Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 22nd October 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
guapo
Mega Forero

Default Do you have Starbucks?

I must have Starbucks coffee on my mind today. I caught an early flight from Milan down to Barcelona this morning for a few days work. Whilst I was trying to wake myself up with an espresso at the airport I watched and listened to a lady from the US trying to order a coffee. She was served a tiny espresso which she looked at with a puzzled expression.

- "what's this?" she asked.
- "a coffee madam" replied the already stressed girl behind the bar.

then in a very loud voice and with a very obvious US accent came the punch-line:

- "I can't drink this. Don't you have Starbucks?"

well it made me laugh anyway (guess I am easily pleased). The point being that Italy must be the only country in Europe which has so far resisted the Starbucks onslaught.

Wandering around Barcelona this afternoon I was amazed at how many there are here now. I was last here only six months ago and I swear the number of Starbucks has tripled in that time.

(make mine a grande latte with an extra shot to go please...)
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Ashley
Forero Senior

Starbucks has outlined their plans for world domination:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/pressdesc.asp?id=705
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:23 PM   #3
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Starbucks has outlined their plans for world domination:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/pressdesc.asp?id=705
from the above press release:

Quote:
If the Company meets its projections and establishes locations in Brazil, Russia, India and Egypt by the end of calendar 2007, Starbucks will have a presence in 40 countries outside the United States.
40 countries!!! There really is no escape, resistance is futile... Though it will be interesting to see how well the formula works in Brazil?
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Alan
El Listo ;)

To be fair, at least their coffee is good. It's not like the other sprawling food and drink outlets that serve you crap. But it does take away the individuality of each little café.

I only found one Starbucks in Valencia - why is it so different to Barcelona?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Edith
Pangolin Forero

I haven't seen Starbucks in Holland so far, but in Amersfoort and Utrecht we have got the Social Ground Coffee Lounge, which is run by Canadians. The people are very friendly and I just love their brownies and carrot cakes, but I still prefer a real espresso or cappuccino, Italian style! In Holland, we are used to drinking strong coffee and I've got an espresso machine at home with cups containing different Italian coffee blends.

Last edited by Edith; 24th October 2006 at 11:20 AM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Brian
Errant in Valencia

We have 4 Starbucks stores in my city of 100,000 people. A little much, in my opinion. But, it's the closest thing to real coffee that we have.

By the way, the joke in my family is that the chain should be renamed "Fourbucks," since it's difficult to find anything less than that price.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:42 PM   #7
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
To be fair, at least their coffee is good. It's not like the other sprawling food and drink outlets that serve you crap.
agreed, I think the coffee could be better, but certainly in the UK we probably have a lot to thank them for.

Quote:
But it does take away the individuality of each little café.
that is definitely the down side. In countries with a strong coffee drinking tradition there is still a lot to be said for the local bar.

Quote:
I only found one Starbucks in Valencia - why is it so different to Barcelona?
No idea, maybe it is just my imagination but there does seem to be way to many.
Old 22nd October 2006, 07:55 PM   #8
guapo
Mega Forero

interesting that they did not land in Holland yet, but then I guess your coffee shops were always a bit different (or is that type of coffee shop not so common now?)
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:27 PM   #9
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
interesting that they did not land in Holland yet, but then I guess your coffee shops were always a bit different (or is that type of coffee shop not so common now?)

I'll let you in on a little secret... I've never visited a 'coffee' shop in my life!
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:41 PM   #10
guapo
Mega Forero

and I bet you get sick of people asking you about them?
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:54 PM   #11
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
and I bet you get sick of people asking you about them?
Yup!

Old 22nd October 2006, 10:59 PM   #12
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
By the way, the joke in my family is that the chain should be renamed "Fourbucks," since it's difficult to find anything less than that price.
Isn't that the crazy thing? An espresso in Italy generally costs €0.80 and a cappuccino €1.20 (less if you are in the south). The trick of Starbucks is to get us to buy what seems like a 1/2 gallon of coffee that cost 3 or 4 times that.
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:40 PM   #13
richardksa
Jedi Forero

The American comedian Lewis Clark has a routine where he claims to have found the "end of the universe"! Apparently somewhere he visited in the states has two Starbucks facing each other across the street. "Why?" he muses, and then reflects that the joke only works with people with alzheimers. They would take their coffee in one starbucks, then on exiting, look across the street and say to each other, "Hey! How about a coffee?"
Well, if you come out of starbucks in the Plaza Callao in Madrid and turn on to the Grand Via, guess what you see?
But then, every second establishment in Madrid seems to be a coffee shop, so why shouldn't Starbucks get a slice of that?
But why do they want your name each time you buy a coffee??????????
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 03:22 PM   #14
Brian
Errant in Valencia

I would propose, though, that there's nothing better than a Spanish cafe solo or cafe con leche, and Starbucks could never compete with the pure joy of such an experience.
Old 23rd October 2006, 04:19 PM   #15
Marina
NFS Admin

I think Starbuks is fine for places with no coffee culture. For example in the UK the coffee is usually quite horrible, is only in coffee shops that you get "medium" quality coffee. In places like Spain or Italy I don't see the point to go to Sturbuks and pay 3 Euros for a coffee when it will cost 1 Euro in the bar around the corner and it will be actually nicer.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 05:01 PM   #16
gary
Samuri Forero

We have a few other (real) coffee places but no starbucks - is it the coffee you like or are we hooked on the flavoured syrups?

I still dont see how they can justify the price for what is after all a cup of bloody cofee that uses hot water and 5p worth of ground beans....

Not for me thanks
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 06:48 PM   #17
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

They certainly haven't reached our rural backwater, but like Gary, I don't think I'd be interested anyway.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:24 PM   #18
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I would propose, though, that there's nothing better than a Spanish cafe solo or cafe con leche, and Starbucks could never compete with the pure joy of such an experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I think Starbuks is fine for places with no coffee culture. For example in the UK the coffee is usually quite horrible, is only in coffee shops that you get "medium" quality coffee. In places like Spain or Italy I don't see the point to go to Sturbuks and pay 3 Euros for a coffee when it will cost 1 Euro in the bar around the corner and it will be actually nicer.
totally agree I think you are both hitting the proverbial nail on the head (como puedo decirlo - dar en el clavo???).

The point is that this morning I left my hotel, turned left and in two minutes was in a very welcoming little bar, drinking a coffee and daydreaming that I lived in Barcelona. Tomorrow I will turn right and I am sure to find another totally different bar. If I go to Starbucks (and there are 4 within 5 minutes walk) they will all be the same as the Starbucks in England.

Un saludo a todos
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:38 PM   #19
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
If I go to Starbucks (and there are 4 within 5 minutes walk) they will all be the same as the Starbucks in England.
And this is what kind of bugs me, the "McDonalds-ization of Europe." Pretty soon you'll see a bloody Wal-Mart on every corner.
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:46 PM   #20
guapo
Mega Forero

I think it was "El Listo" who pointed out a while back that we already have Wal-Mart in the UK (trading as Asda). So I think we are well on the way.