Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > N.I.S. Intermediate podcast comments

Notices

Old 2nd October 2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Notes in Spanish Intermediate 4 - Fobias

What are you afraid of?

Click here to listen, and pick up the worksheet here.

Last edited by Ben; 1st June 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Edith
Pangolin Forero

¡Me ha encantado este podcast! Casi todos tenemos alguna fobia, pero muy poca gente se atreve a decir cuál es la causa de su ansiedad. Muy bien hecho Ben, parece que has superado tu fobia de los vuelos en el avión. Conozco a una pareja que no puede viajar más lejos que Francia porque él tiene mucho miedo al volar. Creo que es una de las fobias más comunes, como la fobia a la oscuridad, a las alturas, a los ratones o a las arañas.

Yo tengo una fobia muy curiosa que no puedo explicar. ¡Tengo miedo al hablar por teléfono en una lengua extranjera! No me puedo expresar muy bien y soy muy consciente de mis errores hablando por teléfono; no sé porqué. Empiezo a sudar y no me salen las palabras.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Flexichick
Super Forero

Hmmmm....I'll have to listen to this tomorrow.

I have survived a few MAJOR plane mishaps....including an emergency landing (plane had an engine fire over the Pacific Ocean - 3 hours away from everything...we were told to prepare for crash water landing) where I had to open the door for the emergency slides and slid into the arms of a bombero.

It was scary to say the least. I still fly...just medicated
Flexichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 05:01 AM   #4
Flexichick
Super Forero

Tengo miedo de los fuegos artificiales y del relampago
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexichick View Post
....including an emergency landing (plane had an engine fire over the Pacific Ocean - 3 hours away from everything...we were told to prepare for crash water landing) where I had to open the door for the emergency slides and slid into the arms of a bombero.
Wow, I think that would be enough to reinstall my fear of flying pretty damn quickly!
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
¡Tengo miedo al hablar por teléfono en una lengua extranjera! No me puedo expresar muy bien y soy muy consciente de mis errores hablando por teléfono; no sé porqué. Empiezo a sudar y no me salen las palabras.
¡Yo creo que eso nos pasa un poco a todos!
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Yo tengo una fobia muy curiosa que no puedo explicar. ¡Tengo miedo al hablar por teléfono en una lengua extranjera! No me puedo expresar muy bien y soy muy consciente de mis errores hablando por teléfono; no sé porqué. Empiezo a sudar y no me salen las palabras.
A mi tampoco me gusta hablar por teléfono en Inglés con alguien que no conozco. Sin embargo si ya conozco el acento de la persona no me resulta tan difícil
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:32 AM   #8
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexichick View Post
Hmmmm....I'll have to listen to this tomorrow.

I have survived a few MAJOR plane mishaps....including an emergency landing (plane had an engine fire over the Pacific Ocean - 3 hours away from everything...we were told to prepare for crash water landing) where I had to open the door for the emergency slides and slid into the arms of a bombero.

It was scary to say the least. I still fly...just medicated
I would be quite scared to fly again if this had happened to me, I'm not surprised that you have to fly meditcated
Old 3rd October 2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Admito que tengo miedo irracional de serpientes. No sé porque, pero de muy joven, eso es mi fobia.

También tengo acrofobia, pero a mi no me molesta volar en avión. A mi no me gusta subir en rascacielos para mirar la vista. Tiene que ser mi herencia irlandés.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Brian, cuál es la relación entre tu herencia irlandesa y tus fobias?

Last edited by Edith; 3rd October 2006 at 06:52 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:02 PM   #11
Flexichick
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I would be quite scared to fly again if this had happened to me, I'm not surprised that you have to fly meditcated

This was the worst experience, but I've had others (plane hit by lightning (probably contributing to my lightning fear)), on a cruise ship that went directly into a hurricane.

Nobody wants to travel with me! I think that's silly. I know where all of the emergency exits are and how to use them

When they ask on a plane if you're willing to help people if you sit near the door I tell them I've already done this so I know how!
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:19 PM   #12
greytop
Hero Forero

One strange phobia I have is the inability to jump off things like swimming pool sides. I'm not afraid of heights & can swim so it must be something about the "edge".
I think cattle & sheep have the same fear, which is why cattle grids work, so maybe I've a form of mad cow disease!
It really caused a problem when I went for marine survival training and had to go in with lifejacket on from the 5m board. Hopefully in a real emergency with my backside on fire I'd have jumped anyway!!!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:40 PM   #13
richardksa
Jedi Forero

You have nothing to fear but fear itself! As President Franklin D. Roosevelt said.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:48 PM   #14
Diana
Super Forero

Just after a minor plane mishap many years ago (a engine fire just before take off and having to exit quickly down the slide with only one of my three preschool children), I began to show signs of claustrophobia while riding in my car through a car wash!!!!. Realizing this could get worse, I rode through the car wash as often as possible, taking about two weeks to get rid of the paniky feeling (probably got rid of some of the paint on the car, too).

For some reason it (luckily) helped with planes also. How else could I visit my son and his family in Chile, my daughters in India, my brother and his family in Puerto Rico and other relatives in New York?

Being about 90% Irish (descent), I am curious about the connection also, Brian????
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 05:11 PM   #15
Marina
NFS Admin

That is a very brave actitude and probably the best one to overcome a fear!!!

I'm amazed by your falmily! each one living in a different country. Can I ask what are your daughters doing in India??? I'd love to go to India soon!!!
Old 3rd October 2006, 07:29 PM   #16
Diana
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
That is a very brave actitude and probably the best one to overcome a fear!!!

I'm amazed by your falmily! each one living in a different country. Can I ask what are your daughters doing in India??? I'd love to go to India soon!!!
Of course you can ask! Here goes: One daughter, Kathy, and her husband, Jochen, took off for India two years ago - searching. They both had spent several years working as psychologists in Munich, she a family therapist and yoga instructor and he in industry. They had both been to India for 6 months several years before and had decided to go back someday before having a family.

They drove in their home-made camper-like vehicle from Germany to India and have documented this (unfortunately for many, almost all in German) under www.lebensweisen.net - also with great pictures.

On the way, they interviewed many people in each country and in India they travelled, meditated, did yoga, listened to monks and studied Eastern philosophies - searching for ways to happiness and freedom in life and a better way to help (as psychologists) others to cope.

They have actually found what they were looking for - interesting enough in "Great Freedom teachings" by an American woman, who gives seminars in Rishikesh each year. (The teachings are very practical, somewhat philosophical, but basically a way to peace of mind and ease of being in daily life. Not at all a religion, useful to anyone and everyone, they say.)

Now they too hold these seminars and plan to drive back to Germany in the spring and start translating them into German.

Our other daughter, Annette, also a psychologist, is with them in Rishikesh preparing to become an instructor too.

By the way, all three love yoga also (and so do I)!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 01:00 AM   #17
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Being about 90% Irish (descent), I am curious about the connection also, Brian????
I don't know if there's a connection, but I just attribute it to my Irish roots, Having descended from a long line of ground-tilling farmers, dizzying heights hold no sway over me.

With the snakes, perhaps it's because there are no snakes in Ireland? Who knows?

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 04:19 PM   #18
Nic
Forero Senior

I'm scared of escalators and lifts

I can't explain it but I always have been. Although once I stayed in a hotel in London and the only stairs they had were the fire exit stairs and you could only use that in an emergency so I had to use the lift... for a whole week. I was terrified... You would have thought that having to use them for a week would have cured me but no.. I'm just as bad if not worse I hate the things.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 04:27 PM   #19
Flexichick
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
By the way, all three love yoga also (and so do I)!

I haven't had a chance to look at the photos yet, but how great! Have you been there to visit (and do yoga) yet?

Flexichick -
(who obviously loves yoga too)
Old 4th October 2006, 04:49 PM   #20
Ashley
Forero Senior

I always take then stairs when I can, too! Combination of mild claustrophobia and a fear of being stuck in an elevator in a fire. I was terrified of fires as a kid after my grandmother told me about the time her house burned down when she was a kid. Ever since, I've been a big fan of fire safety--I just gave my flatmates an 'in case of fire' talk yesterday!

I still get a little nervous at those Japanese steak houses where they have the big flames right at the table. On a field trip with my nursery school class when I was 4, I very calmly evacuated the restaurant when the cooking started, then cried in the lobby for the next 30 mins while my parents took turns sitting with me and waiting for all the food to be cooked...
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote