Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 30th July 2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Forero

Default tengo una pregunta

hola,

tengo una pregunta. ¿como se dice "knock that off the shelf" o "don't knock that off the shelf"? creo que "shelf" tiene que ser escaparate. pero la questión es de "knock". ¿golpear, derrumbar? ¿qué es?

también, ''run into''. ¿darse contra? ¿topar? por alguna razón algunos ejemplos se me escapan.

muy bién, gracias,

joel
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
hola,

tengo una pregunta. ¿como se dice "knock that off the shelf" o "don't knock that off the shelf"? creo que "shelf" tiene que ser escaparate. pero la questión es de "knock". ¿golpear, derrumbar? ¿qué es?
En generál "knock" es como "dar algo un golpe ligero", pero en este caso significa "tirar":

to knock that off the shelf = tirar eso de la balda

("shelf" puede significar escaparate o repisa también - es una parabla bastante flexible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
también, ''run into''. ¿darse contra? ¿topar? por alguna razón algunos ejemplos se me escapan.

muy bién, gracias,

joel
"to run into someone" normalmente significa "encontrarse con alguien por casualidad" - creo que en español se dice "toparse con alguien" pero no estoy seguro.

Sin embargo se usan "to knock" y "to run into" en muchos dichos/expresiones/phrasal verbs - por desgracia hay que aprenderles uno por uno.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
switch007
Mega Forero

Creo que se diria "no tires eso de la estante"

Run into? Como "he ran into the wall" or "he ran into her at the market"? El primero será troperzarse no? Y la segunda sería econtrarse
switch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 12:33 AM   #4
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

wordreference.com gives you lots of examples:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/tran...nword=run+into

chocar contra
toparse con

or bump into doors etc

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1155204
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 12:33 AM   #5
switch007
Mega Forero

Estante, balda, repisa, anaquel, .. ¿se necesitan más palabras por decir 'shelf'?!?
switch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 10:48 AM   #6
delgado
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch007 View Post
Estante, balda, repisa, anaquel, .. ¿se necesitan más palabras por decir 'shelf'?!?
Sure, why not? jiji

"Estantería" along with "balda" are the most common ways that I hear them called. I think that there is a slight difference between their usage, normally the shelves in your house would be refered to as "baldas"
and the shelves in shops, supermarket etc.. would be called "estanterías".

Regarding the OP "no tires eso de la balda-la estantería" is how I would say it.
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Urgellenk
Super Forero

I might be wrong, but in my perception baldas are just the small boards that hang on the wall or make part of a cupboard, while estanterías are complete pieces of furniture that stand on the floor (and contain baldas).

Balda would be synonimous with estante, repisa or anaquel; estantería would be similar to a cupboard.
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Forero

hi. thanks for all the replies.

tirar de la balda. that's it. that sounds right to me. i wouldn't have thought of tirar in this case, nor decided on balda.

the trusty dictionary is always there. but some things don't seem to want to dial in.

it's like "get". there are several options.

in this case "run into" was almost tripping. i found tropezarse, too. i came up with "darme el píe contra algo".

and of course the question of shelves: i finally got "cajón" for "drawer". i wouldn't have gone with balda. i will now though. and i agree that estantería sounds something like a cabinet, or an installation. and there's anaqueles. i should look into it.

tirar works for me.

glad to know that it's not just me and that there really are several options for some of these things.

thanks again for the replies.

joel
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote