Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 9th June 2009, 12:40 PM   #1
aaron0724
Novato

Default Need help for some sentences.

Hello, I have some questions when learning Spanish. Pls help me.

1. Es una gorra azul oscura de lana.
In this sentence, why an "oscura" is used instead of "oscuro"? I think it is aimed to describe "azul", which is a male noun.
2. Quería quedar contigo una hora.
Why is it a "quería" instead of "querría"?
aaron0724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron0724 View Post

In this sentence, why an "oscura" is used instead of "oscuro"? I think it is aimed to describe "azul", which is a male noun.

"Azul oscura" (dark blue) is the compound adjective describing the feminine "gorra".

Different tenses: "quería" is Imperfect tense (imperfecto de indicativo); "querría" is Conditional (potencial simple).

Last edited by Juanjo; 9th June 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 01:03 PM   #3
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
"Quería" is past, "Querría" is conditional. So your sentence means "I wanted to stay with you ...".
Otherwise your sentence would mean "I would want to stay with you ..."
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 02:59 AM   #4
aaron0724
Novato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo View Post

"Azul oscura" (dark blue) is the compound adjective describing the feminine "gorra".
Thanks for your kind reply! I wonder here the "azul" is an adj. or a noun? If it is a noun, the "oscura" should be changed to "oscuro", right?

Different tenses: "quería" is Imperfect tense (imperfecto de indicativo); "querría" is Conditional (potencial simple).

I know the normal usage of them. But is the "quería" able to mean "would like to" instead of "wanted to"?
Old 10th June 2009, 03:00 AM   #5
aaron0724
Novato

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
"Quería" is past, "Querría" is conditional. So your sentence means "I wanted to stay with you ...".
Otherwise your sentence would mean "I would want to stay with you ..."
With "quería", is the sentence able to mean "I would want to stay with you ..." too?
Old 10th June 2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Thanks for your kind reply! I wonder here the "azul" is an adj. or a noun? If it is a noun, the "oscura" should be changed to "oscuro", right?

Azul is an adjective here - it is being used to describe a noun (in this case it describes the colour of the cap):

Es una gorra azul oscura de lana - it's a dark blue woolen cap

I believe that when used as a noun, azul is masculine (el azul) so I think yes you would use oscuro, Ej. ¿Cual es tú color favorito? - Pues, el azul oscuro.

With "quería", is the sentence able to mean "I would want to stay with you ..." too?

No - if you use "quería" then you can only be talking in the imperfect preterit tense. If you want to use the conditional (e.g. "I want would want...") then you have to roll your "r" and say "querría".

BUT with the verb querer it so happens that people often use the imperfect preterit tense in situations when they could also use the conditional tense.

E.g. In a shop you could say "I would like a loaf of bread" (querría una barra de pan) or you could say "I was after a loaf of bread" (quería una barra de pan)

Last edited by Legazpi; 10th June 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Urgellenk
Super Forero

The imperfect can be used in Spanish as a polite formula to make requests (it is called imperfecto de cortesía). In this context, it has the same meaning as the potential tense and even the subjunctive imperfect.

It may sound confusing, but you may enter into a store and request a baguette by asking:

- quería una barra de pan
- querría una barra de pan
- quisiera una barra de pan

The three sentences are polite and mean exactly the same. By using a past tense, the speaker puts a distance between himself and the listener, resulting thus in a more polite tone than a direct request in the present tense ("quiero quedar contigo"), as it is shown in a less stringent or pressing manner.

Regards
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Urgellenk
Super Forero

Quote:

Personally, I would say that this sentence is not correct as compound adjectives for colors are invariable unless they are attached in the same word.

I.e. you can say "una gorra azul-verdosa", but you should say "una gorra azul oscuro" because what you are realing meaning is "una gorra (de color) azul oscuro".

In this very sentence "una gorra azul oscura" does not sound so terrible to me, but if you try with other examples, you can check that the agreement with gender and number of the noun simply does not work.

e.g.

"una gorra azul marina" is not good Spanish, the correct esxpression would be "una gorra azul marino".

Also, "unos pantalones azul oscuros" does not sound good either. It would be "unos pantalones azul oscuro".
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote