Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > N.I.S. Intermediate podcast comments

Notices

Old 9th January 2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Notes in Spanish Intermediate 14 - Tapas

Listen here and pick up the worksheet here.

¿Te parece una buena idea acompañar las bebidas alcohólicas con algo de comida?

Last edited by Ben; 1st June 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 05:17 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Listen here and pick up the worksheet here.

¿Te parece una buena idea acompañar las bebidas alcohólicas con algo de comida?
Me parece muy logico y muy rico
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Marina
NFS Admin

Antes de grabar el podcast busqué el nombre de los dos reyes que mencionamos en el podcast en mi wiki personal, y, no fui capaz de encontrar la información. Os la pego aquí por si queréis saber los detalles (sorry está en Inglés)

There are a couple of legends about the origin of the tapas:

The first one says that Spanish King Alfonso XIII was in offical visit to Cadiz when he decided to stop to rest for a while in the “Ventorrillo del Chato” (establishment that apparently still exists). Just when he asked the waiter for a glass of Jerez a blow of wind came into the bar, so in order to avoid beach sand gettnig into the king’s glass the waiter covered it with a slice of ham. The King curiusly asked the waiter why he put the ham on top of the glass and he appologise and told the King that he wanted to prevent the sand to get into the wine. The King liked the idea and asked for another wine but with the same “tapa” (tapa means lid or cover) and then the rest of the court asked for the same wine with the tapa.

There is another story that tells that during King Alfonso X kingdom he ordered that no wine would be served in tabernas without a little bit of free food to avoid people getting too drunk. So it was common to serve it in a little plate that was placed on the top of the glass.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Dave_K
Super Forero

In my (limited) experience, the tapas get better, and more generous, the further south you go in Spain. Like you mention in the podcast, in Madrid it's often just a few olives (and sometimes nothing at all).

At the opposite extreme, my friend in Almeria took me to a local bar when visiting him. At this place (called "Calzada 2", IIRC) the drink-tapas relation is reversed. That is, you order a tapa and it comes with a drink. I asked if you can just order a drink without the tapas and he said no, you have to order a tapa. I said, well, what if you don't want any food? He said in that case you're supposed gift your tapas selection to somebody else in the bar and keep the drink for yourself. And the tapas were quite substantial (e.g., a bocadillo de tortilla on a 4-5-inch roll, a small and thin entrecote, 4-5 croquetas) -- 2 or 3 of them would make a decent-sized meal. This is not to say that you get something for nothing, however.....each tapas-drink combination was 3-5 euros (though still quite cheap relative to Madrid). So, in the end, a lunch with 3 small (8-oz) beers would end up costing ~$12-15.

I noticed that the tapas were more generous in Cordoba as well.

What are tapas like further north than Madrid (I've only made it as far as Guadalajara so far)?
Dave_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

The quality gets much better the further north you go. The tapas in Leon for example are very good quality. But nothing compares to the pinxos of the Basques. True works of culinary art! Pic below is of a tapas bar in San Sebastian.

Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 12:34 PM   #6
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
In my (limited) experience, the tapas get better, and more generous, the further south you go in Spain. Like you mention in the podcast, in Madrid it's often just a few olives (and sometimes nothing at all).
Yesterday evening I was taken by two very lovely Spanish Ladies to a tapas bar not too far from Callao in Madrid. The food just kept coming, totally free. Waiters walked around with small sandwiches and seemed offended if you didn't take at least one, and the plates of cheesey potatoes and tostadas with tuna were huge. Unfortunately I was not sensible enough by the end of the evening(!) to note the name of the place.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Marina
NFS Admin

¡Qué pena! Maybe your friends can e-mail you the name of the place!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Dave_K
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The quality gets much better the further north you go. The tapas in Leon for example are very good quality. But nothing compares to the pinxos of the Basques. True works of culinary art! Pic below is of a tapas bar in San Sebastian.

That does look good! It looks sort of like one of those conveyor belt sushi bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Yesterday evening I was taken by two very lovely Spanish Ladies to a tapas bar not too far from Callao in Madrid. The food just kept coming, totally free. Waiters walked around with small sandwiches and seemed offended if you didn't take at least one, and the plates of cheesey potatoes and tostadas with tuna were huge. Unfortunately I was not sensible enough by the end of the evening(!) to note the name of the place.
That does sound good too. My wife, proud madrilena that she is , just chided me for dissing Madrid's tapas and insists that I mention a place in Madrid we go to that is close to the Plaza de Chamberi called "Richelieu" that has quite good tapas.
Dave_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Maryse
Forero

Default Tapas en Madrid

¡Hola!

Estoy de Canadá y me parecen muy ricas las tapas, pero también me parece que ir de tapas corresponde a ir en un bar con un grupo de amigos para beber y comer. ¿Es verdad? ¿Es posible ir de tapas sola? Lo pregunto porque en mayo, seré a Madrid sola por un día y no sé si es mejor ir de tapas en un bar o esperar un poco más tarde para cenar en un restaurante. Y también, no quiero tener que tomar tres o más cervezas para tratar diferentes tapas (con el jetlag, temo estar piripi muy rápidamente). Y también, me pregunto si se pueden comer tapas a mediodía. Disculpe mi ignorancia ;-)

Aquí en Montreal, es muy común ir en terrazas en el verano entre de las 5 y 7, más o menos (se llaman [email protected]) para tomar unas cervezas y comer nachos con amigos. Aquí el verano es muy corto y las terrazas son un poco como un símbolo o sinónimo del verano.

¿Algunas sugerencias donde podría ir a comer en Madrid? ¿Y sugerencias de cosas que tengo que probar como el jamón ibérico?

Muchas gracias para las explicaciones.
Maryse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 06:51 PM   #10
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Sounds like GME_09 fodder to me!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote