Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 31st July 2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Traveler62
Forero

Default Spain's Northern Coast

http://www.spanishbankproperty.com/m...nces_spain.gif

Does anyone live in the northern coastal areas of Spain,Oviedo,Gijon,
Santander or Bilbao.

Do you know hat has happened to real estate values in those areas or could you recommend nice areas.

Thanks
Traveler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:30 PM   #2
PobrecitoHablador
Forero

Hi traveler!, I live near Santander and work there. I have also lived in both Gijón and Oviedo. Feel free to ask about those areas.
A quick view to www.idealista.com (one of the most reputable sources when it comes to compare different provinces and evolution of prices, in my opinion) seems to indicate that prices have been somewhat down, but no so much as I expected. Those are prices on the "vivienda usada" market, but experts says that it's linked to the "vivienda nueva" market.
I personally expect them to continue on the way down until they are valued at least 10%-15% less than now. But I'm no expert, it's something to do with too higth value and too low wages (a personal perception).
Also bear in mind that Vizcaya province (Bilbao is its capital) is one of the most expensive in Spain (more than Madrid and Barcelona). Cantabria (Santander is its capital) is also expensive but no so much and Asturias (Oviedo and Gijón) have more moderate prices. Those are average prices, so even in an expensive province you can find moderate prices.
You can have a look to their "informes" here: http://www.idealista.com/pagina/informacion (in Spanish).

Anyway, I could recommend you many nice areas (much better than talking about prices), specially if you are a little bit more specific about what are you looking for.
A turistic resort? an urban flat? a "lost in the mountains" house? a house in a not-so-turistic seaside area?
Do you want to be in those cities?, near them? or distance to the city does not matter?
How important are good connections?

One last thing, how much do you know about these areas? They are quite different from the rest of Spain (and between them) in many ways. I'd be glad to explain if you are not aware of those differences.
PobrecitoHablador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Traveler62
Forero

Thank you for your response. I worked and visited these areas back in the early 1970's and thought they were beautiful.

"lost in the mountains" or a house in a not-so-turistic seaside area.

Both my idea of perfect.

I will explore the links.

Again thank you.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I agree that idealista is a good source of info., but I expect that it's price stats are based on asking prices rather than selling prices, so they might be a bit inflated. Based on my experiences of trying to sell my flat this year, and a few other people I know also trying to sell, most offers are coming in at least 10% less than asking prices.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Traveler62
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
I agree that idealista is a good source of info., but I expect that it's price stats are based on asking prices rather than selling prices, so they might be a bit inflated. Based on my experiences of trying to sell my flat this year, and a few other people I know also trying to sell, most offers are coming in at least 10% less than asking prices.
Just wondering, are you leaving Spain or simply moving?

If you could pick any place in the country to sort of live the quiet life, retire and just live, where would it be?
Old 4th August 2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler62 View Post
Just wondering, are you leaving Spain or simply moving?

If you could pick any place in the country to sort of live the quiet life, retire and just live, where would it be?
We're moving - we have a one bed flat in Madrid and a 4 month old baby, so we need somewhere bigger. We'll stay in Madrid as that's where we work, and we're quite settled here.

For me a big factor on choosing where to live is whether I can chat with the locals and integrate socially. This can be quite difficult in rural Spain - certainly not because the people are unfriendly, but simply because they can have strong accents or dialects, or speak a different language, which can make communication a struggle.

So if I went to a region where standard Castillano isn't spoken then I might hang out in slightly more touristy areas to begin with, where English and Castellano are more likely to be spoken, while I picked up the local lingo.

Another thing to bear in mind is that many Spanish villages become freezing ghost towns in winter, as the locals head off to Madrid. And many tourist areas can be quite unappealing in winter as well. I wouldn't buy a property anywhere until I had spent at least one winter there.

Having said all that, if I had to choose one region of Spain to live the quiet life in it would be Girona. It's green enough, but doesn't rain the whole time, and it still has a relatively unspoilt coastline covered in pine forests (I like to be close to the sea, so that's an important factor). I'd have to learn Catalan, but I reckon I could pick it up within a couple of years.

I'd also consider the north coast, the Alpujarras (Granada), and the Costa de Luz (Cádiz) but it's difficult to say which I prefer. I haven't spent a great deal of time in any of them. I like to think that I'll travel around a bit when I retire, so maybe a secluded hideaway wouldn't be ideal for me. Another attraction with Girona is you can easily pop over to France if you fancy a change.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Grefra
Novato

Hello everyone.

I just found this link and wondered from people living in Spain on how accurate it is, should I be concerned about buying property in Spain right now?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...et#printModeAd
Grefra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grefra View Post
Hello everyone.

I just found this link and wondered from people living in Spain on how accurate it is, should I be concerned about buying property in Spain right now?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...et#printModeAd
That article coincides with a lot of other stuff I've been reading about the Spanish economy, and also some of my own experiences, so on that basis I'd say it's accurate. Whether you should be concerned with buying Spanish property really depends on what you want to buy, where you want to buy, and why you want to buy.
Old 21st September 2010, 01:37 PM   #9
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

For me there is Spanish property and then there is Spanish property.
I would never go for any new development.
Older houses, at least up here in Galicia, seem to be holding on to some value.
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote