Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 10th July 2010, 04:15 PM   #121
steph
chapurreo español

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
And if they lose ...
...b-b-but, they cant! The Oracle (aka Paul the Octopus) has already spoken.

steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 04:27 PM   #122
steph
chapurreo español

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpeace View Post
AWESOME vid! Yo deseo estuve allí ahora.

(¡Jejeje! Was that even correct???)
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 01:13 AM   #123
parubin
el del espejo

¡¡ CAMPEONES DEL MUNDO !!
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 01:19 AM   #124
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

ENHORABUENA ESPA˜NA!!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 02:03 AM   #125
Legazpi
Mega Forero

What a relief! Holland were really ugly tonight, and I feared they might "do an Italy" and somehow sneak an undeserved win. However the best team (in the world) won and I'm hoping Spain's success will influence how other countries approach football from now on: with more style, intelligence and teamwork, and less physicality, showing off and cheating.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 05:12 AM   #126
Drummer
Forero

I wonder if there will be any parties going on tonight in Spain? LOL
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 12:26 PM   #127
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 06:04 PM   #128
asturiasjohn
Super Forero

somehow I managed to press record just as Iniesta scored

http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_shackleton/4786447501/
asturiasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 06:26 PM   #129
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
What a relief! Holland were really ugly tonight, and I feared they might "do an Italy" and somehow sneak an undeserved win. However the best team (in the world) won and I'm hoping Spain's success will influence how other countries approach football from now on: with more style, intelligence and teamwork, and less physicality, showing off and cheating.
Spain are a team of great skill but I've got to say they dive around at the slightest contact. They are not perfect. Also being the lowest scoring Champions ever despite all that neat passing they are not entertaining in every aspect of the game.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 07:08 PM   #130
fawlty
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Yes,this gave me frequent pulpotations!
fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 12:26 AM   #131
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Spain are a team of great skill but I've got to say they dive around at the slightest contact.
It looks like Cruyff is not of the same opinion. The guardian

Do you call that the slightest contact? And he only got a yellow card!!

Last edited by Pippa; 13th July 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 01:47 PM   #132
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
It looks like Cruyff is not of the same opinion. The guardian

Do you call that the slightest contact? And he only got a yellow card!!
I couldn't find anything about diving/simulation in the article. Yes Holland were dirty in the final. I'm not arguing against that. I'm not saying Alonso dived when De Jong did his karate kick. Spain players in games often throw themselves when merely brushed against.

England players are starting to do it more these days. I blame all those "continentals" (as the ex-player pundits call anyone from overseas) for introducing diving into the Premier League. In England our bad side was dirty tackling till not long ago. Many from other parts of the world still think the English game as played in the leagues is too rough.

I don't want to sound like I'm carping about Spain's win. Spain were the best team in my opinion.
Old 13th July 2010, 05:23 PM   #133
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Spain are a team of great skill but I've got to say they dive around at the slightest contact. They are not perfect. Also being the lowest scoring Champions ever despite all that neat passing they are not entertaining in every aspect of the game.
I can't think of any Spanish players who "dive" - although British players do try to stay on their feet more. I admit it is frustrating for British players to have to pull out of what they'd consider to be fair challenges because they know the opposing players will go down easily and probably win a free kick. But on the other hand if left to its own devices, the British game might easily revert to long ball tactics. What's needed is a more consistent application of the law, so players can adapt the way they play accordingly. But this is difficult because football supporters in the UK demand a different interpretation of the law than those in Spain.

However the fact is Spain do play positively - always trying to attack (albeit less directly than in the UK). It was unusual for them to score so few goals (they scored many more in the qualifiers and in Euro 2008) - maybe the fact that Torres was so out of form had something to do with it.
Old 13th July 2010, 06:55 PM   #134
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

Get that bloody shirt of our man!
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 08:15 PM   #135
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
I can't think of any Spanish players who "dive" - although British players do try to stay on their feet more. I admit it is frustrating for British players to have to pull out of what they'd consider to be fair challenges because they know the opposing players will go down easily and probably win a free kick. But on the other hand if left to its own devices, the British game might easily revert to long ball tactics. What's needed is a more consistent application of the law, so players can adapt the way they play accordingly. But this is difficult because football supporters in the UK demand a different interpretation of the law than those in Spain.

However the fact is Spain do play positively - always trying to attack (albeit less directly than in the UK). It was unusual for them to score so few goals (they scored many more in the qualifiers and in Euro 2008) - maybe the fact that Torres was so out of form had something to do with it.

I've watched quite a lot of Spanish football on Sky TV in the UK. I can see why Sky like to show it. German football? Dutch football The Spanish league style is often an attacking style. It might be better to watch than La roja because with inferior teams possession changes sides more often.

Last edited by Stephen; 13th July 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:41 PM   #136
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightykaboosh View Post

Get that bloody shirt of our man!
I saw that on TV last night, and I must say he was taken by surprise by Reina, Puyol and Piqué. Cesc looked very, very embarrassed and took it off as soon as they let him do it.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 12:00 PM   #137
Stephen
Mega Forero

Reina is the joker of the Spain squad I read. I wonder if he can still joke around with his English speaking ability at Liverpool.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:14 PM   #138
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Reina is the joker of the Spain squad I read. I wonder if he can still joke around with his English speaking ability at Liverpool.
Yes I remember when Spain won Euro 2008 the whole team were presented in Plaza Colón in Madrid, and Reina practically ran the whole event for some considerable time, joking with the crowd, telling stories, introducing various acts, etc. The Spanish footballers tend to communicate with the public and media much more freely than in England. On the night before the final Tele 5 had Casillas live on air for quite some time, just chatting away. In England all the TV interviews are more staged and the players tend to be hidden from the media (unsurprisingly).