Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 29th August 2008, 01:36 PM   #61
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Why would a man called Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson care about his hair He's just a great British eccentric, sorely needed in an increasingly uniform world (IMHO)

Couldn't agree with you more.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 02:59 PM   #62
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Now it appears the Aussies faked part of the opening ceremony for the Sydney Olympics as well:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...ce-913297.html

Do the same comments made against Chinese for faking part of their opening ceremony also apply to the Australians?

Last edited by Legazpi; 30th August 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 03:05 PM   #63
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
Now it appears the Aussies faked part of the opening ceremony for the Sydney Olympics as well:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...ce-913297.html

Do the same comments made against Chinese for faking part of their opening ceremony also apply to the Australians?
No because it was more than the lip-synching waif which Beijing faked during the opening ceremonies.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 03:52 PM   #64
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
No because it was more than the lip-synching waif which Beijing faked during the opening ceremonies.
So you're saying it's ok to broadcast pre-recorded music, but it's not ok to broadcast some pre-recorded fireworks?
Old 30th August 2008, 03:54 PM   #65
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
So you're saying it's ok to broadcast pre-recorded music, but it's not ok to broadcast some pre-recorded fireworks?
No, I'm saying Beijing did more than just provide canned music, they also provided canned visuals so it's not the same.
Old 30th August 2008, 04:29 PM   #66
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
No, I'm saying Beijing did more than just provide canned music, they also provided canned visuals so it's not the same.
OK, I'll re-phrase my question(s):

Was it acceptable for China to fake the singing in their opening ceremony?
Was it acceptable for China to fake the fireworks in their opening ceremony?
Was it acceptable for Australia to fake the music in their opening ceremony?

If the answers to the above questions are different, then why?

There is another issue here regarding the exchange of the Chinese girl who genuinely sung for another one who was more photogenic, but I'm assuming most people here would agree that that was unacceptable.
Old 30th August 2008, 04:56 PM   #67
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
OK, I'll re-phrase my question(s):

Was it acceptable for China to fake the singing in their opening ceremony?
Was it acceptable for China to fake the fireworks in their opening ceremony?
Was it acceptable for Australia to fake the music in their opening ceremony?

If the answers to the above questions are different, then why?

There is another issue here regarding the exchange of the Chinese girl who genuinely sung for another one who was more photogenic, but I'm assuming most people here would agree that that was unacceptable.
To your first 3 questions: no, no and no. To garnishing the photogenic whelp with all the recognition which belongs to the real singer, absolutely unacceptable.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:44 PM   #68
Berti
Super Forero

Whilst there exist many variants of the English language, there are occasions when even allowing for them, you are left in little doubt as to the underlying opinion of the writer.
This thread contains two examples. The young Chinese girl, featured miming at the opening ceremony has been described as both a:
” lip-synching waif” and “ photogenic whelp”

One of those examples without the other may be explained by a regional variant of English, but the two combined and stated by the same poster, to me, clearly refer to the young Chinese girl in a derogatory manner.

Perhaps the poster did not intend this perhaps the poster did, however those posts do little to foster an amiable environment. Now what was the name of our forum moderator who recently closed another thread for that same reason?
Berti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 02:17 PM   #69
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti View Post
One of those examples without the other may be explained by a regional variant of English, but the two combined and stated by the same poster, to me, clearly refer to the young Chinese girl in a derogatory manner.
My take on it is that neither of the girls is being judged but the fact that the deception was thought to be necessary to produce a perceived aesthetic improvement is the thing to be questioned...

HOWEVER

The same thing was done way back on the disco track "Ride on Time" you may recall so the Chinese do not have the monopoly on this practice.

Further, in pop videos and feature films unless the face of the celebrity in question is needed in the shot then the leg, bum, hand and longshots are usually filmed by a second unit with a body double to save time and therefore money. The same british girl has done double work for Kylie, Christina, Jennifer and Britney. In the Pretty Woman poster the bum and legs do not belong to Julia Roberts but to Donna Scoggins...

...insofar as CGI is concerned, its a tool that's available so the TV guys use it...

... and lipsyncing is common practice in TV studios, let alone massive outdoor productions because it is just technically easier to get a perfect sounding product. Most UK TV pop shows now have the singer on a live mic singing karaoke style to a backing track whilst the band go throught the motions... its technically much simpler (and therefore cheaper)

NONE of the ambient sound in feature films is real and if scenes are filmed in noisy locations all the audio is wiped and the actors do reverse lipsyncing to their own images...

This is not new Benjamin Franklin pointed out that you should

“Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.”

All artistic ventures require the suspension of disbelief - so suspend it and enjoy it for what it is - entertainment...

Last edited by gary; 31st August 2008 at 02:25 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 03:37 PM   #70
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti View Post
Whilst there exist many variants of the English language, there are occasions when even allowing for them, you are left in little doubt as to the underlying opinion of the writer.
This thread contains two examples. The young Chinese girl, featured miming at the opening ceremony has been described as both a:
” lip-synching waif” and “ photogenic whelp”

Perhaps the poster did not intend this perhaps the poster did, however those posts do little to foster an amiable environment. Now what was the name of our forum moderator who recently closed another thread for that same reason?
Forest, meet trees, trees, meet forest. Some will confuse the two of you as one.
Old 7th November 2008, 08:06 PM   #71
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asturiasjohn View Post
A restaurant in China wanted to prepare for the Olympics and wondered how to attract english speaking tourists.

Rather than pay for a professional to translate their restaurant sign, they ran it through an online translator and had a new shop front fitted.

Big mistake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post

BTW, José Antonio Millán blogged about this incident fairly recently.

http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums...ead.php?t=6152
Here's a related incident, closer to (my) home:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

{smirk, smirk}
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 09:25 PM   #72
gastephen

Default Here's another one...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...d-1058031.html

Hot housewives.. oooh errr.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:30 PM   #73
ksgrossman
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
A good example of why every publication should have pictures. I think the publishers would have picked up on their error.
ksgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:30 PM   #74
gastephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrossman View Post
A good example of why every publication should have pictures. I think the publishers would have picked up on their error.
And an example of why town planners should have good spatial awareness:

http://www.moillusions.com/2008/12/n...-illusion.html

Oooo, errrr, I say! (again)