Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 5th June 2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Marbella

Default London Luton

I nearly bought some wine online yesterday until I saw this description of one wine:

"Navarrsotillo is a medium sized but wholly organic estate towards the more Mediterranean end of the area of Rioja."

On that basis I could say that the grim area of South London I'm living in is more towards the Parisian end of the area of London.
Old 5th June 2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbella
...the more Mediterranean end of the area of Rioja.
That is a bit geographically optimistic!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Marina
NFS Admin

They don't know what to do to sell wine
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Marbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
They don't know what to do to sell wine
Well, they could reduce the price because here we can't afford to drink Rioja! We will always buy Spanish, particularly Rioja, but I'm afraid French wines are cheaper, and of a better and more consistent quality.

What makes Rioja so expensive in comparison?
Old 6th June 2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

Bad marketing and business model?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 10:33 AM   #6
catavino
Wine Newbie

Ego!

That sums it up the best. Rioja is the producer of some of the best wines in Spain and sadly a ton of the worse wines in Spain, and mainly the fault lies with the producers figuring the name can carry them. They know others will pay more for the name. As far as getting good value out of Spain, for now stay out of Rioja. Rioja you need a minimum of 10euros(better 20-30) to get good high quality wine. On the other hand LaMancha you can get high quality for 5-15euros, or Bierzo(insane reds for great prices), penedes, alicante, mentrida, and many more! Seriously don't think Spain=Rioja, Rioja is a region in Spain, one of 70+ that make wine, and if your looking for value you won't find it necessarily in Rioja.

I do love good Rioja, but with all the tasting I've been doing lately I haven't found the same quality for the same prices that I have found in other regions.

Just my two cents,

Ryan

Last edited by catavino; 6th June 2006 at 10:48 AM.
catavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Marbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by catavino
Ego!
Spot on I think. For a couple of years a while back Rioja was the red wine here but now the competition is beating the Rioja bodegas on price/quality (which is healthy I guess).

Aren't the Riojanos making Cava now?
Old 6th June 2006, 11:44 AM   #8
catavino
Wine Newbie

Cava is a DO that can be made anywhere in Spain if it is approved. It's the only "traveling" DO. As of now, I don't know if there is any approved DO Cava for the LaRioja Region, though there maybe a sparkling wine or two made in Rioja that is non DO

For some great Cava from a new area look, for ones with the address of extremedura....some interesting stuff coming out. Wish I had a few names for you
Old 6th June 2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Marbella

Default Cava from La Rioja

Catavino - itīs good to have someone with your knowledge on the forum, thanks!

On a trip to Extremadura a couple of years ago we shunned our usual Rioja and tried the local table wine. It was surprisingly good and although our loyalty is still with Rioja (family reasons) it did wake us up to wines from other Spanish regions.

I found this company in La Rioja making cava but maybe it is non-DO?

http://www.vino.com/wineries/spain/t...=2891&cr_ID=52
Old 6th June 2006, 12:37 PM   #10
catavino
Wine Newbie

No itīs DO, there is a stretch of DO cava that runs through Rioja when I look closer at the map I have. Iīll have to check but I know I havenīt tried much of this wine. One problem with the DO cava is they only allow white varietals in their wines. Unlike Champange where you can use PinotNoir. For this reason, some great sparkling wine in Spain will never be labeled DO cava, as producers try to add body to their wines with native red grapes.

Glad to be here, and feel free to send me questions at any time, Iīll try to answer them when I can.

ryan