Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 30th December 2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Errant in Iberia Part II - what do you want to know?!

On our way to the UK for Christmas, sitting on an Easyjet flight at 7 a.m. after only 3 hours sleep, I decided it was time to write part two of the Errant in Iberia book/story.

I made lots of notes and will start the book in the next day or so. Instead of a linear story, like the last book, this will be much more like the blog, and will include (as requested): filling in the story of what happened to Marina and me since the end of the last book, and the sort of things you might find on notesfromspain.com - Lists, opinions, recipes, whatever fits! I want to write it quickly, honestly, and I want to have fun doing it. It has to be written, and now seems like a good time. What else can you do in January?

Also, it was this time last year that we used the Spanish podcasts to raise lots of money for Charity, and, as a repeat gesture, I'll be giving 10% of any proceeds from sales of the new book via NFS.com to charity too. Not sure which yet, hopefully we can vote on that here in the forum.

So, the question is, what would you like to see in the book? What questions do you have about Spain, Marina and Ben since the end of the last book, or whatever, that you think I could answer in this one.

I hope to finish it by mid feb, and I hope you will give me some ideas! Comments/suggestions below please:
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 09:34 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

How you two met but this time written by Marina from her perspective.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 09:41 PM   #3
richardksa
Jedi Forero

You bought you first flat in book 1. Now you are in flat 2. You did remodelling in both. So, what had you learned by the second time around? Had the property prices increased by much? Did the introduction of the Euro have an effect?

How have you become more Spanish? Do you feel like an ex-pat or at home? These things would be interesting to those of us now actually following in your footsteps. And have you stopped erring?
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Ben
Hero Forero

Great ideas. Definitely will be included. More ideas please!
Old 31st December 2006, 04:56 AM   #5
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Perhaps you could touch on your experiences in Spain and the whole immersion of it allowing you to socially side-step the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and observe the natives as one yourself.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

I can't really give you an answer since I haven't been able to get hold of the first book so far, so I don't know what's in it. After six months of trying, my book store finally gave up.

In case you didn't write about working as a translator in Spain, could you tell us some more about that?
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 11:38 AM   #7
rod
Mega Forero

Ben, great news, I very much enjoyed reading the book over Xmas. The only disappointment was realising I'd got to the last page and it was still Summer 2001, so good to hear there will be a sequel.

1. Perhaps an obvious one. The impact of 11M and the events of the following days on you, Marina, and your circle of family and friends. Did you lose anyone? Did it make you feel any different about Madrid? It was reported in the British press as an event that personally affected everybody in Madrid - was it really like that? Also perhaps your reminiscences of Sep 11: I don't think anyone can write their autobiography covering that period without mentioning where they were at the time and how it affected them.

2. Yes, a detailed account of any house moves so that we can all learn from your experiences! Have you moved from Lavapies now? Do you think it has changed much since you bought the flat there? For possible inspiration, I came across this shock-horror feature in the Observer just before Xmas which makes the place out to be a crime-ridden hellhole, almost like a Rio favela:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/arti...922777,00.html

Surely it is not as bad as this. Or is it?

3. I'm curious to know to what extent the initial novelty of living in Spain passes. I was only in Andalucia for eight months so every public fiesta/feria I was experiencing for the first (and so far only) time, so it was all endlessly fascinating. But what happens when the annual calendar rolls round again and then again and it becomes the new routine (a personal example: there I was in Sevilla congratulating myself on having arranged to be there over both Semana Santa and Feria de Abril, only to find that most Spanish thirtysomethings I knew - an admittedly small group - found at least the first of these events and often the second too, boring and an inconvenience, and fled to the coast as soon as they could get off work);

4. And yes I would be interested to hear Marina's side of the story! Again, when I was in Andalucia I couldn't help but be curious about what the Spanish people I met made of my obvious hispanophilia: it must be odd meeting an outsider so fascinated by aspects of your culture that have always been part of your life and to some extent you have come to take for granted.

Last edited by rod; 2nd January 2007 at 10:22 AM.
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Ben
Hero Forero

Edith, order a copy from the publisher, via http://www.lulu.com/content/169417 and you will definitely get it within about a week.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they will all go in, please keep them coming!
Old 31st December 2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Default Traducción español

Me gustaría leer su autobiografía en español. ¿Nunca ha pensado en haciendo una traducción?
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 06:38 AM   #10
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

Default How about a day in the life of Ben and Marina

How about a run through of a day in the life of Ben and a separate one for Marina.
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
Me gustaría leer su autobiografía en español. ¿Nunca ha pensado en haciendo una traducción?
Todavia no... Chris Stewart tardo una decada en traducir Driving Over Lemons en Español, y el habia vendido ya 1,000,000 de ejemplares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskadebilbao View Post
How about a run through of a day in the life of Ben and a separate one for Marina.
Good idea!
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Default Errant in Iberia Part II

Otro idea: Si no tengas tiempo para hacer la traducción su mismo - otra persona, quizás un estudiante, pueda hacerla; y en vez de pagarlo, puedas compartir un por ciento de las ventas con él. Además siempre puedes cargar más para la edición española. Puesto que hay muchas personas quienes desean leer no en inglés sino en español, creo que valdrán la diferencia en precio.
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Acosta
Mega Forero

Reverse Cultural view, how do you view the Brits visiting , coming to live in Spain and do you agree or disagree with how they are stereotyped by the Spanish.

(make a note to please leave out the ugly American Stereo types....)
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:19 AM   #14
Ben
Hero Forero

Margot - I'll definitely think about it!

Acosta - thanks for the idea, I like it.

More please!
Old 4th January 2007, 01:10 PM   #15
gary
Samuri Forero

How long did it take before the Spanish that can speak English stopped answering you in English when you attempt to engage them in Spanish?

How long was it before you stopped getting completely lost when, say Marina and a group of her friends cut loose in quick fire banter...?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 09:36 PM   #16
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Margot - I'll definitely think about it!

Good! I'll be second in line after Margot to buy the Spanish version.

Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 10:31 PM   #17
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Todavia no... Chris Stewart tardo una decada en traducir Driving Over Lemons en Español, y el habia vendido ya 1,000,000 de ejemplares!

Good idea!
Is that the book where the guy was permanently whining about trying to get the plasterer and plumber to do any work and getting a water supply sorted?

At least he got a plumber they are like rocking horse sh*t in the UK!!
Old 5th January 2007, 07:48 AM   #18
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Gary, quick plug. My son is a very good plumber and heating engineer (CORGI approved) running his own business in York.
Old 5th January 2007, 12:30 PM   #19
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Gary, quick plug. My son is a very good plumber and heating engineer (CORGI approved) running his own business in York.
Thanks for that - its a 120 mile round trip to our house but ýou never know!!
Old 5th January 2007, 02:19 PM   #20
richardksa
Jedi Forero

He would make the trip - and I could use the commission!!!!!!