Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 15th August 2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Cide Hamete Benengeli VII
Super Forero

Default Video Editing Software Suggestions Sought

Hello,

Does anyone know how the various video editing software packages (Final Cut, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, AVID, et.) compare to each other? I’m looking for something that I can recommend for use at work. We’re currently using PCs running Windows XP, although we will upgrade to Windows 7 at some point. Don’t know when. Right now we’re using a couple of Sony cameras, a handycam and a HVR-A1U, but we may upgrade at some point.

I’ll probably be the one using the software. The only video editing of done to speak of has been with Windows Movie Maker, which is very limited. We won’t be making the next Hollywood blockbuster or anything. We’ll be mostly doing titles, transitions, and maybe some voiceovers. It will also be important for the software to be flexible with importing/capturing video in different formats and being to output in different formats (MPEG-2, AVI, WMV, etc.) as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cide Hamete Benengeli VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 12:19 AM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cide Hamete Benengeli VII View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know how the various video editing software packages (Final Cut, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, AVID, et.) compare to each other? I’m looking for something that I can recommend for use at work. We’re currently using PCs running Windows XP, although we will upgrade to Windows 7 at some point. Don’t know when. Right now we’re using a couple of Sony cameras, a handycam and a HVR-A1U, but we may upgrade at some point.

I’ll probably be the one using the software. The only video editing of done to speak of has been with Windows Movie Maker, which is very limited. We won’t be making the next Hollywood blockbuster or anything. We’ll be mostly doing titles, transitions, and maybe some voiceovers. It will also be important for the software to be flexible with importing/capturing video in different formats and being to output in different formats (MPEG-2, AVI, WMV, etc.) as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
If not restricted to Windows, how about this?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 05:18 PM   #3
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

I use Sony Vegas, although at times it is far too complicated for me. I suppose it will come down experience and budget.
For free try Virtual Dub.
I have tried Camtasia. I am not so impressed and from a few years ago I have Pinnacle. I found that a bit buggy at times. Maybe a newer version would be ok.

To see what they are like browse youtube for some videos on the one you think you would like to purchase.
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
If not restricted to Windows, how about this?
No need for anything so complicated

iMovie will do everything you need to do and comes free with every Mac. If you are still using xp and intending to upgrade then I would recommend a platform switch to the highest spec Mac you can afford.
iMovie leads naturally into final cut express which is the entry level version of final cut pro - there is virtually nothing you can't do on the express platform, certainly for web publication and it's only about $199 as opposed to $999 for VS's pick (which includes a shed load of pro gear you won't need unless you are making a feature film commissioned by theBBC!!)

Further the new iPhone 4 records and edits video up to 720p resolution and is remarkable. The film of Valencia I made recently can be viewed on a 32" screen with no problem (note - the version published here is compressed by YouTube and so of considerably lower qualify then the original)

Last edited by gary; 18th August 2010 at 08:42 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 02:07 AM   #5
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
No need for anything so complicated

iMovie will do everything you need to do and comes free with every Mac. If you are still using xp and intending to upgrade then I would recommend a platform switch to the highest spec Mac you can afford.
iMovie leads naturally into final cut express which is the entry level version of final cut pro - there is virtually nothing you can't do on the express platform, certainly for web publication and it's only about $199 as opposed to $999 for VS's pick (which includes a shed load of pro gear you won't need unless you are making a feature film commissioned by theBBC!!)
iMovie is cool but is it professionally adequate? The lines are definitely grayer between pro and consumer these days. I did read that final cut express isn't worth the money in that you actually get more functionality out of iMovie.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 19th August 2010 at 02:09 AM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 03:10 PM   #6
jmthomas
Novato

I use Sony Vegas and it does a good job 10.0 platinum version is about 70 usd and has image stabalization capabilities. Although it can take a while to get to grips with it is easier than adobe pried and I think cheaper.

No need to by a whole new machine just to use macs software
jmthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 08:45 PM   #7
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

So Cide Hamete Benengeli VII
What had you bought?
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote