Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 16th August 2009, 04:45 PM   #1
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Location: El estado bello de California, que tiene una gran historia hispánica
Default Now THIS is how to learn Spanish!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/

This is simply one the coolest things on the web, if you're trying to learn Spanish. It's a multi-part series from the BBC presented in the form of a mystery, and has won an award this year for its interactive capabilites. You can order food in a restaurant and "talk" to the waiter (who then actually brings you what you ordered off the menu, haha!), put Euros in the taxi driver's hand, select which model car you want to rent, etc. Each interactive episode is about 15 minutes long, and as well, you can print out the transcript of each lesson. One of the greatest things about it is that in the course of this adventure you travel all over Spain, and the scenery and photography is great ... simply an incredible resource. Check it out!

Last edited by La Vaquera; 16th August 2009 at 05:03 PM.
La Vaquera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
WesleyHH
Super Forero

Hola.
A mí también me ha gustado "Mi vida loca". Confirmo. El juego muy divertido y adictivo, combinado con el aprendizaje de la lengua. Muy interactivo. Yo quería tan pronto como sea posible conocer el final la historia y por eso hacía cuatro o cinco los episodios al día. .

Last edited by WesleyHH; 16th August 2009 at 08:14 PM.
WesleyHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 09:49 PM   #3
kenpeace
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vaquera View Post

This is simply one the coolest things on the web, if you're trying to learn Spanish. It's a multi-part series from the BBC presented in the form of a mystery, and has won an award this year for its interactive capabilites. You can order food in a restaurant and "talk" to the waiter (who then actually brings you what you ordered off the menu, haha!), put Euros in the taxi driver's hand, select which model car you want to rent, etc. Each interactive episode is about 15 minutes long, and as well, you can print out the transcript of each lesson. One of the greatest things about it is that in the course of this adventure you travel all over Spain, and the scenery and photography is great ... simply an incredible resource. Check it out!
Gotta love the BBC. I'll check that out - thanks.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Ramses
Spanish fanatic

A while ago the BBC contacted several Spanish/Spain bloggers to plug this site. I denied, mainly because it covers just the basic stuff (if your goal is fluency and you have time I wouldn't even use this) and concentrates on the tourist-type of Spanish. I mean, the format itself is cool, but the same content is covered around the web in other places as well.

If you ask me, this resource is only for the tourist. Every other person that really wants to connect with Spaniards better watch some serious amount of Spanish television. It's more fun too.
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 03:05 PM   #5
hardymem
Novato

Quote:

This is awesome and so much fun, thanks
hardymem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Melocoton
Forero

By the time I found Mi Vida Loca it was already a bit basic for me, but I thought it was excellent - the central character (a manic journalist) is being pursued by some shady property dealers, and you (the viewer) have to travel with her and interact with Spanish speakers. The story is gripping enough to make you want to know what happens next - I watched the whole thing in about a day.
I actually wrote to the BBC and asked them to make another series for more advanced learners, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Highly recommended for complete beginners, especially good for hearing real Spanish spoken in context.
Melocoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Cide Hamete Benengeli VII
Super Forero

Default Very engaging - I give it Three Thumbs Up!

Quote:

I’m about halfway through and so far, I love it. I haven’t spent much time in Spain, so it was great getting to see some of it and hearing different accents. Also the actress that plays Merche is excellent. I haven’t checked to see if they give her name anyplace on the website, but I’m looking forward to seeing more of her in the future. Thank you very much for sharing this with all of us! If anyone knows about movies or TV shows that she's been in, please let me know.

Cide Hamete Benengeli VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:53 PM   #8
nohablo
Forero

Quote:

This is simply one the coolest things on the web, if you're trying to learn Spanish.
Thanks for letting us know about this. Yes, it's pretty cool, but I wish there were a version for people who are not beginners. I've only watched about five episodes thus far. It's fun to see Madrid, but I find myself impatient with the pace and with all the English. I know I'm not being fair. I shouldn't criticize it for being something it's not intending to be. I just wish that some of the flair and imagination that went into creating this also were put to use to create a more advanced version.
nohablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 12:13 AM   #9
kanmuri
Forero

True the language is really basic and is covered on other websites, but I think that the format is really interesting. I like the interaction. I certainly recommend it. Even if it's easy, it's fun to watch
kanmuri is offline   Reply With Quote