Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 10th May 2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Darko&Maria
Forero

Default Is NIE necessary for buying used car?

Hello all.

After recently arriving in Spain I want to buy a used car but I would rather not wait for the whole NIE "procedure" right now (and travel to apply since you can't do it where I live).

Is it necessary for making the transaction and more important to transfer it to my name? I have read somewhere that it is but I also read you need NIE to open a bank account which I did without it. I will get a NIE of course, but can't do it right now if not necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If it matters, I plan to buy the car from a dealer lot, not private advert.
Darko&Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:40 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

Have a look here - it explains the process in some detail.
Google "buying cars spain" if you want more.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
kenpeace
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Have a look here - it explains the process in some detail.
Wow! Queues seem to feature significantly. I thought that it was only the British that queued for everything. How wrong was I.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 02:40 PM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

When we arrived I made 4 trips to Alicante (200km round trip) to Tráfico to get my wife's license transferred to a Spanish one. Each time they came up with a different requirement. On trip 4 I'm afraid I made a bit of a scene and insisted on getting a supervisor. It took her about 30 minutes to sort it out.
I'm sure any Spaniard who's been to live in England could tell a similar tale though. Bureaucracy is fine for straightforward things, but hell when it deviates from the chosen path.
Try renewing your UK passport here in Spain and getting the photos (different requirements to the Spanish ones of course) signed etc when you've left the UK many years ago.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
I'm sure any Spaniard who's been to live in England could tell a similar tale though. Bureaucracy is fine for straightforward things, but hell when it deviates from the chosen path.
Odd that. A Spanish chap was telling me today how much difficulty he had in the UK opening a current account when he was working there for the year. I found myself doing to him what Spaniards do to me when I am venting my frustration at some Spanish process that seems remarkably laborious, unnecessary, old fashioned or just plain bloody minded.

I told him that couldn't possibly be true when it obviously was for him.

On the original point you need an NIE for just about everything. You're going to have to do it sometime. At one point, because of a job I had, I must have been through the NIE process 20 times. I've seen one taken from start to finish in fewer than 10 minutes, the usual process was a queue for about an hour, process the paperwork (as long as it was correct) in three or four minutes and then be asked/told to return usually the same day but sometimes two weeks later. Every office is different.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebronchris View Post
Odd that. A Spanish chap was telling me today how much difficulty he had in the UK opening a current account when he was working there for the year. I found myself doing to him what Spaniards do to me when I am venting my frustration at some Spanish process that seems remarkably laborious, unnecessary, old fashioned or just plain bloody minded.

I told him that couldn't possibly be true when it obviously was for him.
Yes, I remember it was very difficult to open an account in England when I first went there. I had to go to three different banks before one of them let me open a current account.

Another thing that was extremely difficult was to have contact lenses made. I lost one once and they told me that it would take six weeks to have new ones. And this was Manchester, not in a little village. In Spain they use to give it to me inmediately or at the most take two or three days.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Darko&Maria
Forero

I know NIE is important, and as I said I plan to get one for sure.

But the situation is somewhat complicated because I need to take a trip soon, and I would prefer to make it with my own car. Not sure right now how long the NIE will take, and it differs from city to city I guess, but it's much more convenient if it's allowed to buy the car without one. I simply don't know if I will have enough time to get one depending how long they make me wait.
I've got my empadronimiento if that means anything.

And don't even get me started on waiting times. I just waited 6 weeks for ADSL connection. And I'm not in a little village, like Pippa said.

I love it here, but sometimes when you need some type of service it can really get frustrating. But I guess I would love if I'm on the other side of the equation and take my time with everything.
Darko&Maria is offline   Reply With Quote