Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 30th June 2008, 11:57 PM   #81
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post

Aren't the Scots Calvinists, too? (no offense meant to the Scots, the few Scottish people I know are very nice!)
None taken. And yes, the main church in Scotland is Presbyterian, which has Calvinist roots. An important figure in the movement was the Scot John Knox who led the Reformation in Scotland by protesting against Catholicism and against the Catholic Mary, Queen of Scots. His house can still be seen today in the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

Inappropriate politically incorrect joke: Q: why do you see "f*ck the pope!" in graffiti in Scotland? A: Because no one can be bothered to write "f*ck the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland!".

Ob vice: Rambling.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 11:59 PM   #82
Berti
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post

Aren't the Scots Calvinists, too? (no offense meant to the Scots, the few Scottish people I know are very nice!)
Edith, you may in your post be referring to a part of the historical Scottish religious faith. Historically the Scottish Calvinists were known as the reformed protestant movement who believed in an absolute rule of God.

In general the Scots of today remain a mixed race of faith or not,but I personally would never describe the Scots of today as Calvanist. As a Scot, I take no offence from your post, but it may be better placed (like many other off topic posts that many post) in a new thread for others with an interest in religious history.
Berti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 12:13 AM   #83
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Bertie, it was just a sociological observation about the Dutch Calvinist mentality in general, nada más. Everyone in Holland is said to be somewhat Calvinist in outlook, not only Protestants but even Catholics, Jews and atheists. People in Holland often make jokes about this mentality (e.g. referring to Holland as 'this little Calvinist country of ours'). And I was simply asking a question about Scotland, not making a statement.

Sorry for going off-topic, but this is the Rastro where everyone is allowed to go off on a tangent every now and then.

OK, back to the vices now.

Last edited by Edith; 1st July 2008 at 12:19 AM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 12:26 AM   #84
Palmerito
El Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
¡Me encanta todos tipos de queso! Me voy a hacer gordo. Tambien, necesito quitar de fumar...estoy tratando.
Buenas suerte en dejar de fumar. Yo deje de fumar hace 8 años. Usé "the patch". Eso me ayudö mucho. Pero cuidado que no comas tanto (especialmente queso). ¡Es facil engordarse cuando uno deje de fumar!
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 09:44 PM   #85
Brent
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmerito View Post
Buenas suerte en dejar de fumar. Yo deje de fumar hace 8 años. Usé "the patch". Eso me ayudö mucho. Pero cuidado que no comas tanto (especialmente queso). ¡Es facil engordarse cuando uno deje de fumar!
Gracias. Estoy usando "lozenges" ahora, pero trataré "the patch" si no tenga suerte. Temo que voy a quitar de café y vino también si vaya tener exito. ¡Todo eso y queso también...que arollo!
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote