Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 30th August 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
TanyaJ
Novato

Default Vamonos/Vayamos

I am wondering if anyone can tell me which verb the word vamonos is connected to? I can't find this word in any of my Spanish books. I have found out via the internet that it is in the imperative tense. Under the verb IR my verb book lists vayamos, not vamanos. I have asked some native Spanish speakers, and haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer so far!
Muchas gracias :-)
TanyaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaJ View Post
I am wondering if anyone can tell me which verb the word vamonos is connected to? I can't find this word in any of my Spanish books. I have found out via the internet that it is in the imperative tense. Under the verb IR my verb book lists vayamos, not vamanos. I have asked some native Spanish speakers, and haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer so far!
Muchas gracias :-)
Colloquial corruption of 1st pers.plural Imperative of irse, thus vamos + nos but eliding the trailing "s" of vamos (as in andaluz dialect)
i.e. vámonos = vamo(s)nos= let's go!
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 01:10 PM   #3
tad
virtual idiot

Tanya, you need to watch more Dora the Explorer episodes -you'll soon get the hang of it.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 07:40 AM   #4
TanyaJ
Novato

Default Vamonos/Vayamos

Gracias Juanjo!
And yes, Tad, Dora the Explorer is where I initially heard vamonos!
TanyaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero

It is actually not a colloquial corruption. Vamos is also an accepted, grammatically correct imperative form of "ir," with vayamos typically being used in the negative (i.e. "vamos" vs. "no vayamos") (Check verbix.com's online conjugator). When attaching reflexive pronouns to nosotros imperative forms of any verb, the final "s" is always dropped, typically making what we affectionately called in my high school classes "monkey verbs" (because of the "monos" ending) .

Examples of others:
ˇSentémonos aquí! (Let's sit here!)
ˇDémonoslo! (Give it to us!)

So actually, vámonos is quite a regular, gramatical structure (except for the fact that "ir" is, in general, an irregular verb usually) in line with the reflexive imperative forms.
Perro Callejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaJ View Post
I am wondering if anyone can tell me which verb the word vamonos is connected to? I can't find this word in any of my Spanish books. I have found out via the internet that it is in the imperative tense. Under the verb IR my verb book lists vayamos, not vamanos.
Hi Tanya
I think the reason you couldn't find "vámonos" is because it's used not in the 1st person plural imperative for the verb "ir" (to go) - but for the verb: "irse" (to go away/to leave)...a bit confusing but ir is just highly irregular:

IMPERATIVO

ir: - (Nosotros): ˇVamos!/ˇNo vayamos!
irse: (Nosotros): ˇVámonos!/ˇNo nos vayamos!
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:52 PM   #7
kaos2me
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
It is actually not a colloquial corruption. Vamos is also an accepted, grammatically correct imperative form of "ir," with vayamos typically being used in the negative (i.e. "vamos" vs. "no vayamos") (Check verbix.com's online conjugator). When attaching reflexive pronouns to nosotros imperative forms of any verb, the final "s" is always dropped, typically making what we affectionately called in my high school classes "monkey verbs" (because of the "monos" ending) .

Examples of others:
ˇSentémonos aquí! (Let's sit here!)
ˇDémonoslo! (Give it to us!)

So actually, vámonos is quite a regular, gramatical structure (except for the fact that "ir" is, in general, an irregular verb usually) in line with the reflexive imperative forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
Hi Tanya
I think the reason you couldn't find "vámonos" is because it's used not in the 1st person plural imperative for the verb "ir" (to go) - but for the verb: "irse" (to go away/to leave)...a bit confusing but ir is just highly irregular:

IMPERATIVO

ir: - (Nosotros): ˇVamos!/ˇNo vayamos!
irse: (Nosotros): ˇVámonos!/ˇNo nos vayamos!

Thank you for both of these replies. They are very helpful to me also.
kaos2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Andy Woolley
Peńa Internet CD Tenerife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos2me View Post
Thank you for both of these replies. They are very helpful to me also.

I was always led to believe that "vamonos" had a more energetic feel to it than just "vamos" as in "let's get ourselves out of here" or "let's get on the move" not just "let's go" because it is an imperative of the reflexive verb. Anybody like to comment on that?
Andy Woolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 06:45 AM   #9
marie-chan
Forero

me and my friend argued about this over Dora the explorer... Dora always uses this word "vamonos", before we can't figure out if she's saying.. and so i told my friend that it might be vayamos or vamos(maybe we just didn't get her right) and now it really is vamonos.. hehehe
marie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote