Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 8th January 2009, 01:04 PM   #1
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default Obamathon: Inaugural Stuff

Well we are fast approaching what many are claiming to be one of the most attended presidential inaugurations in American history. 20 million is what some have estimated, will the be the number of visitors arriving to the Washington DC area. Unprecedented levels of security will be used, such as no back packs, fanny bags (stop laughing at me), chairs or bicycles will be allowed within the vicinity of the event. Bike valets will be made available. The Maryland commuter rail sold out all tickets for that day. Due to our geographic proximity to said event (~ 4 miles), we will be hosting 2 guests who are coming from Germany. I'll see if there are enough remarkable events to continue adding on to this thread.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Well we are fast approaching what many are claiming to be one of the most attended presidential inaugurations in American history. 20 million is what some have estimated, will the be the number of visitors arriving to the Washington DC area. Unprecedented levels of security will be used, such as no back packs, fanny bags (stop laughing at me), chairs or bicycles will be allowed within the vicinity of the event. Bike valets will be made available. The Maryland commuter rail sold out all tickets for that day. Due to our geographic proximity to said event (~ 4 miles), we will be hosting 2 guests who are coming from Germany. I'll see if there are enough remarkable events to continue adding on to this thread.
Sure be interesting.....
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 11:26 PM   #3
SBS
El Yanqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
Sure be interesting.....
I wish I had a chance to go down and see the inauguration, but thankfully almost every channel on TV will be covering it. Will be busy!
SBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS View Post
I wish I had a chance to go down and see the inauguration, but thankfully almost every channel on TV will be covering it. Will be busy!
Yes Hopefully John Stewart of the comedy channel is doing it
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 01:40 AM   #5
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

My neighborhood elementary school was the target for El Pais. They went to Oakland Terrace, a school my oldest son graduated from last year and my youngest son attends. El Pais went into a 5th grade class, my son's best friend's class and interviewed the kids, including my son's best friend; Matthew Kessler.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 9th January 2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:01 PM   #6
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Venga, VS, seguro que será lástima despedirse del presidente actual, ¿no? Ha dejado una estupenda herencia para el patrimonio mundial. Sólo fue des-subestimado.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 10:29 PM   #7
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
Venga, VS, seguro que será lástima despedirse del presidente actual, ¿no? Ha dejado una estupenda herencia para el patrimonio mundial. Sólo fue des-subestimado.
Si pero uno se cansa de leer esa poesia. Hay tantos volumenes de esa poesia.
Old 20th January 2009, 02:07 PM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

It was an incredible concert:
Old 20th January 2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Angie
Forero

I would have loved to attend the inauguration ceremony (or to have just spent today in Washington D.C. - the atmosphere must have been incredible). I was fortunate enough to have heard Obama speak - in person - at an event this past summer. It was an amazing experience, one I will never forget.

Regardless of your political beliefs, this is an unforgetable day.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Liam
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
My neighborhood elementary school was the target for El Pais. They went to Oakland Terrace, a school my oldest son graduated from last year and my youngest son attends. El Pais went into a 5th grade class, my son's best friend's class and interviewed the kids, including my son's best friend; Matthew Kessler.
That's cool, VS. My sister & her family live in Cascais, Portugal, and she was interviewed on Portugese TV recently at her daughters' English-language school for her opinions on Obama. I guess they wanted the "American" opinion. The thing I remember most about watching the clip is that while Portugese is allegedly similar to Spanish, I didn't understand a single word.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 03:31 AM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Incredible!