Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 2nd June 2008, 03:39 PM   #41
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri View Post

Don`t bother lookin for advice on the net, its all bol***ks, if you are in any doubt, speak to a Spanish legal begal or Traffico.
We are offering advice on the net Zuri so you're probably right!
If you don't get an answer you like ask another official in my experience

I did manage to register my UK licence with the Trafico - it took about 4 months to do the trip Alicante to Madrid & back.
From personal experience: When I passed the age I needed a UK medical to renew my UK licence I changed it to a Spanish one. Not difficult to do.( At that time my UK licence was using my daughters address, and the UK authorities offered me a medical with a registered medico in the UK, so you can get round the residence bit.)
Main problem I found is the slightly different groups and requirements. I eventually let my light goods vehicle section lapse as I don't need it and it had to be renewed at different dates to the car licence.
At each renewal of the Spanish licence you need a new medical but it's not too difficult to pass & most towns have facilities to get it done (ours is every Friday night at a clinic in town) Failing that there is a row of offices doing medicals near the Alicante Trafico office and I'm sure similar in other large towns.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:16 PM   #42
zuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
We are offering advice on the net Zuri so you're probably right!
My advice would be to ignore it then.

Quote:
If you don't get an answer you like ask another official in my experience
Gotta luv Spani 4 confulsion (u lik mi knew spell corrextor)

There have been some stories goin around about guardia Traffico still issuing fines to Spanish residents on UK licenses when they have had the medical and got it stamped.

So my best advice which should always be ignored, is change to a Spanish license ASAP, it`ll save a whole heap of grief if stopped.
Old 2nd June 2008, 05:04 PM   #43
pladecalvo
Novato

Quote:
Aparantly a UK license becomes illegal if you move without changing the address on the license, so anybody now a resident in Spain, has to have a license with there address on it and becuae you cannot put a Spanish address on a UK license, you need a Spanish one.
That's what I thought too and it certainly makes sense to me zuri. I just can't see a UK licence being legal if it shows a UK address on it that you no longer live at. I'd also question the legality of keeping your UK licence whilst living in Spain, by putting someone else's address on it....such as a family member still living in the UK. Surely this is not legal?
pladecalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 05:58 PM   #44
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
From what I was told, but i could be wrong.
I don't think many of us ever get legal requirements right, so we're all probably wrong, that's why I posted what appears to be an article written recently by a Spanish legal eagle!

Quote:
A UK license expires after 6 months from the date the person becomes a Spanish resident.

It is then a requirement to have a replacement Spanish license.
Rules/laws are changing so quickly, that even judges can't keep up with them. The rules may have changed since you last discovered that snippet?

Quote:
If you commit an violation within those six months, the license will be invalidated and replaced with a Spanish one, too which you then take the medical.

This came about in 2008 legislation because many EU license differ in renew times to the 10 yrs Spanish one, for example my UK license didn`t expire until 2042, but as was pointed out by my legal guy, I have to have a medical and the UK license can no longer be stamped.
You could be absolutely correct, the only way to know for sure, is to check daily.

Do you have any up to date, official DGT links?

Quote:
Aparantly a UK license becomes illegal if you move without changing the address on the license, so anybody now a resident in Spain, has to have a license with there address on it and becuae you cannot put a Spanish address on a UK license, you need a Spanish one.

Don`t bother lookin for advice on the net, its all bol***ks
, if you are in any doubt, speak to a Spanish legal begal or Traffico.
Can you supply official links to your claims about these new rules?

I heard only recently that any EU license is adequate until it expires, although it doesn't bother me.
I've had a Spanish license for 18 years, but I do like to keep up to date where possible, just in case I'm asked for help by a newcomer.

A good starter link para ellos quien habla el idioma:
http://www.dgt.es/portal/
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:35 PM   #45
zuri

If you go on the British Embassy website they advise you change your license for a Spanish one.

It also advises you contact your local Jefatura De Traffico for advice.

In 2012 i think it is the world will either end or the EU will introduce the EU license that will be exactly the same license for all EU countries.

Until then we need to rely on the minefield that is EU legislation guidelines and Spanish laws.

The problem with EU directive 91/439/EEC which states under Mutual Recognition cannot enforce an EU citizen to change there license.

So many use this clause as a reason for not changing there license.

There is a stumbling block because it lack Harmonization.

Directive 91/439/EEC contains an exemption clause that enables all member states to apply their own provisions on validity and intervals between medicals to holders of EU license from other states.

Sub Directive 96/47/EC was brought in which Annex 1a Section 8 states that all EU licenses after 1990 must contain the holders perminant place of residence.

As far as I`ve looked EU license Directive`s haven`t changed since the intro of the photo ID style.

The DGT site isn`t very clear, they simply state you have to have a legal license, have medicals tests and contain your perminant place of residence.

I changed mine to a Spanish one, its easy and saves having to try to communicate to a Traffico all the legal stuff, they don`t appriciate a Guiri quoting Spanish laws too them.

Last edited by zuri; 2nd June 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:58 PM   #46
pladecalvo
Novato

Quote:

Sub Directive 96/47/EC was brought in which Annex 1a Section 8 states that all EU licenses after 1990 must contain the holders perminant place of residence.
Makes perfect sense to me zuri. If a UK licence contains an invalid address, the licence is not valid in the UK. If it's not valid in the UK.....it's not valid in Spain either.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:24 PM   #47
zuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Makes perfect sense to me zuri. If a UK licence contains an invalid address, the licence is not valid in the UK. If it's not valid in the UK.....it's not valid in Spain either.
I know, but some people still seem to prefer ignoring the issue and try to avoid the change.

Its so simply.

If you live at 100 Madrid rd Madrid, your license should state that.

And since the DVLA don`t send out license to foreign countries or insert a non UK address, then the license is simply invalid.

I think many get confused with the old paper license that was merely stamped by Traffico, but those days are long gone.

Since the new points system which deductes points any Spanish official needs to be able to read your license and understand the points, especially for your car insurance, which also creates a problem, I have heard of a Spanish Insurance company refuse Insurance on a UK license to a Spanish resident.

In Spain though its always better to air on the side of caution and just simply change the license, take the bloody medical.

Last edited by zuri; 2nd June 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:16 AM   #48
pladecalvo
Novato

Yes I agree entirely. I changed to a Spanish licence years ago. I guess some people just don't want to cut their ties with 'the old country'.
Old 2nd July 2008, 02:07 AM   #49
leolo
Novato

Hi,

Could you please tell me how difficult it is the practical driving test in the UK compared to the Spanish one?

Also, is it possible for a Spanish citizen to take that test in the UK?

The test here in Spain is hideously difficult and most examiners do everything they can to make you fail the test.

The only way to pass it is to be really really lucky and have an examiner who is benevolent and takes pity on you.

I'm not exaggerating, the situation it's really sad currently, and it's deteriorating fast. (according to the official figures from the DGT, the percentage of people passing the practical test is going down each year. In many cities is already well below 45 per cent)

The Government has announced plans to try to imitate the method currently used by other successful countries (like the UK or Sweden, for example) and wants to give aspirants the option to practice with their cars accompanied by a relative, therefore avoiding the dreaded "Autoescuelas". But driving instructors are fighting the plan fiercely.

Ripping off Spanish citizens with absurdly difficult tests and extremely expensive classes is a lucrative business, and they don't want to let it go that easily.

PS: In case you're doubting, yes, I'm Spanish (so please excuse my bad English grammar). And yes, I'm currently trying to obtain the much-longed for-license. I've failed the practical test three times already and I'm starting to get frustated...

Cheers.
leolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 08:18 AM   #50
greytop
Hero Forero

Some info here that may help. You might need to hold the licence for a period before the Spanish would change it for a Spanish one, I'm not sure.
See also:
" Moving to another country
If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. It will not be a requirement to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad."
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 09:30 AM   #51
hellothere
Super Forero

If the driving licence has been issued in the EU, it is valid in Spain. Full stop.
All is explained in the DGT (Dirección General de Tráfico) website: http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...0en%20Espa%F1a.

If the driving licence has been issued outside of the EU, it has to be exchanged. To do so, one has to go to their local Jefatura de Tráfico.
Have a look here: http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...canje_permisos

If your driving licence has an expiry date (mine does not), and reached its term, then you will have to renew it.
Ask your consulate or the DGT.

I have never exchanged my driving licence, and it bears an address that has not been valid in many many years.
And it does not matter: this is not an ID card!

The Spanish police force have never so much as raised an eyebrow with my Spanish licence plate and foreign (European) driver's licence.
And when they have had to fine me for speeding, they have tracked me without any problem at all.
If they need to find you, they will.
hellothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 06:34 PM   #52
asturiasjohn
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
If the driving licence has been issued in the EU, it is valid in Spain. Full stop.
In my experience I have to agree with 'hellothere'.

I got all wound up about this issue last 18 months ago. There is lot of conflict advise on forums.

I got a spanish friend to ring the department of transport and we also saw the local police. Apparently there is an EU Directive which states if you obtain a driving licence in one member state and then move to another member state the licence is valid and you cannot be forced to change until it expires.

We also checked with the insurance company for our spanish registered car (Linea Directa) and they said the same.

I still feel uncomfortable with my old address on the card but like 'hellothere' says, its not an ID card. I always carry my NIE card as well. I've been stopped 5 or 6 times in the past 2 years and nobody has complained.

I guess the only issue would be if you went back the UK and got caught speeding. But then wouldn't the fine go to the address the car was registered to not the license holder?

Saludos,

John
asturiasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote