Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 26th February 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Location: El estado bello de California, que tiene una gran historia hispánica
Default Non-Geek seeks advice

Okay, now I will reveal to the world what a non-geek I am. I'm going to be in Spain for two weeks traveling very lightly, ie: sans laptop. My question is, how can I store the pictures I take once my card is full? The card holds about 275 pictures, but I take tons of pictures. Should I seek out a place to put the pictures on a CD for me so I can wipe the card clean? Or is there any way to bring along my own little flash-drive and put them on there? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.
La Vaquera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Ben
Hero Forero

To be honest you can get such huge capacity cards for so little money on amazon now that I would buy another/more cards and sort it all out when you get back. Get an 8 or more gig card and perhaps you can fit thousands of photos suddenly depending on your camera megapixels.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 03:49 PM   #3
JackMcG
El Chele

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vaquera View Post
Okay, now I will reveal to the world what a non-geek I am. I'm going to be in Spain for two weeks traveling very lightly, ie: sans laptop. My question is, how can I store the pictures I take once my card is full? The card holds about 275 pictures, but I take tons of pictures. Should I seek out a place to put the pictures on a CD for me so I can wipe the card clean? Or is there any way to bring along my own little flash-drive and put them on there? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.
I just want to say shame on you for saying "sans laptop" instead of "sin laptop"!!!!

Oh... on your question. You could buy another and bigger memory card for you camera! (or several)
JackMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Thanks Ben! That would certainly be the easiest route -- I'll check out what kind of gi-normous cards are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
I just want to say shame on you for saying "sans laptop" instead of "sin laptop"!!!!
Yes, you're right, JackMcG, what could I possibly have been thinking??!!
Old 26th February 2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Petrichor
Super Forero

Apart from buying high-capacity memory cards it might also be wise to copy at least some of the photos to a photo-sharing website like Flickr, Picasa etc. (let's say, half-way through your stay in Spain) so that you don't lose all your pictures in case your cards or baggage get misplaced or stolen.

And I suppose you'll need a card-reader for that. (Sorry, being a non-geek myself tampoco estoy muy enterado de tales cosas ).
Petrichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 06:49 PM   #6
gary
Samuri Forero

I have 10 years worth of family snaps on my iMac and I still havent hit 8GB so for a little under $15 you should be able to manage for a week - just dont lose the camera with the card in it
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 07:11 PM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
I just want to say shame on you for saying "sans laptop" instead of "sin laptop"!!!!...
That'll be a portátil then

I agree though - more memory cards and don't do what I did and accidentally lock mine while putting it in (a small slide switch on the card) then thought the camera had broken
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 07:14 PM   #8
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

WOW, gentlemen, who knew?? I had no idea that a) such high-capacity cards even existed, and b) that they could be had so cheaply. Thanks for the link, Gary.
Old 26th February 2010, 07:16 PM   #9
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
That'll be a portátil then
LOL Greytop, I'm losing my touch. I totally missed that.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:11 AM   #10
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Jusr recently, when the SD card in my camera decided it had been slid in and out enough times to split apart at the seams, I bought a 2GB SD card in the Madrid department store El Corte Inlgés, for €10. With all the photos I take for the blog, I still haven't filled it yet.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 02:26 AM   #11
El Tifón
Forero

One more tip... buy extra batteries for your camera (and charge them!). I took so many pictures on my last trip to Spain that they ran out twice during the middle of the day - this happened once in Bilbao and once in Barcelona. You'd think I'd learned my lesson after the first time!
El Tifón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 05:08 PM   #12
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Thanks for all the ideas ... I must say I've never had a battery problem, mine seems to last forever between re-charges no matter how many pictures I take. I have a 2 GB card now, but I've reached the end of it before when traveling -- I'll probably get an 8 GB card just to be safe; once I can figure out what all the "HCSD" as opposed to just plain "SD" is, not to mention the different number-classes of cards, which apparently relate to the speed at which they transfer info to the computer ... arrghhh! Why can't things just be simple?! I see from poking around online that they actually make a 32 GB card. Might be a bit of overkill ...
Old 28th February 2010, 09:26 AM   #13
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

Here is something I have learnt and I hope you being a non-geek will find helpful.
Having just 8gb cards for the camera I was surprised to find out that the PC (which is about 3 years old) could not read the information via the card reader. After some research I found it was down to a simple fact that these larger cards have a different "structure" to them thus older card readers cannot be used. All I have to do is connect up the camera via supplied cable.
Again Amazon will come in handy as they have card readers which plug into the USB for very little money.
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 11:17 AM   #14
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Thanks for all the ideas ... I must say I've never had a battery problem, mine seems to last forever between re-charges no matter how many pictures I take. I have a 2 GB card now, but I've reached the end of it before when traveling -- I'll probably get an 8 GB card just to be safe; once I can figure out what all the "HCSD" as opposed to just plain "SD" is, not to mention the different number-classes of cards, which apparently relate to the speed at which they transfer info to the computer ... arrghhh! Why can't things just be simple?! I see from poking around online that they actually make a 32 GB card. Might be a bit of overkill ...
4x8Gb will be cheaper than 1X32Gb I'm tipping as 32s are relatively new... 32Gb certainlt more useful for shooting video
Old 28th February 2010, 12:51 PM   #15
greytop
Hero Forero

There may also be a limit on what the camera can work with. RTFM

mine (Pentax) has no limits but does refer you to the official website for "compatible cards".
also it says you should format the card before use and that slower cards may cause a dely between phtos.

Last edited by greytop; 28th February 2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add bits
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 03:51 PM   #16
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Again, thanks so much for the info -- what an amazing amount of things to think about! I'll have to mull all this over. I actually came across another 2GB card while rummaging around in the horrifying jumble of my "electronics drawer" (don't ask), so I may just use the two 2 GB cards and call it a day. It isn't as though I can't simply buy another one while there, too . . .
Old 28th February 2010, 04:56 PM   #17
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
"electronics drawer" .
Oh, trust me we all have one - its called "the box of death" in our house - you would almost reather die than rummage in it - from there I can see IEC connectors, network cables, a Wacom tablet, old speakers, an infrared receiver a USB floppy drive a four way mains socket, audio cables, RF aerial leads USB leads, old cable modems....

Last edited by gary; 28th February 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: cant spaell ;-)
Old 28th February 2010, 05:09 PM   #18
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Oh, trust me we all have one - its called "the box of death" in our house - you would almost reather die than rummage in it - from there I can see IEC connectors, network cables, a Wacom tablet, old speakers, an infrared receiver a USB floppy drive a four way mains socket, audio cables, RF aerial leads USB leads, old cable modems....

Valves?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 05:42 PM   #19
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post

Valves?
No old brass here!!
Old 28th February 2010, 05:45 PM   #20
ValenciaSon