Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Is Fidel really dead?
Yes 8 42.11%
No 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd September 2006, 11:02 AM   #81
Marbella

Don't take this as an attack on you personally because it's not meant to be so, but I always think that this is 'compassion at a safe distance'.

For example, if you had a close relative or friend whose life had been taken away either through death or long-term imprisonment just for being a political opponent of Castro or Franco, would you feel so kindly towards them?

I just think live by the sword die by the sword when it comes to people like this.

Last edited by Marbella; 3rd September 2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 3rd September 2006, 12:33 PM   #82
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbella

I just think live by the sword die by the sword when it comes to people like this.
This is a big moral dilemma and I can see your point of view... what my mother meant back then is that by rejoicing in their suffering, we become a bit like them and that's not what we want. At that time I was a politically-involved 18-year old with strong opinions and my mother was a bit alarmed by the fact that I was so glad Franco was terminally ill. For some reason I still remember that discussion very well. Of course I'll be glad to see Castro gone, no doubt about that. I hate dictators of all political persuasions.

P.s.: IMO, the best punishment for any dictator would be to stand trial. There should be no excuse because of age or health. Imagine how humiliated Saddam Hussein must feel deep down, even though he's acting up all the time before the court! I had a real good laugh when they pulled him out of that cave, disheveled and knowing that his days as a dictator were finally over. Let them all be brought to trial and atone for their sins by having to confront their victims and having to listen to their stories. That is how I feel about it. I would have wished this upon Pol Pot, for instance, the Khmer Rouge leader who killed two million of his own people in the most atrocious way. Unfortunately he died in his own bed before anyone was able to bring him to trial.

Last edited by Edith; 3rd September 2006 at 12:42 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:54 PM   #83
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Imagine how humiliated Saddam Hussein must feel deep down, even though he's acting up all the time before the court! I had a real good laugh when they pulled him out of that cave, disheveled and knowing that his days as a dictator were finally over.
I think that Hussein is so arrogant and outraged by the trial that he's incapable of feeling humiliation.

In my view, bringing those who have committed crimes to trial is somewhat satisfying, but it is in the meting out of justice where humanity is served. I personally have no interest in vengeance, for this profits nothing.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote