Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > Notes in Spanish Advanced podcast comments

Notices

Old 22nd August 2010, 01:43 PM   #1
ceylon
Forero

Default Me encantan mucho los podcasts de Ben y Marina pero....

.... I wish there was a little less negativity about England!

For example advanced podcast 46 talks of robberies and violence and that England is much more violent than Spain. Well maybe London is....but where I live in the North I don't imagine that crime exceeds the rate of crime in Madrid!

Also podcast 39 about showing affection, again, maybe its a London thing...but.... my family and I always hug and kiss each other on the cheek when we meet!

Sorry Ben and Marina but, as I love the podcasts, but I do feel I have to defend my country in this way!
ceylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 04:30 PM   #2
SrCandas
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon View Post

For example advanced podcast 46 talks of robberies and violence and that England is much more violent than Spain. Well maybe London is....but where I live in the North I don't imagine that crime exceeds the rate of crime in Madrid!

Also podcast 39 about showing affection, again, maybe its a London thing...but.... my family and I always hug and kiss each other on the cheek when we meet!

Sorry Ben and Marina but, as I love the podcasts, but I do feel I have to defend my country in this way!
Ceylon I wouldn't let this get to you too much (if indeed it is ). In my experience the people who most promote negativity about the UK tend to be Brits living abroad (especially those who avoid integration to any level). It is a sort of justification process. That creates a perception. I'm sure that Ben and Marina are offering how things are perceived.

Real life of course is very different than perceptions.

But soon with Ben's and Marina's help you'll be fluent and be able to get a true inpression of things first hand; and put missconceptions straight with people in the street.
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:20 PM   #3
ceylon
Forero

Yeah I guess maybe you are right!

I personally think (likewise for many ppl I'm guessing) that I could adapt quite well to a country such as Spain where they get such nice summers as opposed to here in the UK.

Nevertheless, I still think the UK is a great country to live in and I wouldn't want people from other countries who have never lived in the UK and listening to these podcasts to think otherwise!

But, yes, point taken, I'll try not to become sensitive about it! I still love B & M's conversations and, yes, should I ever become fluent, I'll be sure to spread the word whenever I go over there.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments
Mel
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Uriel
Mega Forero

Don't worry, Ceylon; I'm American and to listen to the international news you'd think we all have to sneak out of our houses Mission: Impossible-style in the morning to avoid the ubiquitous crossfire. Then we spend 8 hours oppressing the poor, dark-skinned, and downtrodden, and go home to polish off a few quarter-pounders with cheese.

Remember that no news is good news, and therefore never gets reported. Take the rest of it with a grain of salt.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 07:17 PM   #5
LindaM
Forero

I agree that perception of countries is often so different to reality. I lived on the South East English coast and in North London and was not aware of any violence or crime rate higher than anywhere else, although with the higher density of population it probably was. I always locked my car doors when driving through London, but I do when I drive through Málaga as well. Plus I always kissed my friends and the younger members of my family when I saw them. I think crime seems worse from a distance as news programmes mostly tell about bad things that happen - good things aren't often newsworthy.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon View Post

I have not heard Ben and Marina's podcasts, but with regards to the violence in England, you have to bear in mind that Ben has lived in Brixton (according to Errant in Iberia, his book) and there is a good deal of violence there. My own experience in Brixton (I have only been three or four times) was going to a hen night in that area, and just before travelling from leafy-west London I had the TV on when they mentioned in the London news that there have been a fight with guns and the rest and several injured. When I arrived by tube in Brixton tube station (and this was still daylight) I was offered drugs at the tube entrance by two people, and the whole night was like a concert of police cars tht we heard from the flat.

I also worked for a year in Croydon and we had a good deal of violence in Casualty.

And when I worked in North Manchester, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays nights used to be quite violent. We used to have minimum of six to ten people from fights in Casualty every night. I particularly remember one night that I was on my own and I had about 15 people coming from a pub that had been hit by a drunk with a broken bottle. The maxilo-facial doctors were quite busy!

On the other hand I have lived in very quiet places in England and Wales. One's opinion depends on one's own experience.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:18 AM   #7
richardksa
Jedi Forero

I wrote about street crime in Madrid on my blog. See:http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.com/20...f-warning.html
(Ben has linked to this post from NFS so I am not breaking rules.) I asked various female friends to comment and several said they felt less safe in the UK than in Spain.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:31 AM   #8
ceylon
Forero

SrCandas - I think I'm understanding even more your point of view!