Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 13th October 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
naturegirl321
Novato

Default Peruvian getting Spanish citizenship?

My husband is Peruvian and I'm American, but Peruvian by marriage. I currently live in Korea and he lives in Peru. we've been looking at moving to Europe, either Italy or Spanish due to the language.

We found out that Peruvians can get dual citizenship if they live legally in Spain for two years. So we thought that if he went to Spain to study a master's programme, then after two years he could apply.

Though we've also been told that it takes up to 24 months to get citizenship, so we would have to find a way to legally to in Spain, I'd imagine, while the paperwork was being processed.

Moneywise, we're fine. We've got passive income from property, and I'm an English teacher, so I'd imagine that I could pick up privates here and there.

Anyone know if this is feasible? To get a student visa for two years, then apply for citizenship and hope that he'd find a job that would allow him to stay another two years until he got citizenship?

thanks so much
naturegirl321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Tumbit
Forero

Obtaining residency in Spain (as a Non-EU Citizen) and Obtaining Spanish Citizenship are 2 completely different things, each with different sets of criteria that each of you will need to fulfill.
- Becoming resident here is the first obstacle that you should focus on - I have attached a guide that may be of some interest to you here - http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/...-citizens.html
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 03:38 PM   #3
naturegirl321
Novato

thanks for the quick response. I realise the difference between residency and citizenship. Spanish residency shoudl be fast and straight forward provided that my husband got accepted into a master's programme.

It's the citizenship that might be an issue. I just want to know if it's feasible or if we should try another country. Spanish seems good because my husband could keep his Peruvian citizenship.
Old 13th October 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Tumbit
Forero

Cool, as long as you are happy that you both meet the criteria of obtaining residency, then by all means look at the next step. If your husband can prove any (recent) Spanish descent then that would of course be much easier, but there are a number of other exceptions and conditions that make giving a simple answer pretty difficult to do .... take a look at this article, which is admitedly only a brief overview, but may be useful to you - http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/...tizenship.html
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 04:31 PM   #5
naturegirl321
Novato

He can't prove Spanish descent. italian, yes, but it goes too far back and no one has info, like names, birth dates, places, etc.

I would piggyback off his visa, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, we'll have to look into it more. He'll be moving back to Korea early next year and we plan on staying here a bit, the money is very very very good. But then Spanish could be an option.
Old 13th October 2010, 04:33 PM   #6
naturegirl321
Novato

Your article is very useful, though Spanish DOES allow Dual citizenship, especially for those from latin america. They feel bad about plundering and pillaging the towns. I guess the advantage for us is that his docs are all in Spanish.