Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 5th February 2008, 07:02 AM   #21
Acosta
Mega Forero

Well nice lively discussion.

Tomorrow, is the day to vote in my wonderful state of Khaylifornia (thank Arnold).

My heart is leaning towards voting for Barak.

My logical mind is leaning towards Billary.

But, honestly tomorrow I will vote for Barak. I do have concerns about two things 1) his experience level if he makes it all the way 2) The gawd aweful smear job the right wing machine will do to do.

But with the said I will vote for him and embrace hope and youthfullness.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Dave_K
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
have the country by the balls, keeping it in fear, hyping new threats to maintain and increase powers. You now have a president who's sole aim in the past 8 years was to start a war with Iraq that would fund the corporate war machine that is owned by the elite, and raise oil prices that make them yet richer.
1-20-09....it will all be over then.
Dave_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:48 PM   #23
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
1-20-09....it will all be over then.
What happens on that date? Armageddon? The second coming of Christ?
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:55 PM   #24
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Or perhaps the same old same old.

To me, Obama gives me the same missgivings as Tony Blair - a man I never liked or trusted. It has to be Hillary.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 05:31 PM   #25
richardksa
Jedi Forero

And I have just seen this on "Se lo que hicisteis" on Sexta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKsoXHYICqU

Blair type hype if ever I saw it.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 05:39 PM   #26
Dave_K
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
What happens on that date? Armageddon? The second coming of Christ?
It's less about someone coming than it is about someone going.
Old 5th February 2008, 08:13 PM   #27
Juanjo
Lorquista

Default Same old-same old

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Or perhaps the same old same old.

To me, Obama gives me the same missgivings as Tony Blair - a man I never liked or trusted. It has to be Hillary.
"Same old, same old" is correct! No matter who gets in US foreign policy will still be run by the pro-Israel, oil and armaments lobbies.

Juanjo
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 09:26 PM   #28
Dave_K
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo View Post
"Same old, same old" is correct! No matter who gets in US foreign policy will still be run by the pro-Israel, oil and armaments lobbies.

Juanjo
I don't think the idea that "it makes no difference" is correct. The most concrete example is the Iraq war. If McCain wins, it will continue. If Obama wins, it will end. If Gore had won, it never would've happened in the first place.

I thought this was the foreign-policy issue that Europeans were so mad at us about. And who's in the White House makes every difference on this issue.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:13 AM   #29
Juanjo
Lorquista

Default Wishful thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
I don't think the idea that "it makes no difference" is correct. The most concrete example is the Iraq war. If McCain wins, it will continue. If Obama wins, it will end.

¡Ojalá! But he won't win the presidential race! Big Oil, the armaments/industrial complex, AIPAC, ADL and the Presidents of Major Jewish Organisations will ensure that either McCain or Clinton has a big enough war chest to ensure victory. [It would not be surprising if there was a major terrorist outrage before the election, aimed at inflaming US patriotic fervour to ensure the status quo in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Palestine continues.]

Sadly, the US usually has "the best government money can buy"!

Juanjo
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Pepino
Soy La Leche!

I find Hillary a little bit scary, but given that she´s probably had every dark secret and potential (or real) scandal already exposed and analysed, there´s probably very little new stuff that the Republicans can throw at her during the final part of the race. Whereas less is known about Obama, and I hear that the Republicans have a pretty good reputation when it comes to dirt-digging. So, in order to ensure the best chance that a Democrat will win the Presidency in the long run, I would vote for Hillary, despite the unsettling feeling she gives me (especially when she does that god-awful laugh of hers that was in the news recently).

Of course, I´m not American, so the vote isn´t in my hands

PS. On a lighter note, I saw Obama´s wife on the news the other day for the first time. She looks very much like Condolezza Rice, no? My first thought was, "Now there´s a woman who knows how to prepare for impending redundancy.... marry one of the upcoming favourites!"

Last edited by Pepino; 6th February 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Mini typo as usual
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 02:17 PM   #31
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Obama just swept his 9th democratic primary in a row, putting him ahead of Hillary. He won DC, Virginia and Maryland last night. I voted Obama even though initially I wanted Hillary and this same thought pattern seems to be repeated amongst many Obama supporters. He has certainly put Hillary in the defensive. She would have to take the remaining states; Ohio, Wisconsin and Texas, which seems unlikely given how she has done in the polls in those states. On the republican side, McCain has beaten Huckabee but in Virginia it was a close race between the two. Huckabee is favored by the christian conservatives, which is a needed group by republicans. So if McCain wins on the republican side, he will have to court the conservatives, which he has not done so well lately. At this point it looks like it could be Obama in the Whitehouse but a lot can happen between now and November. Stay tuned...
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 04:10 PM   #32
Ben
Hero Forero

Thanks for the update! I hope Obama makes it...
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 06:08 PM   #33
Edith
Pangolin Forero

For those of you who are interested in American politics: here's a link to El Bloguipodio, a website run by two Peruvian-Americans whose lengthy Spanish-language podcasts are great for your listening skills.

http://www.losblogueros.net/elbloguipodio/
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 06:12 PM   #34
Dave_K
Super Forero

I've found bookmakers' odds to be far better predictors than any polls or pundits' opinions. If they weren't so accurate, they'd be out of business (unlike pollsters and pundits).

FWIW, these are the approximate prices currently on offer at William Hill, Ladbrokes, Betfair et al. for next US president:

Obama 1-1
McCain 3-2
Hillary 7-2
Old 13th February 2008, 07:22 PM   #35
Palmerito
El Perro

Obama has momentum, to be sure. However, Hillary is supposed to do well in the primaries of March and April which carry a lot of delegates. The delegates are apportioned proportionally to the vote count - not winner take all as in the Republican contests. The worry is that the vote count up to the convention in August will be so close that there will be no decisive winner and the decision will come down to the Super delegates - that is a scenario that nobody wants to see.

If momentum does give the win to Obama, I hope that he asks Hillary to be his running mate. That is what many in the democratic party see as a "dream team".
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:17 AM   #36
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Doesn't seem like it any more. Even her sponsors are backing off.

I like Obama's wife's attitude. She is firm, but discrete and "in her place". Hillary never was. Why not say it : she bore with her husband's lies and unfaithfulness because she was reaching higher. Seldom have I seen such a calculating woman. Calculating and cold like a fish. Ah...and her tears (again!!!) haven't fooled anybody this time!!

Jesus! I hope he won't. In any case, I suppose she would, being the calculating fish she is. Better second choice than nothing, her fate in life as it seems.

I think this young man is amazing, strong, fresh in his thoughts, nice family man, good and strong handshake, natural, a fighter.

I saw him on the Jay Leno show. No doubt the best.
You know Barak was at a coffeehouse the day before yesterday in my neighborhood and I missed it!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 04:39 AM   #37
Palmerito
El Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Doesn't seem like it any more. Even her sponsors are backing off.

I like Obama's wife's attitude. She is firm, but discrete and "in her place". Hillary never was. Why not say it : she bore with her husband's lies and unfaithfulness because she was reaching higher. Seldom have I seen such a calculating woman. Calculating and cold like a fish. Ah...and her tears (again!!!) haven't fooled anybody this time!!

Wow!
See,... this is why Hillary would have a hard time bringing democrats and republicans together... just this kind of perception that you display. It's a perception which a lot of people express, just as you do (especially, Republicans). I don't really understand the hatred towards her. I just don't see it - never have. I like her. But I like Barack, too. The negative attitudes towards Hillary will be her downfall, no matter how capable she is. And that is a pity. Because I do believe she would be an extremely capable president on all fronts.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 10:55 AM   #38
eldeano
He's the most tip top

No puedo leer verde.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:14 AM   #39
greytop
Hero Forero

Even if he is Osama in disguise I can't imagine the Senate sitting around while he turns USA into an Iranian subsidiary. Typical scaremongering tactics of someone who is worried they are slipping!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:34 PM   #40
saiguanas
Super Forero

It's funny how the climate of the situation changes your perception.

If you had a terrible disease, where would you want to go for the best healthcare? (not the "free-ist")

If the Nazis or Soviets or China were "annexing" your country and you could only have one country come to your defense, which country would it be?

If you're catholic or christian, why do you vote democrat rather than republican if you really believe what your church says they believe.

I know some of you have never lived in America and only get the picture that CNN or BBC wants to show you but there is a reason that we have had a Republican President for 28 of the last 40 years. We're not stupid people. Now anybody that tells you that ANY politician is honest and just an all around great guy, is full of it. I mean, "politics" comes from "poly" meaning "many" and "tics" being "blood sucking parasites.

It's funny how most, not all, that criticize another person for not being what they expect or want are usually not doing anything towards helping any of the things that they say they care about other than complaining.

My outlook on how anyone else sees me is this. If they disagree with me, that's fine. If they hate me because they disagree with me, that's their problem not mine. If I really and truly believe in what I say, I don't have to feel guilty. If I change my mind or the circumstances change I should be true to myself and let myself change for me not for anyone else.
saiguanas is offline   Reply With Quote