Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 15th November 2008, 12:28 PM   #1
lost
Forero

Default A week in Madrid

Just spent a week in Madrid and absolutely loved the place. Tried to visit as much as I could and was amazed at how clean the place was and how busy it is especialy the bars compared to Benidorm where I´ve lived for the last 2 and a half years.
Now looking forward to moving there at the end of this month.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Hi, good to hear you had a good time in Madrid. Can I ask what made you decide to spend some time in Madrid? Don't get me wrong, I love the place, but all I hear from expats who've lived on the Costas is negative things about Spain, the people, the economy, the capital etc. What persuaded you to go and see for yourself ?

Edit: Just seen your other post. Sorry to hear you've been let down. Wish you lots of luck regarding business in Madrid. It has to be one of the best places in western Europe, not just Spain, to start work/business. However the current recession won't make things easy, so, again, lots of luck, and don't be afraid to ask for advice on this forum.

Last edited by MrMark; 15th November 2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Read the other post by the OP
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 01:12 PM   #3
lost
Forero

I honestly cannot negativly comment about Spain when I compare it to the UK. My partner has been offered work and we´ve secured an appartment for only 400€ a month which was an amazing offer. Everything seems so much more proffesional in Madrid.
Was really stunned to see how busy Chueca is but at the same time stunned when I had to pay to enter a bar.
Old 15th November 2008, 08:07 PM   #4
irishluke
Forero

I was thinking of going to Madrid soon for a few days only. What can you really recommend me to see, not too expensive of course...is it an expensive place for food or do they have the Menu Del Día's as well?
irishluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 01:52 PM   #5
lost
Forero

I´d recommend seeing as much as you want to and then you have an excuse to go again and look at some more. Madrid isn´t expensive to eat or drink, just try to avoid tourist looking places.
Old 17th November 2008, 03:15 PM   #6
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
I´d recommend seeing as much as you want to and then you have an excuse to go again and look at some more. Madrid isn´t expensive to eat or drink, just try to avoid tourist looking places.
Not at all. On a first visit it is the touristy places you want to see. Even I can remember a magical evening in the Plaza Mayor on my first visit, a place I hardly go to now! But the truth is the sparkle soon wears off and the real Madrid, (as opposed to Real Madrid) is down those little streets and alleys. And of course, the price of beer (and food) is inversely proportional to the distance from Sol.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote