Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 25th January 2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Angel1968
Forero

Default Reading a book in spanish

Hallo everybody,

I want to read my first book in spanish. Does somebody can give me an advice which book is writen very simple.

Thanks for an answer

Angel
Angel1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1968 View Post
Hallo everybody,

I want to read my first book in spanish. Does somebody can give me an advice which book is writen very simple.

Thanks for an answer

Angel
"Crónica de una muerte anunciada" Gabriel García Márquez.
Don't be tempted to look up every word in a dictionary it is not necessary and spoils the flow of reading. Try as far as possible to understand the general sense of what you are reading from the context. You may not get 100% of what the writer intends but enough to enjoy the story. With practice, you begin to recognise regular sentence structures, uses of words and tenses. You learn more quickly this way (children learn to speak in phrases not word by word.)

Above all- enjoy it!

Last edited by Juanjo; 25th January 2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: More info
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Beckett
Mega Forero

The García Marquez recommendation by Juanjo is a good one. Another to add to the list, in terms of easy to read, is a book by Luis Sepúlveda: "Historia de una gaviota y del gato que le enseñó a volar"

It might also be more manageable reading short stories. Here's a web site with short stories in Spanish: http://www.ciudadseva.com/
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 07:22 PM   #4
la vieja de la manga
Forero Senior

A really easy book would be an Agatha Christie mystery, Hercule Poirot for example. It won't tax the brain and you might even enjoy it.
Try http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/lecturas/intermedio/ and http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/lecturas/inicial/ - these are good reading practice on line but you won't get the complete story. Good luck
la vieja de la manga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Another suggestion for one that is neither too difficult nor has too many pages: El Alquimista by Paulo Coelho.

Juanjo gives good advice regarding not interrupting the flow of reading. I remember hearing a piece of advice a few years ago: that you should take a leap of faith, and not stop reading to look up any words. You might not understand every detail, but if by the end of the book you have at least grasped the gist of the story, then you will have made an achievement. And, according to the theory, the use of various words in context and structures of language will have seeped into your subconscious. Worth giving it a go, at any rate.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Jasminny
Forero

I don't know if you are a Harry Potter fan, but I have the "Tales of Beedle the Bard" in Spanish and English. I read one in Spanish first and then read the English one to see if I understood the point of the story.
Jasminny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
JWood424
Forero

I think short stories are definitely the way to go. I started trying to read a full novel and found myself bogged down trying to look up every word in my dictionary. Ojos de perro azul by Gabriel Garcia Márquez is fairly straightforward and he is a great author. It's 15 or so short stories and they shouldn't be too difficult to grasp.
JWood424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 11:14 PM   #8
charlie14
Novato

Smile Harry Potter???

I want to read a Spanish novel too, and think it perhaps a good idea to read one with a story that I know well so that I don´t get confused and give up.

Everyone knows the HP books and there is a fantastic range of them in Spanish on Amazon which I have ordered....anyone else have any suggestions?

adios
charlie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 04:20 AM   #9
Finster
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminny View Post
I don't know if you are a Harry Potter fan, but I have the "Tales of Beedle the Bard" in Spanish and English. I read one in Spanish first and then read the English one to see if I understood the point of the story.
I've read one Harry Potter in Spanish, and I've started a second. I have found them to be pretty good for a beginner.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Angel1968
Forero

Default Hallo everybody

Hallo everybody,

thank you very much for all the advices. I think I would find now the right book for the first time. And it's right, I don't have to translate every word - it is just important to understand the sense.

I think Harry Potter is a very good idea, because I saw the first episode on tv (but in german). English is foreign languages for me.

Hasta pronto en ese foro

Angel
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
Another suggestion for one that is neither too difficult nor has too many pages: El Alquimista by Paulo Coelho.

Juanjo gives good advice regarding not interrupting the flow of reading. I remember hearing a piece of advice a few years ago: that you should take a leap of faith, and not stop reading to look up any words. You might not understand every detail, but if by the end of the book you have at least grasped the gist of the story, then you will have made an achievement. And, according to the theory, the use of various words in context and structures of language will have seeped into your subconscious. Worth giving it a go, at any rate.
Well el alquimista was the first and only book I have read cover to cover in spanish.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Kralizec
Ací n'hi han dracs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
You can actually check that theory in English by reading A Clockwork Orange; you'll end up understanding the Nadsat words in the book even if you don't look them up.
Kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 06:00 PM   #13
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
You can actually check that theory in English by reading A Clockwork Orange; you'll end up understanding the Nadsat words in the book even if you don't look them up.
Horrorshow!
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 03:12 PM   #14
Heather
Salsera

Haven't posted for a while so hello again everyone and back to learning Spanish. had to post on this though as i find not looking up the words almost impossible. whilst i get the general gist it really annoys me that i don't understand exactly what is happening and can find i am thinking one thing has happened when in fact something altogether different is going on- very frustrating.

However as so many people say to do this I am going to take that leap of faith and try a little bit harder - thanks for the advice.
Heather
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Culebronchris
Peino canas

I just borrowed one from the local library called Tinto de Verano by Elvira Lindo.

It's loaded with everyday Spanish but it's got really big print and each chapter is only 3 or 4 pages long (they were originally a daily column in a newspaper.) It's dead easy to read without being simple and it would please Ben in its use of "really useful Spanish."
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Lobo
Lobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1968 View Post
Hallo everybody,

Thanks for an answer

Angel
You estoy leyendo New Penguin Parallel Text Short Stories in Spanish. Disponible de Amazon.
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Angel1968
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
You estoy leyendo New Penguin Parallel Text Short Stories in Spanish. Disponible de Amazon.
Hola Lobo,

he leído unos textos pequeños como cuentos de hadas. Empiezo a leer un libro (Posdata: te amo - P.S. I love you). Pienso que es un contentido más dificil (espero que si - pero solamente he leído dos paginas).

Hasta luego

Angel
Old 22nd February 2009, 06:46 PM   #18
katieee
Novato

Um, when I was learning German I found that Harry Potter was a really good first book to read. I knew the plot already and the vocabulary was very simple... not very Spanish though. :/
katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Nitram
JohnG

Default Psiquiatras, Psicólogos y otros enfermos by Rodrigo Muñoz Avia

Hi Book Lovers,

I picked this novel up in BCN airport, whilst on the way back to London and wanted to have something to keep my Spanish ticking over whilst here for 2 weeks.

I have read the odd book in Spanish and lots of newspaper articles, but this book has gripped me from start to ...so far ...... 2/3 of the way through. It is a laugh out loud tale of a man, whose life seems happy and stable until, he ends up being coaxed into a pyschiatric consultation with his brother-in-law. This begins a chain reaction of events, leading to his life unravelling.

It explores themes of normalcy, the family and human behaviour.

The language is quite advanced, but because just about every page is full of witty humour, it makes you want to keep reading on and on, instead of going to the dictionary to look up the words that you do not understand. Having said this - some words and phrases do sustain my curiosity, so I tend to underline them and look them up in the dictionary later.

Anyway, I hope you like this recommendation and if you do let me know,

John.
Nitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:47 PM   #20
lazarus1907
Forero Senior

The first time I tried to read a book in English, my vocabulary was rather rudimentary, and I chose a normal novel, not one for beginners. I had to look up easily between 5 to 10 words per line, or more (I didn't know words like "so", "since",...), and I wrote them all down as I went along. I didn't really enjoy what I read, and it was hard, but half way through the book I was only checking a few words per page, at worst. After that, I started enjoying the books I read, but I'm sure my method is not the ideal one.

In German I used simplified books for students with the translation on one page, and the key vocabulary at the bottom of the German page. I avoided the translated page most of the time, and I found it quite useful, almost enjoyable (when I realized I could actually understand what I was reading).

Last edited by lazarus1907; 2nd March 2009 at 10:49 PM.
lazarus1907 is offline   Reply With Quote