Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 15th January 2007, 04:05 PM   #21
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Can there be a PC and a Mac connected to the same router which is connected to the same modem for internet connectivity? Do Macs handle Xbox live?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 04:28 PM   #22
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Frank, you're getting very defensive over Photoshop, so I'll back down on this one but the Gimp does everything I have ever needed. The copy of Photoshop I have experience of is a few years old so things have probably improved a lot since then. The GIMP easily matches the features of that one, but I'm not up to date with the latest so if you tell me that Photoshop is better, I'll believe you. I still think that the Gimp is more than good enough for 99% of people.
No, not defensive, Alan, as I said, Gimp for nought is excellent, and to be honest, I haven't looked at Gimp for years, but I don't think it does any of the things I mentioned. I belong to several photo forums, and Gimp does not get much of a mention, if people don't run PSCS2, they tend to go for PS Elements, about £70, or Paint Shop Pro, a similar figure. Like Gimp they both do very similar things to PSCS2, and unless you are going to use all that PSCS2 has to offer, there is no point in parting with £500.
I run two licences for Capture One software ae well, as I always shoot in RAW format, and there are other cheaper RAW Converters available, but I'm happy to pay it as I think it's the best. It's about £80, but I must admit I used this offer to get the second licence. An excellent deal if anyone needs the programme, you can buy a 1gb Compact Flash card for £25 plus it includes a full licence for Capture One.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 08:14 PM   #23
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Re the comment about the included photo manipulation package, I'm sure any photographer worth his salt would be running Photoshop CS2. It's a bit like saying a lot of PC packages throw in Photoshop Elements for free.
My sugestion was that as a professional photographer perhaps only minimal image manipulation would be necessary.

CS2 elements is only £19 for Gods sake - and if you need the full blown version you are already working for a major magazine and they will pay for it!!!!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 08:28 PM   #24
Ben
Hero Forero

It's going to be a Macbook, a black one. I'm excited about trying out Macs again after abandoning them a few years back. Very exciting!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 09:13 PM   #25
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
It's going to be a Macbook, a black one. I'm excited about trying out Macs again after abandoning them a few years back. Very exciting!
Let me be the first to say CONGRATS!

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 6th November 2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 19th January 2007, 10:23 PM   #26
omeyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
My sugestion was that as a professional photographer perhaps only minimal image manipulation would be necessary.

CS2 elements is only £19 for Gods sake - and if you need the full blown version you are already working for a major magazine and they will pay for it!!!!
Apologies, you're obviously an expert! There was me thinking there was no such thing as CS2 Elements, that it was either Photoshop CS2, or Photoshop Elements. There was me thinking that the latest version of Elements, Elements 5 would cost you a lot more than £19 new, obviously Amazon have got it wrong. As for working for a magazine, you're miles out, thousands of very ordinary amateur photographers own and use Photoshop CS, ( you can even get a reduced price student version) and if you think pro snappers only use minimal image manipulation, take a look at any model or whatever on the front of a magazine. They are seriously manipulated, perfect skin, no marks, lines, perfect blue eyes etc. Do think they look like that normally?
By the way, if you can get the latest version of Elements for £19, I'll take as many as you can get! Your statement about there being such a thing as Elements CS2 tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of Photoshop.

Last edited by omeyas; 19th January 2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:41 AM   #27
DocMolly
Molita

Default Mac Rules!!!

I've always used a pc, just switched over to a mac mini 6 months ago and will NEVER go back. for internet and multimedia it is much more slick, so much more fun..and it never crashes or gets jammed up. And I use Adobe reader on my mac all the time when using PDF documents.

...as if you needed another opinion.

Molly

Last edited by DocMolly; 20th January 2007 at 12:43 AM.
DocMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 02:06 AM   #28
Alan
El Listo ;)

Quote:
Apologies, you're obviously an expert! There was me thinking there was no such thing as CS2 Elements, that it was either Photoshop CS2, or Photoshop Elements. There was me thinking that the latest version of Elements, Elements 5 would cost you a lot more than £19 new, obviously Amazon have got it wrong. As for working for a magazine, you're miles out, thousands of very ordinary amateur photographers own and use Photoshop CS, ( you can even get a reduced price student version) and if you think pro snappers only use minimal image manipulation, take a look at any model or whatever on the front of a magazine. They are seriously manipulated, perfect skin, no marks, lines, perfect blue eyes etc. Do think they look like that normally?
By the way, if you can get the latest version of Elements for £19, I'll take as many as you can get! Your statement about there being such a thing as Elements CS2 tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of Photoshop.
This board has been free of this kind of sarcasm for as long as it has been online and I, for one, can do without it.

You might be right, you might not, but put your point across in a polite manner.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 02:13 AM   #29
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Apologies, you're obviously an expert!
You may have evidence to counter an argument but what you say is just as important as how you say it. If you use an inappropriate tone to argue a point, your argument becomes pointless. Please find a better way to do so, one doesn't involve sarcasm.

Thanks.
Old 20th January 2007, 06:19 AM   #30
cubix
Mega Forero

Congrats on getting the mac, i was going to chirp into this disscussion but I have been so busy with school and my internship that I hadn't had time to post a proper post.
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 09:51 AM   #31
omeyas

This board has been free of this kind of sarcasm for as long as it has been online and I, for one, can do without it.

It's a free choice whether you read my posts or not, if you don't find them to your taste, give them a miss.
I would not attempt to correct the man on the subject of computers etc, as he obviously knows a great deal about the subject, and I know know next to nothing. However, I don't like his arrogant approach when he tries to educate me on the subject of Photoshop. I'm no expert on any subject, but I suspect his knowledge of Photoshop is even less than mine.

You might be right, you might not, but put your point across in a polite manner.

Have we appointed moderators here? Or have you just taken it upon yourself to give out orders?
Old 20th January 2007, 10:52 AM   #32
Alan
El Listo ;)

There have been two very reasonable requests to post politely. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. There are a number of "moderators", including ValenciaSon and me, but the fact isn't advertised because it's not necessary.

I'm not sure who you are saying is "arrogant" - if you mean me, then I apologise for that. I read over my posts, however, and can't see anywhere where I am being arrogant (although I have disagreed with you). I think it's probably gary, but all I see from him is using a "for God's sake".

I'm sorry that I didn't use the word "please" in my last post but it was 1 am. You call it "giving out orders" but I didn't mean it like that. If you'll forgive me for that, I hope you'll take what we're saying on board. The sarcasm isn't appreciated.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 11:04 AM   #33
Ben
Hero Forero

There are indeed 4 moderators on this board, Valenciason, Brian, Alan and Greytop. Their main role is to delete spam as soon as it arrives, but seeing as they have been around for a long time, they have a pretty good idea of the tone of these boards, which has always been polite and friendly. If they see posts that seem in anyway aggressive or unpolite (which I'm afraid the post in question did appear to be, whether that was the intention or not) then they have the right to either try to calm things down, or tell me or Marina about it. It is simply in the interests of maintaining the friendly atmosphere on this forum. Things get heated sometimes of course, but in a polite way. Anyway, no point in going on about this, I'm just trying to explain how I think this problem arose!

So, let's stop arguing in public about the role of moderators and the place of sarcasm etc and take it, if necessary, to the PMs.

All I have to say here is that this board has always been wonderfully polite and I hope it stays that way.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 11:09 AM   #34
eldeano
He's the most tip top

What about a charity duel between the two protagonists at dawn one morning during the Great Madrid Escape?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 12:12 PM   #35
Rizzo La Rata
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
What about a charity duel between the two protagonists at dawn one morning during the Great Madrid Escape?
Can you imagine how good they take aim after a night of cerveza, vino tinto and tapas, without a minute of sleep? They might shoot at everyone!!

I think we should do a poll on the weapons for the duell! Mudcatching might be very entertaining!!
Rizzo La Rata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 04:03 PM   #36
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Sorry Frank didnt realise that i might touch anyones supercilious bone, you are of course quite right in everything you say.

Please dont confuse flippant with arrogant.

My intention was, I reiterate, to suggest that as a professional photographer taking images with the intention of using them at a relatively low resolution on his blog, Ben might only have occasion to use a minimal set of image manipulation tools because of the quality of the original image resulting from his experience and expertise. Thats all. Nothing more was implied.

My intention was also to suggest that the a run of the mill amateur snapper might have sufficient tools in Elements without necessarily forking out the money for the professional product. Only trying to be helpful, for which I apologise profusely. Anyone seriously cas - strapped could use Gimp which is a very powerful image manipulation package that works on PC and Mac and is Free

http://www.gimp.org/

I checked my invoices and, once again I found you to be absolutely correct, I had mixed up two orders, it was Office Mac (yes I know it might not be called that - im sure you'll work it out.) was £19 volume licencing at education price.

The exact product and pricing I should have noted was

Adobe TLPE Photoshop Elements 4 International English MAC Full Lic
And the price is £29.61

Purchase in November 2006

If you are interested at this price I can put you in touch with Colin McGeachie who is my supplier, sorry reseller

A thousand apologies once again for the inaccurate information and my ignorance of the differences that obviously matter a great deal to you. Please dont' hesitate to set me straight if at any point in the future anything I may write is anything less than perfecly in alignment with your own thinking., disagreement and discussion is healthy. Just use a nicer tone!!

Last edited by gary; 20th January 2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 20th January 2007, 04:06 PM   #37
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

thanks for your support Alan - I have posted an apology.

Last edited by gary; 20th January 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 20th January 2007, 04:07 PM   #38
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
You may have evidence to counter an argument but what you say is just as important as how you say it. If you use an inappropriate tone to argue a point, your argument becomes pointless. Please find a better way to do so, one doesn't involve sarcasm.

Thanks.
Thanks VS I have tried to retierrate my points more clearly in a new post and apologised if I caused offence to Frank

Last edited by gary; 20th January 2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 20th January 2007, 05:49 PM   #39
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Can there be a PC and a Mac connected to the same router which is connected to the same modem for internet connectivity? Do Macs handle Xbox live?
Yes - we currently have PC and Mac and Xbox all working through our cable connection, some hard wired some wireless.

Dunno about XBox live - if mac os doesnt i suppose you could boot up in XP on the same machine which is a native Wintel machine running a standard version od (in my case ) XP i cant imagine it wouldnt do anything that a PC bases PC was capable of...
Old 20th January 2007, 05:52 PM   #40
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post

my flight and hotel are booked - I'll be there. cervezas at dawn!!!

Last edited by gary; 20th January 2007 at 05:55 PM.