Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 26th June 2008, 11:52 PM   #41
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
My drug of choice is, like you, alcohol and, also like you I have done my share. My dad drank almost every night of the week at the local, yet not in the house or (wierdly) on Thursdays. My friend Col and I will be out tonight and we will chat and laugh and peoplewatch all night and if the glass is empty we take it in turns to fill it up. Neither my dad, Col you (I presume) nor I are alcoholics or addicted, non of us turned to crime and yt we have used a very potent drug regularly over a number of years. Alcohol certainly fuels more violence on the city streets than any other drug - but I still enjoy it and would resent being told that I should not use it. You will find learned opinions that are similar to Franks quotations I am sure that connect crime and alcohol. Frankly they mean little to me as I am not my brothers keeper and I am quite happy to allow consenting adults to consent to what they like.

Insofar as 'drugs' are concerned, well I grew up in the sixties and seventies (man). I have many many friends that dabbled and more. The biggest dabbler I knew was a classmate...

Heres a quote from his CV
Maybe his mind was expanded as much as his wallet clearly has been...

Anyone wants to PM me Ill give you the link to his full CV
I'll be sending Col my CV
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 11:59 PM   #42
zkl
Forero

[quote=madrid2008;54966
Happy to arrange a NFS Madrid Curry night if enough people are interested. Honestly, this place will blow you away.

Dean[/quote]

oooh I'll be into that!
zkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 12:22 AM   #43
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid2008 View Post
Happy to arrange a NFS Madrid Curry night if enough people are interested. Honestly, this place will blow you away.
Dean
Count me in
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 03:29 AM   #44
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Count me in
I wish I could go.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:17 AM   #45
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I'll be sending Col my CV
Andy...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 12:27 PM   #46
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Perhaps they don't, but there are always varying opinions, and rather than just listening to one opinion, it's often worth listening to others. They have a vested interest in getting people to travel to Amsterdam, perhaps they are telling you less than the truth. Personally, I don't care what drugs people take, it just isn't for me. You'll get various takes on the situation in Amsterdam, some saying it works, it doesn't lead onto heroin use etc, others as below, have a different take.
The average Dutch person is probably not more prone to try drugs than other Europeans, but for some reason or another we have that reputation. I have never been interested in drugs myself nor have I ever tried them, not even soft drugs. They are simply not for me, and I have never been to one of those so-called 'coffee shops' either.

Despite our dodgy reputation abroad, I don't think our national drug policy is really that bad. If you'd like to, you could read the National Drug Monitor:

http://www.trimbos.nl/default20462.html?back=1

Soft drugs may be relatively harmless in many cases, but when people with mental problems start using them, the outcome is often catastrophic. Cannabis may induce psychosis in people with a schizoid disposition, for instance, and some of the most problematic mental patients are those with a so-called double diagnosis (also known as 'double trouble'): they need treatment for their addiction as well as for their mental problems, and both factors reinforce each other.

ADHD is not a mental illness, but people with ADHD (or ADD) should stay away from drugs too. They are very prone to addiction.

Last edited by Edith; 27th June 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 12:30 PM   #47
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Andy...
Him too
Old 27th June 2008, 12:32 PM   #48
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

The most addictive substance which has killed more than any other is found in many widely available legal products, nicotine.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:39 PM   #49
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
The most addictive substance which has killed more than any other is found in many widely available legal products, nicotine.
True, it's more addictive than heroin. In a way, it's the real Montezuma's Revenge!
Old 27th June 2008, 04:15 PM   #50
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
True, it's more addictive than heroin.
Can´t speak for heroin, but my wife and I, brother and sister in law, all smoked fairly heavily at one time, but all gave up without any problems, so it can´t be that difficult. I think it´s the will power, more than the addiction, that is the key.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 06:03 PM   #51
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

I'd assume caffeine is pretty addictive. Most people rather than wanting a cup of coffee crave it. Any studies?
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 07:10 PM   #52
ksgrossman
Super Forero

There seems to be some studies that suggest sugar is addicting. Based on the responses to Ben's original question about vices, it seems we have some anecdotal evidence as well!
ksgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 08:10 PM   #53
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid2008 View Post
Gary, I took Ben and Marina to the best Indian in Madrid a while back, and they both loved it.

Dean
I'd be up for a curry as well
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 09:31 PM   #54
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
I'd assume caffeine is pretty addictive. Most people rather than wanting a cup of coffee crave it. Any studies?
I definitely need my coffee - preferably cappuchino - in the morning and I crave it too. That first cup of coffee just tastes so good! I drink three cups and that's it for the rest of the day.
Old 29th June 2008, 04:25 PM   #55
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

Quote:
I could write anything in Dutch and nobody would notice!
We would, one of us is Dutch and the other understands it well enough...
When we saw the title we thought well that is an interesting subject, but all of you are talking about food! So no other vices?
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 04:51 PM   #56
MrMark
Convert to vinos

What's your vice? I'm afraid I have far more than one, and have to clamp down hard on my impulses. My biggest (most expensive) vice has to be books. I was perusing the shelves of the local Blackwells yesterday, and realised I could easily spend 150-200 in one go if I let myself go. Having just started a new job I forced myself to leave without buying anything; that will change for sure in a few weeks time though!
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 07:24 PM   #57
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribeirasacra View Post
We would, one of us is Dutch and the other understands it well enough...
When we saw the title we thought well that is an interesting subject, but all of you are talking about food! So no other vices?
Yep, spending too much money on things I like instead of being a spendthrift, like many Dutchies! I'm not very 'zuinig', and I'm not ashamed of it!
Old 29th June 2008, 07:28 PM   #58
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Yep, spending too much money on things I like instead of being a spendthrift, like many Dutchies! I'm not very 'zuinig', and I'm not ashamed of it!
The most 'zuinig' must surely be our Belgian friends - every Time I have been on holiday they seem to go to bed immediately happy hour finishes.
Perhaps this is explained by the fact that it is said that there are more Bars in Madrid than in the whole of Belgium and they are overwhelmed
Old 29th June 2008, 07:49 PM   #59
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
The most 'zuinig' must surely be our Belgian friends - every Time I have been on holiday they seem to go to bed immediately happy hour finishes.
Perhaps this is explained by the fact that it is said that there are more Bars in Madrid than in the whole of Belgium and they are overwhelmed
No no, the Belgians are not 'zuinig' - they tend to spend far more money on eating out than the Dutch. On the other hand, the Dutch tend to travel more.

Belgian joke: Who invented copper thread? Two Dutchies pulling at a coin.
Old 29th June 2008, 07:56 PM   #60
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
No no, the Belgians are not 'zuinig' - they tend to spend far more money on eating out than the Dutch. On the other hand, the Dutch tend to travel more.

Belgian joke: Who invented copper thread? Two Dutchies pulling at a coin.
I stand corrected