Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 11th July 2008, 10:02 PM   #1
gary
Samuri Forero

Default Got Mine Today...

New iPhone out today, arrived by courier at 6pm, its now set up and running and I have bought my first app - Spanish-English dictionary which seems good at first glance - best part is it does verb conjugations.....
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 12:34 AM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
New iPhone out today, arrived by courier at 6pm, its now set up and running and I have bought my first app - Spanish-English dictionary which seems good at first glance - best part is it does verb conjugations.....
Is is faster with the 3G? I saw the lines forming in Spain at the stores.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:04 AM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Is is faster with the 3G? I saw the lines forming in Spain at the stores.
I'll let you know when I get to Leeds this afternoon - no 3G signal at home But it runs wifi so no problem. The curved back feels much better in your hand
Old 12th July 2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Hey peeps, have you seen this:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/29052

The solution to this problem is so simple, really: buy a fingernail file and/or some scissors. But some people enjoy being perpetual whiners, I guess.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Yossarian
El refugiado de estupidez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Hey peeps, have you seen this:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/29052

The solution to this problem is so simple, really: buy a fingernail file and/or some scissors. But some people enjoy being perpetual whiners, I guess.
Maybe to cut only one fingernail to type with - and call it the iNail?
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
Maybe to cut only one fingernail to type with - and call it the iNail?
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 11:22 AM   #7
jubilee
Mega Forero

I feel a bit sorry for those who bought the first version, and now there is a cheaper better version out, before the shine has even wore off their version....
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 12:34 PM   #8
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
I feel a bit sorry for those who bought the first version, and now there is a cheaper better version out, before the shine has even wore off their version....
No need to feel sorry O2 were halppy to give me a free upgrade to sign on and start my contract anew - so now I have 2 -one for me and one for mrs c who is delighted to have a phone/iPod/diary/notebook/portable video/email machine
Old 12th July 2008, 12:44 PM   #9
jubilee
Mega Forero

Hey that sounds like a good deal!
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Ben
Hero Forero

I'm more on the fence than I thought I would be. Telefonica want me to sign a two year contract to get an iphone from them, which just seems ridiculous. The rates would be (for me the cheapest are fine) 9 euros per month for calls, and the obligatory 15 euro data plan. Add vat, and that's about 28 euros a month, for two years, somewhere around 900 euros in the end once you add a couple of hundred-ish for the handset. That's do-able, but:

- I hardly ever use my current phone
- When I get out of the house the last thing I want is to check my email
- I'm online all day every day anyway as I work at home
- I already have a perfectly good ipod

So, if I got one it would be pure avarice, and I'm trying to keep an eye on that these days! The jury is still out...
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 03:51 PM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

The two year deal must be Apple's doing. We have to commit here in the US for 2 years with our provider; AT&T.

Ben, wouldn't the GPS feature help justify the purchase? Come to the dark side!!
Old 12th July 2008, 08:15 PM   #13
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
The two year deal must be Apple's doing. We have to commit here in the US for 2 years with our provider; AT&T.

Ben, wouldn't the GPS feature help justify the purchase? Come to the dark side!!

18months with O2 (Telefonica) and they give you the phone free if you sign up to £45 a month with 1200 minutes and 500 texts.

Theres a £35 and £30 plan but you pay £99 for the phone.

Pay as you go is coming so they say

Its not the best phone in the world but the stuff it can do with apps is great

Theres one called Shazam - you hold the iphone near the car radio with a song playing, after a few minutes it tells you what the song is and whos singing... and offers you the opportunity to buy it on iTunes

The dictionary app I have is great

It now all syncs automatically with everything I own, I can take a pic and have it online in seconds, I know all this was already possible but now its easy as well - as usual with Mac, no manual required - fiddle about with it for a while and youll just figure it out.

GPS works okay if the unit can see the sky, it tracked us through leeds today, seems to be accurate to about 15-20 feet, so as we crossed Crown Point bridge it put us in the river, but not bad for free... not looking forward to location based pushmail from google though...

the 3G is noticeably quicker than Edge

It is much prettier and sits in your hand better than the old one

Last edited by gary; 12th July 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 18th July 2008, 09:35 AM   #14
Ben
Hero Forero

Looks like my current mobile phone is on it's last legs (only just noticed ) so crumbled and went to the local Telefonica shop today to ask about iPhones and how to get one... hopefully by the end of the month I'll have one.

Not too happy about paying Telefonica lots of money, but it's a legit business expense, and I can get a plan that works out at about 28 euors a month. That includes 9 euros of calls, and the obligatory 15 euro a month minimum data plan - you get a pathetic 200 mb a month at 3 G speeds, then you still get unlimited data, but 'slower', though they won't clarify what that means. No one here seems bothered about that though, due to the huge availability of wifi everywhere, and to get a 1gb at 3G plan would cost an extra 10 euros a month, just not worth it.

So, long story short, iPhone coming
Old 18th July 2008, 11:34 AM   #15
gary
Samuri Forero

I'm very happy with mine. I also have a DotMac account, now called MobileMe, which syncs calendars and contacts and pushes mail to the phone and allows photo uploads from the phone as well.
At first i was a bit down about the battery life, until I realised that everything and its dog was switched on.
3G is faster but eats battery, I turn it off if I'm not using the browser,
Likewise wi-fi I turn it on when I want it.
But the real battery killer is the automatic Fetch connection to see if you have new SMTP email. By default this checks every 15 mins, turning this on to manual so that I have to click to get email improved battery life immensely to the point where its now very acceptable.
The GPS is adequate and tracked us through leeds last week, it likes a clear view if the sky and seems to work best when 3G is turned on.
Apps are good, I had to get the rotory dialler, I got the flashlight and the voice recorder all free and paid for a Spanish - English dictionary which seems more than adequate.
I have every NIS Advanced podcast on it and a dozen Twits and Cranky Geeks, some radio comedy and dozens of other podcasts, totalling 4 days in all as well as a couple of feature films and still have 12Gb left to play with...
Old 18th July 2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Ben
Hero Forero

Flashlight? How does that work?!
I imagine you need 3g for the gps as it will be pulling the maps down as you move...
Old 18th July 2008, 12:37 PM   #17
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Congrats Ben (and by that I mean I'm jealous) but seriously congrats. I wonder how long before Marina discovers its importance. The craze for the iPhone goes on.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 18th July 2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 18th July 2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Ben
Hero Forero

what about yours VS? When's it coming?!
Old 18th July 2008, 03:41 PM   #19
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
what about yours VS? When's it coming?!
We are going to wait until October. I'll have my son's Mac Mini paid off by then and more bugs will hopefully be resolved in this version. At that time, Leslie and I will get ours. I'm starting a new job and I'll be on call every once in a while so I think the iPhone will help out nicely.
Old 18th July 2008, 03:59 PM   #20
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Flashlight? How does that work?

It's a simple free app that turns every pixel on the screen White and thereby provides sufficient ambient light to sneak in to bed after a longhail session without tripping over and waking one's slumbering beloved
V useful on Thursdays!