Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 23rd November 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default Thanksgiving Day USA

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all foreros americanos!

My family is weagerly waiting for the 26.75 lb turkey to be done. I threw it in the oven at 9 AM so it should be ready by 3 PM.

My wife has made the stuffing , dressings and mashed potatoes, candied yams and gravy.

My firends are bringing over the pumpkin pie.

My mom is bringing over the flan (I'm sure the pilgrims would find her flan agreeable).

We just finished watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, so life is OK! Now comes the football games.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 23rd November 2006 at 05:11 PM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Brian
Errant in Valencia

26 pound turkey?!?!? Wow.

it's just 4 of us, so just a 12-pounder. It's almost done. I can already taste the cornbread sage dressing, the cranberry sauce, the mashed potatoes, rolls, and the gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.

And go Cowboys!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Ben
Hero Forero

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you on the other side of the charco!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 07:24 PM   #4
rob
maño

Its strange to have read your post, because I've been giving lessons on Thanksgiving describing all those things to the kids, although I have to admit, I learnt as much about Thanksgiving as they did since I really had no idea what it involved, other than a Turkey and Settlers, which was partly imparted to me by an episode of the Simpsons :s
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Diana
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all foreros americanos!

My family is weagerly waiting for the 26.75 lb turkey to be done. I threw it in the oven at 9 AM so it should be ready by 3 PM.

My wife has made the stuffing , dressings and mashed potatoes, candied yams and gravy.

My firends are bringing over the pumpkin pie.

My mom is bringing over the flan (I'm sure the pilgrims would find her flan agreeable).

We just finished watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, so life is OK! Now comes the football games.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Enjoy your delicious meal! I am trying not to be jealous. We have celebrated Thanksgiving over here (Germany) several times (on a Sunday) so that our children would learn about the American holiday, but it was never quite the same to me.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 08:38 PM   #6
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Thank you all. I'll save you some turkey and fixins'.
Old 23rd November 2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Cuisine from America!

A few pics from our humble feast, which I cooked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table2.jpg (24.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg table.jpg (25.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg turkeyleg.jpg (22.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 24th November 2006, 01:30 AM   #8
que
Super Forero

Ok,
Sorry for being ignorant, but what is thanks giving exactly? Now i could go and look it up in google, but im sure ill get a better answer here. It sounds like the food you have for thanks giving is the same as we have for xmas?

I assume Christmas is more important than thanks giving to you folk? Although i hear about thanks giving all the time in programs/sitcoms etc.
So if you all get together like one big happy family for thanks giving, you do the same again for Christmas?

Would it be like us having two Christmases?
que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
Ok,
Sorry for being ignorant, but what is thanks giving exactly? Now i could go and look it up in google, but im sure ill get a better answer here. It sounds like the food you have for thanks giving is the same as we have for xmas?

I assume Christmas is more important than thanks giving to you folk? Although i hear about thanks giving all the time in programs/sitcoms etc.
So if you all get together like one big happy family for thanks giving, you do the same again for Christmas?

Would it be like us having two Christmases?
Hello, Que.

More or less, it's a day that is set aside to count one's blessings in life. In the States, it commemorates a meal enjoyed at the end of the harvest by the Pilgrims with native Americans in 1619 or 1620.

The traditional meal for Thanksgiving is roast turkey, although many people now smoke or deep-fry them. The turkey is accompanied by dressing/stuffing, whose ingredients vary greatly, depending upon the part of the country that you live in. As ValenciaSon noted, there's also cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, yams/sweet potatoes, and definitely, the traditional dessert is pumpkin pie.

Often, the Christmas meal is similar, but since it's so close to Thanksgiving, we will prepare a ham instead.

I would say that although Thanksgiving has a similar-ish theme as Christmas, it is not observed as a religious holiday so much. Also, presents are not exchanged at Thanksgiving.

The day after Thanksgiving is also the official start of the Christmas shopping season, and the shameless department stores exploit it to the fullest by opening at 5 AM. They entice people into their stores with incredible discounts on certain items.

If you want an in-depth look at Thanksgiving, see the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving
Old 24th November 2006, 11:19 AM   #10
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The day after Thanksgiving is also the official start of the Christmas shopping season, and the shameless department stores exploit it to the fullest by opening at 5 AM. They entice people into their stores with incredible discounts on certain items.
Probably the US is lucky to have Thanksgiving as a natural barrier to the start of the Christmas shopping frenzy. In the UK it seems to be earlier every year and certainly has been well under way for the last few weeks.
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 12:11 PM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Thanksgiving Day seems to be the practical kick-off to the holiday season. It is a close second to Christmas for most in terms of holiday importance (secular perspective) as evidenced by the fact that days leading up to Thanksgiving Day represents the time with the worse travel of any mode (car, train or plane) because lots of folks are trying to get to their distant families.

And the day after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day as Brian alluded to. It's known as "Black Friday" due to the pandemonium one encounters with aggressive shoppers going after that item on sale.

It always falls on the fourth Thursday of November, is always the time that the New Bond movie is released and it gives most americans a puente since friday is taken as a holiday, thus extending the weekend into a 4 day weekend. The kids don't object much either since they are off from school for 4 days (as my 9 year-old agrees with his cute, wide grin).
Old 24th November 2006, 12:51 PM   #12
thismortalcoil
Forero Senior

Thanksgiving is an Extremely important holiday for my family, and for most American families. The entire family drives several hours to meet at my grandmother's house and we basically spend 2-3 days together, eating and enjoying each other's company. It also is when we begin planning our Christmas get-together. On Thanksgiving day, we "draw names" from a hat to choose the person for whom we will buy Christmas presents.

As I am temporarily living in Spain, this is the first Thanksgiving of my life that I haven't been with my family. It is a lot harder than I expected...I keep thinking about how much I take these yearly rituals for granted and I can't help but salivate at the thought of all the yummy foods my grandmother painstakingly prepares each year, with so much love. ::sigh::
But this afternoon, my American roommates and I are trying to cook a semi-traditional Thanksgiving dinner (we couldn't find many ingredients, though) for our Spanish host family. And of course, I will have many wonderful memories of Spain to share with my family at next year's Thanksgiving celebration!
thismortalcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 02:16 PM   #13
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil View Post
As I am temporarily living in Spain, this is the first Thanksgiving of my life that I haven't been with my family. It is a lot harder than I expected...I keep thinking about how much I take these yearly rituals for granted and I can't help but salivate at the thought of all the yummy foods my grandmother painstakingly prepares each year, with so much love. ::sigh::
But this afternoon, my American roommates and I are trying to cook a semi-traditional Thanksgiving dinner (we couldn't find many ingredients, though) for our Spanish host family. And of course, I will have many wonderful memories of Spain to share with my family at next year's Thanksgiving celebration!
Hi This,

I appreciate you missing the family. I remember missing mine when I served overseas. Here's to you and other americans who couldn't be with their loved ones for Thanksgiving. I hope you can make it next year to your family.
Old 24th November 2006, 02:28 PM   #14
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil View Post

What a great idea to help get through the holiday! I'm certain that your host family will enjoy your efforts.

I made my grandmother's dressing recipe yesterday- it made me homesick for all those incredible feasts that she put on when I was much younger. Although she's left us, a part of her lives on through her recipes that have been passed down.
Old 24th November 2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
26 pound turkey?!?!? Wow.

it's just 4 of us, so just a 12-pounder. It's almost done. I can already taste the cornbread sage dressing, the cranberry sauce, the mashed potatoes, rolls, and the gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.

And go Cowboys!
Ahhh... now I too late to wish you guys a happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all enjoyed your meal. And don't forget to thank the Native Americans for teaching you about all these goodies like corn, turkeys, pumpkins and cranberries! Hmmm, especially the turkey breast!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Marina
NFS Admin

I'm also late to wishing you all Happy Thanksgiving, it was very moving to read Blairs message I hope you had a good time cooking with your mates and I'm sure that you will value next Thanksgiving double than normal.

Anyway, how was the shopping???
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 05:32 AM   #17
cubix
Mega Forero

Little late here, been busy with the family. We went to the country club this year for thanksgiving, i was a little dissappointed, but mom/grandma didn't want to cook this year(well it's a longer story)

I didn't go shopping today, wasn't worth the hassle the "deals" are few and far between, and you have to go quite early(I am not a morning person) then spent all afternoon on the road, so that I can go watch the biggest rivalry in college football(or atleast in my opinion GO Dawgs!)
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 11:37 AM   #18
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Anyway, how was the shopping???
We went out to do the early-morning 5:30 AM shopping spree about 4 years ago, and was sorry I did it. It displayed the absolute worst in humanity- people shoving, arguing over the last of an item- all in the name of having something inexpensive to give someone else on Christmas.

So, yesterday, we hung out at home, ate leftovers, and went to the gym in the afternoon. It was deserted.
Old 25th November 2006, 11:43 AM   #19
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubix View Post
I can go watch the biggest rivalry in college football(or atleast in my opinion GO Dawgs!)
Georgia really needs this game to go to the Peachy, right?

BTW, I was here a couple of weeks ago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goalposts.jpg (36.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 11:27 PM   #20
cubix
Mega Forero

Hah Tearing down the goalposts, it's only happened once at Sanford Stadium(2000 when UGA beat Tennesse) We could only dream about that, I was sitting in the lower student section in the west endzone, they had two layers of security, the field access was blocked by the event staff, then even more event staff formed a nearly arm linked line on the field level, with about 40 GBI and local police next to them. I think they really thought the students were going to take down the goal posts, since 3/4th of the event staff and police were right in front of the students....

Oh the good times, and we won 15-12! To hell with Georgia Tech!!
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote