Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 17th September 2007, 04:55 PM   #1
El Niño
Forero

Default Which accent to go for?

Pimsleur used the neutral or south american accent i.e ZaragoSa not ZaragoTHa, I'm going to be using Assimil next which is Spanish from Spain so uses the 'th' pronunciation, obviously I'd be visiting Spain mostly as I'm in the UK, does it matter which I use or would you recommend one over the other?

Gracias
El Niño is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 05:46 PM   #2
ZeroTX
Texan

It makes the most sense (to me) to mimick the accent of the country that you plan to visit the most. The "th" pronunciation, to me, just makes it really hard to decipher what people are saying in many instances, especially words spoken quickly (in which the "th" sound just disappears into nothing, while an "s" sound is quite clear). However, if I was in the UK and planning to mostly travel to Spain, I'd learn how they speak it there....

Since I live in Texas, I'm learning the Latin American pronunciation, but I listen to podcasts, etc, with the Spanish form. It's more difficult to decipher, but not impossible.

-Michael
ZeroTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Zarita
Novata

What are some other accent differences between Castilian and Latin American Spanish I should look out for? I'm from Texas and plan to use my Spanish in Mexico and Latin America, but I'm using some resources that teach the Spain-style accent.
Zarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 09:51 PM   #4
ZeroTX
Texan

Well, some Latin Americans use an unusual pronunciation of the Spanish "ll" letter combination. If you listen, it normally sounds somewhat like an English "y" sound in most places, but many Latin Americans make it sound like an English "j" sound. This is not universal and is, in fact, some sort of regional difference in different parts of Mexico and other Latin American countries.

Of course, the overall "accent" is different in all Spanish speaking countries. The Mexican accent is relatively easy to listen to once you are accustomed to it. Costa Ricans have a sort of "sing-song" way of speaking that is sort-of pleasant, if not a bit distracting, to listen to. Cubans have a really muddled indecipherable way of speaking Spanish
ZeroTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Zarita
Novata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Well, some Latin Americans use an unusual pronunciation of the Spanish "ll" letter combination. If you listen, it normally sounds somewhat like an English "y" sound in most places, but many Latin Americans make it sound like an English "j" sound. This is not universal and is, in fact, some sort of regional difference in different parts of Mexico and other Latin American countries.
Eeenteresting . . . yes, so far I have found that Mexican Spanish is the easiest to understand through listening. On one learning CD I had, the speakers pronounced a "y" like a soft "j" - like, "Jo voy a la tienda" instead of "Yo voy." I wonder where that comes from.
Zarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 12:15 AM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

My Spanish accent is largely European but as far as listening skills are concerned, I'm trying to get used to a variety of accents. I'm interested in the Spanish-speaking world as a whole (Spain and Mexico being my favorite countries) and I listen to several podcasts from Spain and Latin America.

Of course, Spanish has got many regional 'dialects' and vocabularies (regionalismos) but every country also has a generic version of its own which enables people from all over the Spanish-speaking world to communicate with each other.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 06:03 AM   #7
El Niño
Forero

So most of Spain uses the 'th' sound?
Old 18th September 2007, 07:39 AM   #8
angeltreats
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Niño View Post
So most of Spain uses the 'th' sound?
Andalusía doesn't, nor do the Canary Islands. Canarian accents are actually far more like an accent from say Venezuela than from mainland Spain. I worked in Gran Canaria for a while and to this day I find it very hard to pronounce the S on the end of a word. Or to say España instead of Ehpaña
angeltreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Rama
Forero

Like el niño, I am learning from Pimsleur and am quite concerned that I may have made a bad decision. The fact is there is far more learning materials available to learn South American Spanish then there are for European Spanish. So long as I can be understand I don't suppose it matters. I'd just like some reassurance that I'll be ok.
Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 09:56 AM   #10
spiderwomann
Forero

The "j" sound in "ll" is something very characteristic of Argentina, most specifically in Buenos Aires. I spent about a month there this summer and it was very obvious--"jo (yo) voy a comprar poi-joh (pollo) y se-boi-jah (cebolla)." Also: "A-jah" (ella) and "eye-jah" (alla). I have never heard of this particular accent being used much in other regions..has anyone else?

I agree that the best plan is to try and pick up the accent of the region you are going to be visiting the most often, but there is huge diversity of accents within Latin America. Bolivians and Perivians both have reputations for having very "good" standard Spanish "correct" (ie, formal) accents, while Chileans and Cubans have reputations for having very unique pronunciations and accents.

It seems to me that anyone living in the States would be safe to focus mainly on a Mexican accent since there is a wealth of free resources--television channels, radio stations etc. The Mexican accent is also fairly standard.

Finally, despite my inclination to use more of a Chilean accent, it only takes me a couple of minutes to slip into a more Argentine or Mexican dialect, depending on who I am speaking to. And I guess in reality I will prob always sound somewhat like a gringa!
spiderwomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 05:58 PM   #11
Eriol
ElJustin

well because i have learned from argentinians, the argentinian accent is IMO the best. I also like the accent from spain, but my fav is most definetly from Argentina. Like he said above, pollo --> "posho" and playa --> "plasha." You will find this strongest in Buenos Aires, where the "porteños" are, but also in Santa Fe and other parts of Argentina the speak in varying degrees like this. In parts of Uruguay its very difficult to differentiate the argentinians from the uruguayos as well.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 02:33 AM   #12
Catica
Forero Senior

I would say, just try to mimic whatever you hear. I think something people forget is no matter how hard we try, as close as we get, we will likely never completely lose our native accents. And I really wouldn't be put off by that. So I'd go ahead and mimic the Assimil accents, or whatever's around you, the best you can. Your accent will likely change as you have more opportunities to speak with native speakers anyway.
Catica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 03:39 AM   #13
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

I used to really like Spanish from Spain - until watching dozens of badly-dubbed (usually old) movies while living here. I, like I believe many in Latin America, groan when the movie starts and you hear an Madrid accent. And 80's VHS movies on long distance buses with bad speakers, dubbed in a Madrid accent, can be seriously detrimental to your health.

The Madrid accent still remains one of my top easiest to understand though, I'd prefer it over incomprehensible Chilean or Caribbean/Venezuelan, squeaky Central American and just plain incorrect Argentinian. (My opinions)

My favourite accent is Mexican.

I have no idea if it is easy to switch accents depending on where you are... I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. I now get tongue-tied trying to say difi-TH-il.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 06:07 AM   #14
El Niño
Forero

I guess it depends where you are likely to go most, many people did tell me to stay away from the Argentine accent and that Mexican was clearest but I'm going to be in Spain more than anywhere else so I guess the Madrid accent is worth mimicking.
Old 20th September 2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Here is a small collection of national accents from all over Latin America. They were collected by Sofía from Argentina, who runs a language weblog called 'Desde el baño':

http://desdeelbano.blogspot.com/search/label/Acentos

Countries like Mexico seem to have a wide range of regional sub-accents because its population is very diverse.

From my own experience, I would say that some Mexicans are very easy to understand whereas others speak some kind of regional dialect or urban slang. The four Mexicans in the audio sample have different accents.

Last edited by Edith; 20th September 2007 at 10:02 AM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 03:01 PM   #16
richardksa
Jedi Forero

This morning I witnessed three Spaniards from different regions argue about the pronunciation of "Paella", so us poor guirris will never win.

Pimsleur is the wrong accent for most of the Spanish peninsular, but any resource for learning the language is good. The differences are akin to Uk and US English, so no really big deal.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote