Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 6th August 2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Job offer for aspiring videoblog chicas...

I got an interesting sounding job offer via facebook today (who says it's not useful!), not for me, but for any aspiring videoblogging chicas here on the forum, here it is if anyone is interested and happy to live in Madrid!

Quote:
MobuzzTV, Madrid-based online television channel is seeking female TV Presenters.

Prior experience not as important as the passion in working of an online television while having a for interest communicating and be part of a new media experience.

The position is full-time and based in our main office in Madrid, Spain.

Requirements:

* Female
* 24-30 y/o
* Perfect (native) english / french / german
* Writing skills
* European citizenship
* The ability and passion to communicate
* Knowledge on blogs, online social networks, online video
* Strong willingness to contribute to a small team

Salary: €1.500 Month

Please send CV, photos or audiovisual material to casting [at] mobuzz [dot] com

Hours: Full-Time
This job is salaried.
Listed at Spain.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 02:23 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I got an interesting sounding job offer via facebook today (who says it's not useful!), not for me, but for any aspiring videoblogging chicas here on the forum, here it is if anyone is interested and happy to live in Madrid!
With that salary? They wish!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Ben
Hero Forero

Actually, that's a lot more than most 25 year old chicas in Madrid earn these days! Beats a lot of first time English teaching jobs!
Old 6th August 2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Beckett
Mega Forero

Sad but true, that salary is considered excellent in Spain, particularly for someone still in their twenties. My question...why chicas only? Exactly what type of "buzz" is Mobuzz generating? Obviously Spain doesn't have any employment laws prohibiting discrimination based on gender and age.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 04:42 PM   #5
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
Obviously Spain doesn't have any employment laws prohibiting discrimination based on gender and age.
Did you see that photo of Pepino in a skirt? He'd be a shoe-in.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 05:43 PM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
With that salary? They wish!
Beckett is right, this salary is not bad at all.

Sadly, age and gender discrimination are still a fact, not only in Spain.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 05:57 PM   #7
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

£250 a week, for being perfect, native level in english / french / german? Most wouldn't get out of bed for that! Their discrimination laws are obviously a lot different to ours.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 06:01 PM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
£250 a week, for being perfect, native level in english / french / german? Most wouldn't get out of bed for that! Their discrimination laws are obviously a lot different to ours.
Was that out of bed?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
In Holland, we have got discrimination laws too but many employers violate them with total impunity.
Old 6th August 2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
I don't think it is discrimination pay-wise - salaries are lower here and that is that. Secondly, if they want a woman presenter for a show whose concept is to have a woman presenter (like shows all over the world), then obviously they are only going to advertise for a woman!!
Old 6th August 2007, 08:40 PM   #11
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I don't think it is discrimination pay-wise - salaries are lower here and that is that. Secondly, if they want a woman presenter for a show whose concept is to have a woman presenter (like shows all over the world), then obviously they are only going to advertise for a woman!!
As I said, "their discrimination laws are obviously a lot different to ours."
It says nothing to indicate that that it's concept is only to have female presenters, and as such here I don't think it would wash. I think you will find stipulating age is hard to get away with here. There are exceptions, but I don't think this would be one them. I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable in Spain though.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Ben
Hero Forero

Sorry, I see what you mean! I took too much for granted... obviously been here too long!
Old 6th August 2007, 10:38 PM   #13
5m2012
Forero

Quote:
I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable in Spain though.
Yes, there is a far more intelligent and realistic approach to these things in Spain.
5m2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 11:26 PM   #14
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
I heard about the Moira Stuart case a while ago. Apparently she was sacked because of her age:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../view23age.xml

Most people with ageist views are probably young, and unwilling to put themselves in the position of someone in his or her mid-fifties who is desperately looking for a job. They are likely to change their opinions later in life - especially when they find themselves unemployable after a layoff.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:34 PM   #15
Pepino
Soy La Leche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Did you see that photo of Pepino in a skirt? He'd be a shoe-in.
My CV is in. The job's in the bag. Watch out Janet Street-Porter.... "yoof TV" here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
I heard about the Moira Stuart case a while ago. Apparently she was sacked because of her age
I thought Moira Stuart was a great newsreader and was appalled when she got pushed aside, especially by the likes of "Sparkles" Kaplinsky and her impossibly shiny teeth.
http://www.hicelebs.com/gallery/nata...sky/index.html
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 11:39 PM   #16
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5m2012 View Post
Yes, there is a far more intelligent and realistic approach to these things in Spain.
Why, of course, you're exactly right. Let's hope you feel the same way...once you cross the magic threshold of age 35 in Spain and you're looking for work. 35, an arbitrary number, seems to be the cut-off point, always specified in Spanish job adverts. What happens to people who are over 40? Is there an old folk's home where they go to wait and die in Spain? Does nobody over the age of 35 have to look for a job in Spain?

Whereas in the U.S., 60 years old is the new 40, thanks to the egotistical Baby Boomers, in Spain, life (at least in the job market) ends at 35. Funny mentality coming from a country which has a rapidly growing elderly population, second in percentage only to Japan. Gotta stop typing now. My arthritis is acting up.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:43 PM   #17
5m2012
Forero

Natasha is sexier than Moira and 20 years younger - a no brainer as a commercial decision if that is indeed what happened.
5m2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 11:45 PM   #18
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
I thought Moira Stuart was a great newsreader
Me too! I still can't believe the BBC did that. In my opinion, age discrimination is similar to racism in some ways because you can't change your age, either. And some of the comments on the article really defy belief! Unfortunately this is an international trend.

Quote:
and was appalled when she got pushed aside, especially by the likes of "Sparkles" Kaplinsky and her impossibly shiny teeth.
http://www.hicelebs.com/gallery/nata...sky/index.html
Perhaps the toothpaste industry is sponsoring her?
Old 6th August 2007, 11:45 PM   #19
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
As I said, "their discrimination laws are obviously a lot different to ours."
It says nothing to indicate that that it's concept is only to have female presenters, and as such here I don't think it would wash. I think you will find stipulating age is hard to get away with here. There are exceptions, but I don't think this would be one them. I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable in Spain though.
Yep. In the U.S. asking someone pointblank their age and to advertise "women applicants only" would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. In the U.S, you can't ask someone their exact age nor their marital status, two things that are freely asked and freely told in the Spanish job market. At least the employment discrimination laws in the U.S. have teeth. Cruuunnnch!
Old 6th August 2007, 11:46 PM   #20
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5m2012 View Post
Natasha is sexier than Moira and 20 years younger - a no brainer as a commercial decision if that is indeed what happened.
I'm interested in the news, not in sexy women, thank you.