Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 4th February 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
stella
Forero Senior

Default Another 'Reading Suggestions' Request

Does anyone have any further suggestions of 'almost first' Spanish novels. The thing is, I have to prepare a book project as part of my course which involves reading a Spanish book. It has to be Spanish literature, not Latin American... which rules out Isabel Allende, whose books I'm dabbling into now. It can be translated, though, so Harry Potter is allowed, although definitely not my cup of tea. It also has to be more than 200 pages, which I guess rules out El Alquimista and Cronica de Una Muerte Anuncia.

I'm thinking about La Sombra del Viento (Carlos Ruiz Zafon) but I have it in English and it's quite long (over 500 pages IIRC). I'm also considering El Nino Con El Pijama De Rayas (John Boyne) or maybe Me LLamo Rojo (Orhan Pamuk) which is pretty similar to what I read in English. My problem is that I have to inform my lecturer of my choice by Monday, which means I have no chance of looking over a few different books to see if I could cope with the language beforehand.

Just as an aside, other than Amazon or maybe eBay, where do you buy your Spanish books from?
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
Does anyone have any further suggestions of 'almost first' Spanish novels. The thing is, I have to prepare a book project as part of my course which involves reading a Spanish book. It has to be Spanish literature, not Latin American... which rules out Isabel Allende, whose books I'm dabbling into now. It can be translated, though, so Harry Potter is allowed, although definitely not my cup of tea. It also has to be more than 200 pages, which I guess rules out El Alquimista and Cronica de Una Muerte Anuncia.

I'm thinking about La Sombra del Viento (Carlos Ruiz Zafon) but I have it in English and it's quite long (over 500 pages IIRC). I'm also considering El Nino Con El Pijama De Rayas (John Boyne) or maybe Me LLamo Rojo (Orhan Pamuk) which is pretty similar to what I read in English. My problem is that I have to inform my lecturer of my choice by Monday, which means I have no chance of looking over a few different books to see if I could cope with the language beforehand.

"La tesis de Nancy" by Ramon J. Sender (282 pages) easy and fun to read about the trials of a naive female US student in Andalucia. [Study notes available on Internet!]

"Los mares del Sur" by Manuel Vásquez Montalban (220 pages) a detective story set in Barcelona.

Just as an aside, other than Amazon or maybe eBay, where do you buy your Spanish books from?
Grant & Cutler (London) see website
casadelibro.com in Spai (but delivery costs are steep!)
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
stella
Forero Senior

Thanks Juanjo.

I've actually been searching for La Tesis De Nancy anyway, so I'm thrilled to have finally found a couple of sellers!

And Los Mares del Sur sounds perfect!
stella is offline   Reply With Quote