Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 31st October 2006, 03:49 AM   #1
cubix
Mega Forero

Default Daylight Saving Time

Does Spain have a daylight saving time. In the US, every April we jump forward an hour and in late October we fall back an hour, this is in order to utialize natural light and save energy. It just happened Sunday here in the US and am still adjusting to it.
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 05:27 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubix View Post
Does Spain have a daylight saving time. In the US, every April we jump forward an hour and in late October we fall back an hour, this is in order to utialize natural light and save energy. It just happened Sunday here in the US and am still adjusting to it.
Yes - we're now out of summer time. Lighter mornings but evening comes early. The thermometer has yet to realise though - it was almost 30C yesterday (N. Costa Blanca)
I think all of Europe follows the same schedule these days. Some years ago it happened on different dates - very confusing.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 08:36 AM   #3
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Yes - we're now out of summer time. Lighter mornings but evening comes early. The thermometer has yet to realise though - it was almost 30C yesterday (N. Costa Blanca)
I think all of Europe follows the same schedule these days. Some years ago it happened on different dates - very confusing.
Yes, all of Europe is the same now, although it always seems strange to me that Portugal is the only other country apart from UK that is Western European Time.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 08:48 AM   #4
timg
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Yes, all of Europe is the same now, although it always seems strange to me that Portugal is the only other country apart from UK that is Western European Time.
Canary Isles are also 1 hour behind the peninsula.
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 09:02 AM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

Has anyone figured out what Daylight Saving Time actually achieves?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Alan
El Listo ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
And Ireland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Daylight Savings Time stops the Scottish schoolkids from being knocked down. It was skipped, experimentally, for four years (1968-1972) and it meant that much of Scotland seemed much darker. The Scots found that it was too dark and Daylight Savings was reintroduced in 1972.

Maybe if Scotland was independent, England could choose to skip it again . . .
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Thank goodness for daylight saving time! In winter, I am decidedly more sluggish, I tend to eat and to sleep more and I'm glad when those happy sunny days of spring and summer are here again.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Quote:
I think it was so that farm workers (prior to the days of mechanisation) could have more hours of daylight in the summer months to work productively,

European time zones are very odd. For example Spain lies largely to the West of the UK but is one hour ahead of UK time when logically it should be one hour behind (as should Portugal). This disparity is always noticeable when you travel back & forth between UK and Spain. e.g. at 8:30 am mid October its still dark in Spain.
Most of France shares the same longitude as UK so could follow UK time quite happily.

Because of these disparities, there is always pressure from certain quarters for the UK to harmonise our times with Western Europe.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
And Ireland...

Daylight Savings Time stops the Scottish schoolkids from being knocked down. It was skipped, experimentally, for four years (1968-1972) and it meant that much of Scotland seemed much darker. The Scots found that it was too dark and Daylight Savings was reintroduced in 1972.
It was actually the other way round. For these four years we had permanent daylight saving & of course as Alan says it meant that in midwinter, it didn't get light until mid-morning in some northerly areas.

Even now, there are calls to try the experiment again. Why do they think the results would be any different? People who advocate this experiment never seem to consider that in midwinter, when there is 8 hours or less daylight, that some part of the working day is going to be dark.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
European time zones are very odd. For example Spain lies largely to the West of the UK but is one hour ahead of UK time when logically it should be one hour behind (as should Portugal). This disparity is always noticeable when you travel back & forth between UK and Spain. e.g. at 8:30 am mid October its still dark in Spain.
Most of France shares the same longitude as UK so could follow UK time quite happily.

Because of these disparities, there is always pressure from certain quarters for the UK to harmonise our times with Western Europe.
I think Spanish population wouldn't be very happy to change it. Note that the Spanish timetables are later for everything. We usually wake up later, eat later and go to bed later... so it makes sense to have our light later
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 11:57 AM   #11
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
The greenwich meridian (0 degrees) passes through Spain & Britain on their East sides so they are similarly placed for time zones. In summer though England & Wales have much longer hours of daylight, with Scotland in the north even more.So putting the clocks forward in spring means longer summer evenings. Up in the islands to the north of Scotland it is only dark for a couple of hours in mid summer.
In winter northern parts have much shorter daylight hours so the reverse applies. Leaving summer time means when the days are shorter in winter the mornings would be dark for longer and that is bad for road safety. You don't get any more daylight - just move it in time.
I never went much on the farm labour theory as they worked from dawn to dusk, never mind the clock, the animals called the shots. I thought it came in during the war to save energy as people did not need lights when they came home in the evening - and it was light at some ridiculous early hour in the morning anyway. Didn't they introduce double daylight saving for a while?
Presumably if Portugal moved to Spanish time they would have problems with dark mornings despite leaving summer time. You must have similar anomalies in wide countries like the USofA and Canada with an arbitrary division of the country into zones.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 05:33 PM   #12
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
1 hour of daylight?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 06:57 PM   #13
gary
Samuri Forero

It is being mooted to move us to the same time as Spain.... So winter would be GMT+1 and Summer GMT+2

BBC
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 03:13 AM   #14
guapo
Mega Forero

somebody (from the US) was telling me this week that there is a plan to start daylight saving in the US a week earlier and switch back a week later. So we would go back to a situation where the US and Europe don't switch at the same time - which just makes a bad situation worse. Anybody else hear this?
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 12:05 PM   #15
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
somebody (from the US) was telling me this week that there is a plan to start daylight saving in the US a week earlier and switch back a week later. So we would go back to a situation where the US and Europe don't switch at the same time - which just makes a bad situation worse. Anybody else hear this?
I have heard this, but can't confirm it.

Falling back an hour to Standard Time in the fall is terrible. Now sunset is at 4:45 PM for us.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Marina
NFS Admin

Already at 4:45PM
So in Christmas when does it get dark at 3 PM???
Old 1st November 2006, 03:11 PM   #17
Marina
NFS Admin

Ok, I've just check Indiana in the map and it is northern than I thought;-)
Old 1st November 2006, 04:15 PM   #18
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

By the way, is the clock here fast, was it not put back? I just posted at 16.15, and it's showing 18.15.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 08:22 PM   #19
cubix
Mega Forero

Okay a little more information on Daylight Savings Time, we studied it in my Environmental Class.

As you guys all should know the equator receives more sunlight year around, there days are equally split between 12 hours and 12 hours, as you get farther away from the equator the difference becomes larger, such in in the Northern Hemisphere, their is more light than dark in the summer. Daylight savings time was meant to help offset this. It is also a way to save energy, about 1% or so each day. It also reduces traffic accidents and such.

I think it's a good idea
Old 1st November 2006, 08:23 PM   #20
cubix
Mega Forero

Did some research here are the next 3 years for the US and the EU

US DST Starts DST Ends EU DST Starts DST Ends
2006 April 2 October 29 March 26 October 29 2007 March 11 November 4 March 25 October 28 2008 March 9 November 2 March 30 October 26