Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 6th September 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Geeks, which new iPod would you buy?

All these podcasts to my/our name and I've never owned an iPod. OK, Marina has an iPod mini which we share when necessary, but I finally decided to buy one for myself and we delighted to hear recently that Sept 5th was the date for a new line-up. But now I am totally lost and have no idea which of the new ones to go for!

That iPod touch (the iPhone without the phone) is so pretty, but am I ever going to use most of its features? There isn't all that much free wifi around the places I would take this... and they are soooo expensive... I did want a new Nano, but now everyone says they are ugly and maybe they are right?

It's a hard life, such trying decisions... which would you buy?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
All these podcasts to my/our name and I've never owned an iPod. OK, Marina has an iPod mini which we share when necessary, but I finally decided to buy one for myself and we delighted to hear recently that Sept 5th was the date for a new line-up. But now I am totally lost and have no idea which of the new ones to go for!

That iPod touch (the iPhone without the phone) is so pretty, but am I ever going to use most of its features? There isn't all that much free wifi around the places I would take this... and they are soooo expensive... I did want a new Nano, but now everyone says they are ugly and maybe they are right?

Well the geek in me would jump on the iPod touch. That's before I had the time to consider the price tag. It would also come before considering the need for all the functionality the iPod Touch provides. Maybe its price will come down a bit around the holidays.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Palmerito
El Perro

The iPod which I have had for about a year now is the last generation - a 30G with video. I love it, but the picture is a bit small for me to watch anything but a short clip. I have downloaded hour-long tv shows and it is tiring to watch such a small screen for that length of time. I have also downloaded a 2-hour movie (which really eats up the battery time). I LOVE the amount of music I can download. Almost every cd I own is now on the iPod and there is room for many more. The music quality is excellent. And I attach it to my car radio to play NIS podcasts on my way to and from work. The ease of use is great. I will wait at least a year till the price comes down to buy the latest version, and I will definitely buy it for the increased screen size.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Brian
Errant in Valencia

I like the thought of an iPod Nano with video, but remember, only 2 gigs won´t hold that much video. I started out with a 2 gig Nano that I had to continually erase stuff from to download the latest NFS podcast because it got full. I loved its compact design, and it was perfect for jogging. Then I got an iPod video 30 Gig, and love the video features, but it´s not so comfortable for exercise.

If you want a video iPod, Ben, just get something that has plenty of storage, or you´ll continually be deleting stuff just to get the basics on it.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 03:48 PM   #5
eldeano
He's the most tip top

I'm very happy with my 30GB iPod - it holds all my music. I got some nifty speakers for it and I've just changed my car and it has an iPod connection which feeds through the stereo.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 03:54 PM   #6
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey big spender View Post
I'm very happy with my 30GB iPod - it holds all my music. I got some nifty speakers for it and I've just changed my car and it has an iPod connection which feeds through the stereo.
Hmmm, I don't like the fact you have to change your car so that your ipod fits, what makes of car are compatable?
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you want a video iPod, Ben, just get something that has plenty of storage, or you´ll continually be deleting stuff just to get the basics on it.
I think that is the problem, I don't know how much video I want to watch on it! If I did want it for video I would get the 16 gb iPod Touch with the big screen... but how much video do I watch at the moment? Zero really. And where would I watch it? Hmmm, the Nano makes sense, the other one just looks so cool!!
Old 6th September 2007, 03:57 PM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson View Post
what makes of car are compatable?

Only those with an iPod connection.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:06 PM   #9
richardksa
Jedi Forero

I was given a 30GB Creative as a present, so that is what I have always used. In what way are the various Ipods different? I don't think I would use it for video, but as I understand it is possible to display the NIS transcripts would that make it a better cjhoice than the Creative?
I am tempted to think that with the Ipod one is just buying a name. In what way are they superior?
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 06:55 PM   #10
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:

There will, I am pretty sure be a revision of the iPod range for Christmas but if there isnt you can bet the flat that there will be at the veginning of January - basically I would wait until they release the next generatin it will no doubt be an iPhone without the phone - ie full size touch screen BUT 80gb memory and way better battery life - it wouldnt surprise me if they had a dv in socket so that you could record video straight to the device plus, they will I am sure do away with the mini hard drive an replace it with flash based memory so you will have a massuve increase in battery life

you read it here first....

However the above will not be released until everyone in the uk that wants one has an iPhone - thats Apple - you umm and aah, then buy and the week after they upgrade everything.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Ben
Hero Forero

Gary... that was yesterday!!! Hence my confusion!
Old 6th September 2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Dave_K
Super Forero

NY Times article (yesterday) related to iPhone price cut, new iPods, etc.: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/te...fb2&ei=5087%0A

I have the 30GB iPod. The video is nice to have for long plane/train rides (though, like Palmerito says, involves some eye-straining, and, like Brian says, is a bit clunky to run with). I've had it almost a year and have only used 13GB so far, though I have deleted stuff that I'm unlikey to ever listen to/watch again (no need to keep a digital copy of a previously-watched TV show with me at all times).

FWIW, last Christmas the 30GB iPod was selling in Spain for over $100 more than it cost here ($250 vs. 279 Euros). I don't know about prices in the UK.
Dave_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 07:13 PM   #13
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Gary... that was yesterday!!! Hence my confusion!
WOW - missed that one (had some real work to do) - not like me at all - did I get it all right??
Old 6th September 2007, 07:22 PM   #14
gary
Samuri Forero

16Gig is a bit disappointing!!
Old 6th September 2007, 08:47 PM   #15
la vieja de la manga
Forero Senior

Well as an old granny, sometimes called joven i love my zipy mp3 - cost €33 from Media Markt. I can put loadsa NIS podcasts, music & spanish audio books and quality is excellent - even my deaf old ears can hear!
la vieja de la manga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 12:57 AM   #16
DocMolly
Molita

Oh oh, this is bad! Now that you have shown me the new line-up I'm going to be thinking about an excuse to get a new iPod. i have a first generation 15 GB iPod, the last generation Nano, iPod Video and shuffle. And I'm not proud of it. This is clearly a sickness.

But anyway, of all of them, I used my iPod Video the most, because I can put EVERYTHING on it, all my audio medical curriculum stuff, all my podcasts, all my music, plus there are some really entertaining Video Casts out there (like NIS TV), that I love to watch over my lunch hour.

After seeing my brother's iPhone, I would be very tempted by the iTouch...so slick, like nothing i've ever seen before. Everything at the touch of a finger. I'm going to wait until medical programs are made for it, and then it will be a justifiable purchase...but until then...

Bottom line.. my recommendation is the iPod Video (or classic...as they are now calling it). because of the memory. Then you can just grab it on your way out...knowing you have all your audio with you....
DocMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 01:02 AM   #17
DocMolly
Molita

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vieja de la manga View Post
Well as an old granny, sometimes called joven i love my zipy mp3 - cost €33 from Media Markt. I can put loadsa NIS podcasts, music & spanish audio books and quality is excellent - even my deaf old ears can hear!
My advice is to not even look at the apple ads and remain content with what you got. Don't catch apple mania!
DocMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 02:16 AM   #18
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
I was given a 30GB Creative as a present, so that is what I have always used. In what way are the various Ipods different? I don't think I would use it for video, but as I understand it is possible to display the NIS transcripts would that make it a better cjhoice than the Creative?
I am tempted to think that with the Ipod one is just buying a name. In what way are they superior?
Or you could check this out:
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 08:19 AM   #19
greytop
Hero Forero

Nice one VS
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 02:06 PM   #20
skizzoriky
Forero

Según mi parecer Apple ha hecho una política de marketing muy buena,sin aportar a los iPods una real mejora técnica! Yo tengo un iPod 30 GB y sinceramente pensaba que el futuro de Apple MP3 Player fuese algo con un disco duro, que es mejor de una memoria flash. Personalmente estoy de acuerdo con ti Ben en relación a la cantidad de vídeo que te pone a veer en un display muy pequeño como el del iPod touch. A mi me chifla mucho veer a los Podcasts Video, pero son "peli"muy cortas que puede veer las también en un display mas pequeño. Todo esto para decir que se oy debiera comprar un iPod yo creo que elijo el nuevo iPod nano!
Espero de haber estado claro, y de haber estado de ayuda!
skizzoriky is offline   Reply With Quote