Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 18th September 2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Default Valencia / Alicante’s Rainy Season

As anyone who lives in the regions of Valencia and Alicante will testify, concentrated periods of heavy rainfall are commonplace during this time of the year. Many of which have had a catastrophic impact on both life and property. Indeed, the so-called Great Valencia Flood of 1957 resulted in the task of rerouting the Turia river away from the centre of the city.

It very much looks like the regional rainy season is once again upon us if this linked news report to the online site of the English speaking, Costa Blanca News is anything to go by …

News Report Link
Sagitario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 07:52 PM   #2
stella
Forero Senior

I´ve only lived in the area for just over two weeks but can already testify. Rain like that in the UK would be much more widely covered, I think.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:37 PM   #3
reetp
Forero

On the Valencia flood thread, interestingly, our village sits upstream on the Turia, and apparently issued the first warning of the impending flood, thereby saving many lives. I believe the original telephone box used to put out the alarm is on display in the local museum !

Popped back to the UK for a few days last week (we live just outside Valencia but have a small business we run in the UK) and when I came back I found half of our camino washed away !

My wife is complaining already, despite there being no rain for months !

Anyway, 6 weeks and it'll be over, there or thereabouts :-)

Just celebrated 2 years here. Still loving it !!!
reetp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Early November we'll be in Valencia (city) for a week then a couple of days in Murcia.
Is this a less rainy time - & hopefully still moderately warm?

Anyone have recommendations of good value restaurants/bars/cafes there?
Not tourist-traps though!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:33 PM   #5
greytop
Hero Forero

Hi Jules. If you want to track the Valencia weather try eltiempo.es for a week ahead.
I've been following the storms on their satellite view. Lightning shown in real time.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Is this a less rainy time - & hopefully still moderately warm?
No guarantees in November … don’t get caught out late evening which can get quite chilly … when darkness falls temperatures can likewise fall quickly.

Quote:
Anyone have recommendations of good value restaurants/bars/cafes there?
Anywhere in and around Valencia’s Mercado Central … arguably, the best and finest example of a Spanish indoor fresh food market I've ever seen.
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
reetp
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitario View Post
No guarantees in November … don’t get caught out late evening which can get quite chilly … when darkness falls temperatures can likewise fall quickly.
Oh yes. Will have my chiminea on by then. You can get some lovely days though.

Quote:
Anywhere in and around Valencia’s Mercado Central … arguably, the best and finest example of a Spanish indoor fresh food market I've ever seen.
Agreed there.

Plaz del la Reina in front of the Cathedral is quite touristic - beware the human 'statues' & their pickpocket friends

Eating & drinking - unfortunately I don't spend enough time in the city to know that much, but FWIW....

The Barrio (del Carmen) to the (vaguely) North of the cathedral is well known for lots of small bars & restaurants, some good, some not quite so. You have to take a stroll. Did go to a fantastic Italian wine bar with food there a while back - expensive but very nice. Can't remember where on earth it was now !

Also went to a good one just off the Paseo del la Alemeda

El Sumiller del Jamon and it´s in Plaza Polo de Bernabé, 4 Good Argentinean steaks I believe.

There's another round there someplace but I can't find the details :-(

'Chinatown' is just to the west of the Main station.

Anyway, the best fun is to wander round & try something.

Hope you enjoy your trip - I LOVE the place.
Old 26th September 2009, 07:41 PM   #8
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

So maybe some of these statements are true then?
http://www.world-weather-travellers-...ain.html#worst
I wish we had some rain here in Galicia. Believe it or not we have had no significant rain fall (inland) for several months now. I do believe the north coast had some rain late August time.
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

ribeirasacra ... don’t get me started about Galicia and rain. Though, while I’ve reluctantly decided I could never live there for winter climate reasons, I absolutely adore Santiago de Compostela and what it has come to stand for in Spanish history and culture.

However, a fully opened and raised “paragua” can be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands when one is navigating through the narrow old town streets of the city on a rainy day. While men seem to be more considerate with their umbrella etiquette, women, particularly of the middle-to-old age variety, can be totally oblivious to the eye poking damage pointed and protruding umbrella struts can do in such confined spaces.

One might as well be the invisible man as some elderly Señora / Señoras approach with umbrellas aloft … and it’s no use remonstrating with them, just get out the way before they have a chance to blind an unsuspecting pedestrian.

The carrying of paraguas is that much of a Compostela custom for near six months of the year; there is even a shop of long standing on the Rüa do Vilar (located in arcade of the inserted image) under the shadow of the Cathedral that sells nothing but umbrellas and associated rain wear.

Old 27th September 2009, 02:24 AM   #10
lucy.annabel
Forero

I live in Alicante, and we've had a lot of rain. It's actually been pretty clear for the past few days, but the 2 weeks before were dark and either threatened rain, drizzled off-and-on, or absolutely downpoured for hours.
I got flooded on to my side of the street one night, hahah. The round-about down the street was nearly shin-deep with rain water.
It has hailed pea-sized ice pellets twice recently, too, and we lost power for a while one late afternoon.

Anyone know how long the rainy seasons tends to last here?
lucy.annabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 08:25 AM   #11
greytop
Hero Forero

They are forecasting the arrival of the Valencian "gota fría" which brings huge downpours along the coastal strip especially. A mass of hot air moving up from Africa meets colder air from the North and Bingo! Up to 4" an hour is likely in some places. It certainly lays the summer dust to rest!!
The ice pellets are especially bad for the grape harvest, but I think that has been earlier than usual this year (global warming gets the blame of course).
Meanwhile the oranges are ripening, the rice has been harvested (500,000 kilos of Pego bomba rice headed for paellas) and Sterling sinks slowly into oblivion. Have a nice autumn Sat picture of Valencia down to Murcia this morning

Attached Images
File Type: jpg weather 090927 0900.jpg (9.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by greytop; 27th September 2009 at 09:14 AM.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 10:30 AM   #12
reetp
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
They are forecasting the arrival of the Valencian "gota fría" which brings huge downpours along the coastal strip especially. A mass of hot air moving up from Africa meets colder air from the North and Bingo! Up to 4" an hour is likely in some places. It certainly lays the summer dust to rest!!
That'll be now then :-)

Actually, I think it started about two or three weeks ago - much earlier than normal. My wife is already nearly suicidal !

I just say to myself that we have something like 300 days of sunshine every year, so that's only 50 odd days of cloud / rain. Every day it rains is one day less...... and where would I rather be. Here or in the UK under the 'lid of grey' ?????
Old 28th September 2009, 11:26 AM   #13
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

Sagitario you post made me laugh quite a bit.
6 months of rain that is an awful lot. But where did you get those facts? Have you lived in SdC? (Which is not the only city in Galicia BTW).
At the moment your favourite spot in Spain is have poor weather, poor than Galicia and will do for some days to come. http://www.eltiempo.es/

I only asked if what was stated on the link I gave was true. And I also stated what the weather has been like for inland Galicia, which is not Santiago. It is a shame you did not understand that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eltempo1.jpg (38.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg eltempo2.jpg (46.7 KB, 2 views)
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 10:53 PM   #14
lucy.annabel
Forero

I'm not sure if the campus is already slightly flooded, or if we're supposed to get an insane amount of rain tomorrow (or both?), but I go to the University of Alicante and school is cancelled tomorrow. Yikes!
lucy.annabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 04:46 AM   #15
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribeirasacra
But where did you get those facts? Have you lived in SdC? (Which is not the only city in Galicia BTW).

ribeirasacra - seeing as you asked, off and on between 1993 and 1998 I spent quite a bit of leisure time in the city of Santiago de Compostela. My doing so had a lot to do with a certain member of the opposite sex who at the time I was very attached to. While the lady in question originated from La Coruña, she held an administration position at the Real Universidad which necessitated her living in the city.

Now, my UK place of abode is only a 30 or so minute bus ride away from London's Heathrow Airport. And, back in the mid 90s Iberia used to fly a daily shuttle service (a mere 90 minutes flying time) between Heathrow and Compostela’s Lavacolla Airport. A route that by the way, these days Ryanair now fly out of London Stansted to Lavacolla. So, near every chance either of us would get, Carmen (as was her name) would be with me in the Thames Valley and North London or I would be with her in Compostela and Galicia … a cultural exchange in every sense of the phrase but alas, one that only had a limited time span.

Quote:
Sagitario you post made me laugh quite a bit … 6 months of rain that is an awful lot.

While I'm glad I made you laugh, I didn’t say it was expected to rain for all of six months of the year … what I was attempting to convey was that inhabitants of Compostela were never quite sure when the almighty was in a manner of speaking, going to turn the heavenly hose pipe on them … hence the be preparedness of always having an umbrella to hand … for they’ve learned over the years it's better to be safe than sorry. I can recall one excursion made from Compostela to Vigo when it was raining that heavily when we arrived in Vigo. We were forced to hang round in the bus station for a hour or so before deciding to catch the bus back to Compostela.

While I’ve long forgotten how to say the following expression in Gallego, the language of Galicia, the polite English translation goes as follows …

“Every year God gives us 365 days, for 300 of them he smiles on us [Los Gallegos] but for the other 65 he “urinates” over us”

Quote:
At the moment your favourite spot in Spain is have poor weather, poor than Galicia and will do for some days to come.

That’s the cross the inhabitants of the Alicante and Valencia regions have to shoulder from time to time. However, a noticeable lack of rain carrying, low pressure fronts moving across the Atlantic means that the Bay of Biscay is uncommonly storm-free for this time of the year. Hence the rain relief you are currently experiencing in Galicia. Indeed as a result, weather reports covering the southern part of England indicate something of a late Indian summer taking place during September. Tomorrow’s midday temperature for the London area is forecasted to be nudging 20 Centigrade.

I’m well aware that Santiago de Compostela isn’t the only city of note that Galicia can boast of. But, the likes of Vigo, Lugo, La Coruña, Pontevedra and Ourense really hold no charms for me. It’s not until I cross the border into the Principality of Asturias and Oviedo that I find another city to my liking.

The underlying reason I have come to adore Compostela is because when I think about it, the city has no earthly geographic logic to be where it is. It’s not a port, it’s not at a natural crossroads and it’s not on a traditional road or river trade route. For near a millennium the city has survived and thrived on what is essentially, a contradiction in terms. That of a religious phenomenon, no matter how fanciful and unlikely it may seem verses that of education and education of the questioning medical sciences at that.

First came the holy hermit’s vision of the burial place of Saint James. Then came organized religion with its flair for public relations. Then came the pilgrims (the tourists of their day) on foot and by horesback seeking promised time off in purgatory for good behavior. Closely followed by the enterprising who saw the pilgrims as a business opportunity. Then finally came church supervised places of education funded by such gold and silver rich aristocracy looking to insure a place in heaven.

For what the medieval Universities of Oxford and Cambridge are to English learning … then likewise to Spain are the Universities of Salamanca and Santiago de Compostela.
Old 5th October 2009, 10:34 AM   #16
MCP
Super Forero

The several days of rain that we had in the area seem to be over now and we've gone back to pretty warm weather: 27º yesterday in the capital.

Speaking of the rains, you'd think that the reservoirs would have had a good topping-up. But no: most of them are quite a way inland and the rains didn't reach that far, on the whole.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 07:31 PM   #17
Ricardodaforce
Forero

My God September was awful!

The road I live on flooded a number of times and we even had news crews here.

Got some amazing videos on my Facebook.
Ricardodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 01:41 PM   #18
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Phew!

Having returned a few days ago from my week in Valencia: despite my fears, we had glorious weather and not a drop of rain.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 06:35 PM   #19
Ricardodaforce
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Phew!

Having returned a few days ago from my week in Valencia: despite my fears, we had glorious weather and not a drop of rain.
I don't think we've had rain for at least a month.
Ricardodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote