Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 26th November 2008, 11:22 PM   #21
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch007 View Post
The two MS products I hate the most!

Actually that's a lie, Word 2007 can rot in hell too.
Excel 2007 is the worst.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 11:35 PM   #22
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Excel 2007 is the worst.
I know - let's take our product that people have become comfortable with using... then move everything around so nobody knows how to find anything any more. Genius.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 04:07 AM   #23
Joel
Forero

I'm a computer programmer thinking of writing a language learning aid program for independent learners like ourselves, and I'd really value your input!

What would you look for in a program like this?

(started a thread specific to this here)
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 01:25 PM   #24
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Excel 2007 is the worst.
Can you give some examples of why? I know that conditional formatting has changed a lot, but most things seem to work the same way as before.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 04:18 PM   #25
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
... but most things seem to work the same way as before.
Exactly, so why change it!
But powerpoint is the worst. 2003 was almost intuitive, 2007 not so much .... by a long way.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 06:33 PM   #26
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Can you give some examples of why? I know that conditional formatting has changed a lot, but most things seem to work the same way as before.
Macro placement is a journey into an over-embellished interface as well as finding classic functionality, users had otherwise become quite (very) familiar with over the years with previous versions.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:32 PM   #27
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Thanks for that VS. If I understand you correctly, the way to use macros has changed a lot in Excel. I'll have to be aware of that if I start to learn this side of Excel (I'm quite well up on other stuff).
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 05:30 PM   #28
nohablo
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
I intentionally didn't include a link to further information about the Leitner system in my previous post. But since Gary has set a precedent, and in case anyone is interested, here it is.
I know I'm coming to this quite late, but I wanted to thank you for posting your discussion of flash cards and Leitner. Though I've used flash cards for ages, I somehow never systematized it the way Leitner suggests. I think I will now! And I'll do it with my flashcards, not with an electronic version, for two reasons. One is that I already have LOTS of flashcards, and I'd hate to have to type them into an electronic version. The other is that I think I already spend far too much time in front of my computer. One thing I love about flash cards is that I can use them (or take them) anywhere.
nohablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 10:43 AM   #29
jubilee
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post

If you start searching for electronic flashcard based learning software, you just seem to get inundated with potential leads to follow. A while back I was looking for something very flexible and tried a few different downloadable programs. I discarded lots of them for not matching my particular criteria, and VTrain - although shareware rather than freeware (usually my #1 priority ) - seemed to fit the bill.

It seemed to work very well for my daughter, who has dyslexia, when we created a couple of card decks for her to revise for some tests. But perhaps there was a novelty aspect in that (don't think she has used it since - but then again I shouldn't imagine revision ever figures highly in your typical teenage girl's list of priorities). You can compose the card using rich text and you can also include images and sound files, which, I think, can make it very effective.

I also started using it myself for Spanish vocabulary. Sadly though I never seem to be able to find the time to use it regularly. More discipline required. I guess...

Am about to look into this as my pile of filled notebooks gets bigger and the vocab that falls out of my head works at a faster rate.. My question is, what is the difference between shareware and freeware??
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 10:51 AM   #30
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
Am about to look into this as my pile of filled notebooks gets bigger and the vocab that falls out of my head works at a faster rate.. My question is, what is the difference between shareware and freeware??

Freeware has no obligation to pay anything at all

Shareware is supplied free initially with a request that if you like the product and use it you pay something. The amount may be stated it may be discretionary. Some shareware will not expire but lots of it does so be aware that if you put in loads of data and invest time in entering stuff the product may 'time out' if you have not contributed and you will need to acquire a licence key by either paying or resorting to piracy...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:17 PM   #31
jubilee
Mega Forero

Have just tried a trial version of Vtrain (shareware) and a version of Memory Lifter (freeware). Started with Vtrain and it seemed good, but memory lifter seems even better (plus being free!). When you make your flashcards, it is really easy to add audio at the same time, then you can also review your cards in a slide show mode, if you don't know the answers well enough yet to do a proper review. Early days, have only started in the last couple of hours (!) but I like the look of Memory Lifter. Also found memory lifter "more intuitive" to use then Vtrain (speaking as someone who is pretty allergic to reading instructions...).
http://www.memorylifter.com
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote