Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 25th June 2008, 07:35 PM   #21
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid2008 View Post
Gary, I took Ben and Marina to the best Indian in Madrid a while back, and they both loved it.

Happy to arrange a NFS Madrid Curry night if enough people are interested. Honestly, this place will blow you away.

Dean
Oooooh yes, expect a call next time I'm in town... Dont get me wrong the currys I,ve had have been very good indeed but they are different. I suppose having grown up in Leeds/Bradford area and been on the curry certainly since before B&M were even conceived I have grown accustomed to the style of cooking prevalent in West Yorks which I think would be Bangladeshi. Those from other areas of a massive subcontinent will no doubt have regional variations. The use of fresh chillis rather than powder may account for the Jalfrezi variations when in spain, its different - Mrs C prefers it, I have my own particular favourite curry house that produces the Chix Jal that is exactly to my taste, but Chicken Achaar (with limes) is not available there and so I have a different fav for that dish(same place does great fish pakora). Mums Yorkshire Puddings are always the best!!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 07:40 PM   #22
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Isn't that how most drug addicts start out, just a harmless recreational drug? If you can limit it to that, that's fine, unfortunately many can't. But you already have it listed as a vice.
Alcohol, cigarettes work the same way... go easy on the manzanilla!!
Old 25th June 2008, 08:22 PM   #23
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Food
Cadbury's Dairy Milk
Hershey's chocolate syrup
Helado de Lúcuma
Ceviche
Chorritos a la Chalaca
Causa
Anticuchos de Corazón de Res
Chicha Morada
Ají de Gallina
Tacu-Tacu
Lomo Saltado
Inca Kola
Alfajores
Picarones
Mazamorra Morada
Seco de Chavelo
Pisco Sour
Rocoto Relleno
Pachamanca
Juane ****
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 08:23 PM   #24
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Juane ****
Hmm. Forum is broken.
Old 25th June 2008, 08:28 PM   #25
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Hmm. Forum is broken.
Might it be on the bad words list? separate the letters with dashes might work
Old 25th June 2008, 08:59 PM   #26
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Apple pie, chocolate brownies, Haagen-Dasz or Ben & Jerry ice cream, croquetas, foreign cheeses, tortilla chips, nuts, pasta dishes, jamón serrano/ibérico, gourmet food in general, Wittekerke rosé beer, new books, comfy shoes (!), outdoor clothing, Google.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 09:56 PM   #27
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Might it be on the bad words list? separate the letters with dashes might work
Two sentences got cut out afterwards. They were just some personal insults, some quips and some lewd sexist jokes... nothing terrible...
Old 25th June 2008, 09:59 PM   #28
gary
Samuri Forero

To demonstrate the bad words filter
S****************horpe
This is the name of a town in Lincolnshire famous for Steel making - I typed it properly - the system ads the stars. Amazingly Penistone gets through.

Last edited by gary; 25th June 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:57 AM   #29
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Two sentences got cut out afterwards. They were just some personal insults, some quips and some lewd sexist jokes... nothing terrible...
I could write anything in Dutch and nobody would notice!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 10:31 AM   #30
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Alcohol, cigarettes work the same way.
All being drugs, that's to be expected.

Quote:
.. go easy on the manzanilla!!
Always do! Whilst I like a nice wine, or even manzanilla when in Spain, I don't have a problem controlling it. At home, we'll have some wine on the weekends, but that's about it really. We're not big drinkers at all. If it's controllable, there's nothing wrong with a few drinks, but as I said, not everyone can control it. And whilst I know nothing about drugs, I get the impression it is far easier to get "enganchado".
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 11:31 AM   #31
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
And whilst I know nothing about drugs, I get the impression it is far easier to get "enganchado".
The population of Amsterdam and their government clearly dont share your opinion, and if anyone ought to know it would be them.

For my own part I reckon grownups should be allowed to make choices for themselves. I chose to enkjoy a few drinks with my mate, usually on Thursday night. We consume more than three pints and we stand at the bar or move from pup to pub. Technically this makes us binge drinkers and frankly I dont care. I also anjoted a similar binge in Madrid with Ben, Pepino, Eldeano, Tad, Posh, Becks ,Alistair, Graham, Diana & Her Hubby, et all

I am happy for anyone to disapprove - we had a great time
Old 26th June 2008, 12:59 PM   #32
omeyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The population of Amsterdam and their government clearly dont share your opinion, and if anyone ought to know it would be them.
Perhaps they don't, but there are always varying opinions, and rather than just listening to one opinion, it's often worth listening to others. They have a vested interest in getting people to travel to Amsterdam, perhaps they are telling you less than the truth. Personally, I don't care what drugs people take, it just isn't for me. You'll get various takes on the situation in Amsterdam, some saying it works, it doesn't lead onto heroin use etc, others as below, have a different take.

Mr. SOLOMON. Mr. Speaker, let me commend to you the following article written by a distinguished doctor and chairman of the International Drug Strategy Institute, Eric A. Voth, M.D. Dr. Voth advocates retaining tough drug laws to guard against rising crime and experimentation. Citing Holland as an example, the legalization of drugs has resulted in greatly increased crime and addiction.
Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.
The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%.

The report is a few years old, but I doubt much has changed.
Old 26th June 2008, 01:08 PM   #33
Pepino
Soy La Leche!

Not being medically trained in any way, I only know what I know, but it seems to me that yes, there are people who try soft drugs and end up on hard drugs, but I´d say these people are in a miniscule minority and they´re probably people with pre-dispositions to addictions that will get "addicted" to anything that comes their way anyway. Then there are many many people who can control themselves without problems, and who choose to relax with a soft drug once in a while and wouldn´t dream of wanting to take something harder. So let them. I don´t choose to do it, but I´m happy for others to.

Governments like to label things so they can produce statistics and use these to control people´s behaviour. Regarding alcohol, like Gary, I´m quite sure I would also be labelled as a regular binge drinker too (even though it´s usually just a shared bottle of wine follwed by a couple of G&Ts). I don´t wear it as a badge of honour in a "look at how much I can drink" kind of way (stopped doing that when I was 17), but neither do I care one jot. I just resent the label that´s slapped on me so that I can be put in a category as a vehicle for the government to micro-manage our lives for us, because they know best.

Just live your life and don´t hurt anybody. Respect your body but use it to have some fun while you´re alive.
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 01:58 PM   #34
omeyas

Quote:
Then there are many many people who can control themselves without problems, and who choose to relax with a soft drug once in a while and wouldn´t dream of wanting to take something harder. So let them. I don´t choose to do it, but I´m happy for others to.
I agree, but with certain limitations. For example, the BMA are concerned about drug use and driving. It is thought to be as dangerous as driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, but I think whilst there doesn't seem to definitive test like for alcohol, people are just jumping into cars after doing drugs.
We have a guy fitting a new kitchen for my son, and he was amazed when my wife told him she doesn't do, or has ever done drugs. It's part of his weekend, he told us, every weekend. As you say, he seems in control, enjoys a recreational drug, so no harm done.
My last 20 years were spent working on an oil refinery, and several times every week, people were selected at random for alcohol and drug tests, and anyone found with drugs in their system was eventually sacked. So the powers that be there, are not convinced that a "harnless recereational" drug is ok to take whilst working on a refinery.
Don't get me wrong, I am no aguafiestas, I have done my share of drinking, especially for many years in the Forces, but just never felt the need for drugs!

Last edited by omeyas; 26th June 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 26th June 2008, 02:35 PM   #35
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%.
Marijuana is not addictive. Perhaps it can become habitual but not addictive.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 02:58 PM   #36
omeyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Marijuana is not addictive. Perhaps it can become habitual but not addictive.
Says you. Others beg to differ.

As more and more evidence emerges about the dangers of cannabis, it
becomes apparent that it is anything but the 'soft drug', that pro drug
legalisers, and so called 'drug advisory agencies', have for so long been
perpetuating myths for so long.

One of the most dangerous myths touted is that cannabis is not addictive, nothing could be further from the truth, a fact that was established as
long ago as 1998, (1) but suppressed in the UK by those with vested
interests in legalsing and therefore spreading the use of marijuana.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/

Many people use marijuana compulsively even though it interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities. What makes this all the more disturbing is that marijuana use has been shown to be
myths
Three times more likely to lead to dependence among adolescents than
among adults.31 Research indicates that the earlier kids start using
marijuana, the more likely they are to become dependent on this or
other illicit drugs later in life

Last edited by omeyas; 26th June 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 26th June 2008, 03:09 PM   #37
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Clearly established is that the brain has THC receptor sites which means it is designed to process THC. It is not occupying a receptor site designed for an endogenous substance, therefore it is not addictive. Users will tell you that over time the effects of coordination loss are diminished, which only indicates the body's natural ability to adapt to it. This evidence was apparent in the 1980s.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 06:57 PM   #38
pedroenespana
pedroenespana

I've yet to try a drug that is half as addictive as nicotine
pedroenespana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 07:30 PM   #39
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am no aguafiestas, I have done my share of drinking, especially for many years in the Forces, but just never felt the need for drugs!
My drug of choice is, like you, alcohol and, also like you I have done my share. My dad drank almost every night of the week at the local, yet not in the house or (wierdly) on Thursdays. My friend Col and I will be out tonight and we will chat and laugh and peoplewatch all night and if the glass is empty we take it in turns to fill it up. Neither my dad, Col you (I presume) nor I are alcoholics or addicted, non of us turned to crime and yt we have used a very potent drug regularly over a number of years. Alcohol certainly fuels more violence on the city streets than any other drug - but I still enjoy it and would resent being told that I should not use it. You will find learned opinions that are similar to Franks quotations I am sure that connect crime and alcohol. Frankly they mean little to me as I am not my brothers keeper and I am quite happy to allow consenting adults to consent to what they like.

Insofar as 'drugs' are concerned, well I grew up in the sixties and seventies (man). I have many many friends that dabbled and more. The biggest dabbler I knew was a classmate...

Heres a quote from his CV
Quote:
  • Director - Siemens IT Solutions and Services, Siemens AG
  • Managing Director Project Managers International
  • Manager – Financial Sector OSI Group PLC, Brussels
  • Manager KPMG Consulting
  • Senior Systems Analyst Central TSB
  • Executive Officer NDPS (HMC&E) ACP80
Maybe his mind was expanded as much as his wallet clearly has been...

Anyone wants to PM me Ill give you the link to his full CV

Last edited by gary; 26th June 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 26th June 2008, 08:42 PM   #40
deecree
Errant in Forolandia