Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 3rd September 2008, 11:10 AM   #121
Legazpi
Mega Forero

La Cabina (dir. Antonio Mercero, 1972)

A short movie in a similar style to the "Tales Of The Unexpected" series. It's on youtube, but better to track down the original version if you can. Very creepy.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 11:41 PM   #122
piperemirip3
Emily_La_Ciudad_de_NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbella View Post
I'd recommend listening to this BBC radio programme on Don Quixote although I found the English pronunciation of "Quixote" irritating (as in the English "quixotic", "kwiks-ot-ik"):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...20060316.shtml

Film favourites? Nothing surpasses Almodovar's Hable con Ella (Talk to Her). The soundtrack is perfect and Javier Camara as Benigno is just a brilliant performance. Like most Spanish films, particularly Almodovar's, there is a surreal aspect and this just adds to the genius of the film. Love this film and you will [or already do] love Spain.

Andrew

I loved reading Cervantes, but I find modern poetry (i.e. Storni, julia de burgos -- who ironically enough, is not from the burgos in spain, apparently -- neruda and other modern poets to be much more entertaining, albiet much more hard to analyze, to read.

As for movies, I think the most classic of the ones I've seen in spanish are mar aldentro, which OMG I loved, and Pan's Labrynth, which won so many awards that it speaks for itself. Also, if you like more documentary-like films, Paloma de Papel was good, although I started to cry :,-( Lastly, I have had three teachers in a row show me "motorcycle diaries" for those new to spanish. My recommendation, however, is that you read up on che guevara before you watch it though
piperemirip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 06:23 PM   #123
calentita
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbella View Post
I'd recommend listening to this BBC radio programme on Don Quixote although I found the English pronunciation of "Quixote" irritating (as in the English "quixotic", "kwiks-ot-ik"):

Andrew
the french say Don - Qui Chotte

Donkey Shot. I kept thinking what? who shot a donkey and why are you suddenly speaking english? One french conversation that got away from me.....

I'm after some really funny spanish comedy - like a father Ted in spanish, or Black books - silly quirky stuff - any suggestions?
calentita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 06:30 PM   #124
calentita
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronco View Post
My all time favourite Spanish film is "You're the one (una historia de entonces)" - Director: José Luis Garci. It's a wonderful and beautiful film.

I also loved "Abre los ojos". The scene where the Gran Via in Madrid is completely empty is amazing. If you have ever been to the Gran Via, you would know what I am taking about
Generally, I think the acting in Spanish movies is fantastic.

Thanks
yes i loved abre los ojos must watch that again, would recommend it to anyone
you can start watching it here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRIOcbcF0s
it was remade with tom cruise as Vanilla Sky- not a patch on the original although i like the titile

Last edited by calentita; 6th December 2008 at 06:35 PM.
calentita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 06:51 PM   #125
Domca
Soy la leche

ahora mismo, leo 'el otro arbol de guernica' por luis de castresana, que es sobre la guerra civil, y de su punto de vista como un hijo que ha sido 'evacuado?' a frances.

la peli mas me gusta es los diarios de motocicleta, me encanta
Domca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 04:13 PM   #126
Melocoton
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilano View Post

Finally, about twenty or so years ago, there was a strike on BBC or ITV one saturday evening. I was about 10 and was allowed to stay up for Match of the Day or whatever. Instead, we sat transfixed for 40 minutes watching an utterly terrifying, almost silent 1970's Spanish movie called La Cabina, about a man trapped in a telephone box. I had almost forgotten about it when I read about how a whole generation of British kids had been utterly freaked out by that movie. My brother managed to download a copy from YouTube and it's still one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen not least for the lead actor's moustache and 70's flared beige trousers!
Dilano - I thought I was the only person in the world to have seen that horrific film! Probably because I was so traumatised by it that I never mention it to anyone, and if the memory of it pops up in my head, I have to repress it ruthlessly by thinking of fluffy animals, the credit crunch, anything.... Since I saw it, if I ever have to enter a telephone box, I always keep the door propped open with my handbag.
Melocoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 08:39 PM   #127
kenpeace
Super Forero

I recently watched [.rec]. I'm not really a horror/fright film fan, but I would imagine that in that genre it's pretty good - most of the other horror films that I have seen have been pretty poor.

I also watched El Orfenato and thought that that was OK too.

Why do I watch horror if I don't really like it? That's my family - wife and teenage kids. I add to the mix by the occasional Spanish offering.

FWIW - In .rec, the scenes in the Fire Station with the TV presenter were relatively good practice for my intermediate level Spanish. I covered up the subtitles with my glass of Rioja and just listened.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 09:43 PM   #128
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
Dilano - I thought I was the only person in the world to have seen that horrific film! Probably because I was so traumatised by it that I never mention it to anyone, and if the memory of it pops up in my head, I have to repress it ruthlessly by thinking of fluffy animals, the credit crunch, anything.... Since I saw it, if I ever have to enter a telephone box, I always keep the door propped open with my handbag.
That sounds familiar! Did it end with him being carted off still trapped in the phone box on the back of truck?
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 03:23 AM   #129
aintza
Forero

Ooh, I love this thread. I've been reading through and adding tons of books to my Bookmooch and Amazon lists.

++Books++

* The Basque History of the World [Mark Kurlansky] - One of the most beautiful books ever written about my people. I also love the ancient recipes he's included and the attention to everything from the civil war to the txapela (beret).
* The Basque Country [Paddy Woodsworth]
* The New Spaniards [John Hooper]
* Driving over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucía [Chris Stewart]
* Spanish Lessons: Beginning a New Life in Spain [Derek Lambert]
* Spain: The Root and the Flower (An interpretation of Spain and the Spanish People) [John A. Crow]
* Spanish Recognitions: The Roads to the Present [Mary Lee Settle]
* De mis pasos en la tierra [Francisco Ayala]
* Morbo: The Story of Spanish Football [Phil Ball]
* Bodas de Sangre [Federico García Lorca]
* Don Quijote [Cervantes]
* Noli me Tangere & El Filibusterismo [Jose P. Rizal]
* The Basques, the Catalans and Spain: Alternative Routes to Nationalist Mobilisation [Daniele Conversi]

++Films++

* Volver [Pedro Almodóvar]
* Camarón [Jaime Chávarri]
aintza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 11:16 AM   #130
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintza View Post
* The Basque History of the World [Mark Kurlansky] - One of the most beautiful books ever written about my people. I also love the ancient recipes he's included and the attention to everything from the civil war to the txapela (beret).
Certainly an interesting book, but hardly a "history", more a polemical novel!
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 11:37 AM   #131
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentita View Post

Donkey Shot. I kept thinking what? who shot a donkey and why are you suddenly speaking english? One french conversation that got away from me.....

I'm after some really funny spanish comedy - like a father Ted in spanish, or Black books - silly quirky stuff - any suggestions?
Have you tried Camera Cafe? you can watch it in youtube
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 12:31 PM   #132
aintza
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo View Post
Certainly an interesting book, but hardly a "history", more a polemical novel!
It certainly is controversial... and I guess I'll leave it at that.
Old 18th January 2009, 02:46 PM   #133
Kendra
Forero

Default Easy Spanish books?

I am interested in recommendations of good books that are fairly easy to read (intermediate level). Note that this question is a slightly different from asking "What is your your *favorite* book?" I'm wondering who are the good Spanish writers (contemporary fiction or nonfiction, not interested in poetry) or classical literary figures who are relatively simple to read. This may be a good question for Spanish teachers to answer.
Kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 11:01 AM   #134
NicSiddle
Forero

Default Easier books in Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
I am interested in recommendations of good books that are fairly easy to read (intermediate level). Note that this question is a slightly different from asking "What is your your *favorite* book?" I'm wondering who are the good Spanish writers (contemporary fiction or nonfiction, not interested in poetry) or classical literary figures who are relatively simple to read. This may be a good question for Spanish teachers to answer.
Kendra - suggest that you get hold of a copy in translation of "The boy in the striped pyjamas" (El niño con el pijamas de rayas). I read this on holidays last year. Whilst not a Spanish author, the language and sentence construction is fairly straightforward (perhaps echoing English construction). I would class myself as lower intermediate in terms of ability. I have also tried reading "Marina" by Carlos Ruíz Zafón but whilst I can basically translate it, the construction is much more Spanish and it is difficult to maintain the pace of reading.

Hope this helps

Nic
NicSiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 12:41 PM   #135
Kendra
Forero

thanks, I'll check it out.
Kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 02:13 PM   #136
tad
virtual idiot

Like the suggestion above 'El curioso incidente del perro a media noche'
was not written in Spanish, but I think it was one of the easier books that I have read translated to Spanish. The story is told through the eyes of an autistic child.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 03:02 PM   #137
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
Like the suggestion above 'El curioso incidente del perro a media noche'
was not written in Spanish, but I think it was one of the easier books that I have read translated to Spanish. The story is told through the eyes of an autistic child.
I recommend it as well- it is true to life. (We have autism in the family!)
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 06:51 PM   #138
Domca
Soy la leche

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentita View Post

family guy - padre de familia- is very good in spanish
Domca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 12:44 AM   #139
aintza
Forero

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but I love Carlos Saura's flamenco trilogy: Bodas de Sangre, Carmen and El Amor Brujo.

All three feature the late Antonio Gades, one of the best flamenco dancers, in my opinion. I also loved seeing a young José Mercé in Bodas de Sangre and Paco de Lucía in Carmen.
Old 30th March 2009, 06:31 PM   #140
Alison B
Alison B

Default Great book about Galicia

I just read Everything but the Squeal: Eating the Whole Hog in Northern Spain by John Barlow, an English food writer who lives in Corun~a. He details his quest to eat every part of the pig in Galicia in one year. He describes festivals, traditions and daily life in almost every corner of the province, some very remote, and meets some very interesting people. I enjoyed learning more about Galicia and really liked his descriptive and snappy writing style. I recommend this book!
Alison B is offline   Reply With Quote