Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 17th June 2008, 11:57 AM   #21
thindi
Forero

@edith

that paella looks fantastic ! where is that place? please dont say valencia...
thindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 12:02 PM   #22
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindi View Post
@edith

that paella looks fantastic ! where is that place? please dont say valencia...
No... it was a hotel on Tenerife... the recipe may not have been 100% authentic, but all the ingredients he used were quite healthy.

The meat dish and salad are from a restaurant frequented by Spaniards rather than guiris (also on Tenerife) and the salad was not swimming in oil. From what I remember, the dressing consisted of lime juice and only a few drops of virgen extra. The food wasn't too salty, either (I'm not used to using much salt, so I would notice this right away).

P.s.: the red sauce is mojo picón, a Canary Islands specialty, with bell pepper, olive oil, a little bit of chili, and LOTS of garlic in it! Great to dip your bread in, but it's usually eaten with papas arrugadas (another local specialty). Pure, authentic and simple - I could live on that stuff if it weren't for the fact that many people in bland boring Holland don't like garlic breath, though it's considered OK to reek of cigarette smoke.

Last edited by Edith; 17th June 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added info on mojo picón
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 12:38 PM   #23
thindi
Forero

i have tried that salsa once before. i liked it, anything that has strong flavors and spices i like. tenerife? a bit far for me.

i had to laugh one time... my son ordered tuna bocadilla and literally oil was dripping from it. this was out of the ordinary, but obviously the ¨chef¨ thought the oil was wanted.

my favorite spanish meat... cochinillo. yum... dont worry i dont eat it but about every 18 months.

a question... in my little town they refer to me as an extranjera. should i say im a guiri. is that better? the people here have some prejudices against the immigrants. most dont recognise english when they hear it spoken and think that i am a rumanian.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:57 PM   #24
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
a question... in my little town they refer to me as an extranjera. should i say im a guiri. is that better? the people here have some prejudices against the immigrants. most dont recognise english when they hear it spoken and think that i am a rumanian.
This must be 'España profunda' indeed. I would just say 'soy de Gran Bretaña' if I were you!
Old 17th June 2008, 01:07 PM   #25
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
ah yes i do! and burritos and enchilatas.
Glad to hear!

Quote:
we have vineyards were we live and i pick the leaves to make stuffed grape leaves. it may be harder to find what i like, but a person just needs to search and improvise.
When vine leaves aren't available, try using the green leaves from a tight cabbage for dolmades, it works quite well, we had some yesterday.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 01:15 PM   #26
zuri

Quote:
i have tried that salsa once before. i liked it, anything that has strong flavors and spices i like. tenerife? a bit far for me.
Mojo it easy to make at home, its great stuffed into chicken breasts wrapped in Serrano Ham and roasted.

Quote:
a question... in my little town they refer to me as an extranjera. should i say im a guiri.
Guiri is mostly used as either a humourous way to describe you/them or an insulting way to describe you/them.

Its was originally used as an insult, but manly now its just a funny way to stereotype people.

If somebody has referred to you as a Extranjero it`s a neutral description without prejudice and shows respect when used in the correct context.

Guiri doesn`t tend to show respect from the person saying it though, unless there making friendly jokes.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:54 PM   #27
Elvis
Tio Pepe

I've found a few varying descriptive notes on guiri:
Quote:
Guiri: adj. Iberia lines tourist, fair-skinned, usually doesn't understand Spanish language or culture, source of amusement and annoyance to locals ...
Quote:
I'd like to revamp that quote: "it ain't easy bein' guiri". Sure, Spaniards will say they like foreigners, that they depend on them for tourism, ...
Quote:
"Guiri" is a Spanish expression applied to those laughable foreigners who stand out like a sore thumb in Spain. ...
Quote:
Tengo muchos amigos en Madrid pero tengo un problema - casi todos son guiris y no he venido aquí para conocer mas guiris! ...
Quote:
Barcelona » housing » rooms wanted » chico ingles busca un habitacion (no es un guiri!
Note on topic: Anyone looking for a change from cream on their postre should try mascarpone!
Old 17th June 2008, 02:04 PM   #28
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

My father is going to Valencia in September. He is a diabetic and wonders if there is any diabetic horchata and other foods in Spain modified for diabetics.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 02:31 PM   #29
thindi
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
This must be 'España profunda' indeed. I would just say 'soy de Gran Bretaña' if I were you!
i would love to be able to say that. but my ancesters from england went to the US like 400 years ago. my grandmother immigrated from ireland, does that count? sometimes i wonder who hates americans and since this is a small town i need to have concern for our 7 yr old.

funny what i have found is that the old men are the nicest and friendliest people. the older women usually ¨dismiss¨ me when they realise im not spanish. but i have found a lot of the mothers ( from the school) to be very nice and patient with me. that helps mucho !

so if i call myself a guiri, i will be poking fun at myself and people will think it a joke. or at least that i have a sense of humour. i wouldnt want to insult anyone though. i have to much sensitivity to this situation to do that.
Old 17th June 2008, 02:33 PM   #30
thindi
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri View Post
Mojo it easy to make at home, its great stuffed into chicken breasts wrapped in Serrano Ham and roasted.
that sounds wonderful ! ill have to google this!

Last edited by eldeano; 17th June 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Tidied quote
Old 17th June 2008, 06:23 PM   #31
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
thindi wrote: i would love to be able to say that. but my ancesters from england went to the US like 400 years ago.my grandmother immigrated from ireland, does that count?
No, none of that is possible because:-

A. 400 years ago, America wasn't the USA!*

B. Your grandmother emigrated from Ireland and immigrated to America.

* The first Declaration of Independence was drawn up in 1776.
Old 17th June 2008, 06:31 PM   #32
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
No, none of that is possible because:-

A. 400 years ago, America wasn't the USA!*

* The first Declaration of Independence was drawn up in 1776.
The land mass in question did exist over 400 years ago and yes we showed the redcoats the exit in 1776.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 06:47 PM   #33
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
i would love to be able to say that. but my ancesters from england went to the US like 400 years ago. my grandmother immigrated from ireland, does that count?
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't check your profile! Somehow I assumed that you were from the UK and that you were of Indian/Hindu descent (> your moniker!), which may have confused the Spanish locals because they are not familiar with multicultural Britain. Me and my imagination! Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
sometimes i wonder who hates americans and since this is a small town i need to have concern for our 7 yr old.
Xenophobia is so stupid - and why is it that people often hate those nationalities they know so little about?
Old 17th June 2008, 06:53 PM   #34
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri View Post
Oooh that sounds yummy. But I would certainly drain off all the fat before serving!
Old 17th June 2008, 06:57 PM   #35
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
The land mass in question did exist over 400 years ago and yes we showed the redcoats the exit in 1776.
Well we fired our guns, but the British kept a' comin, but there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago, they ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em, on down the Mississipi to the Gulf of Mexico.
And other myths about lighting a 'gater full of gunpowder.

My thanks for that go to Lonnie Donegan for some of my teenage history learning, via the words to the songs he recorded.

NB: But it wasn't the USA until 1776, not 400 years old until 2176, if my arithmetic still serves me, still a while to go yet.
Old 17th June 2008, 07:00 PM   #36
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
It might be right but it sounds horrible. Wouldn't we normally say 'your grandmother emigrated from Ireland to America'?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 07:07 PM   #37
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
It might be right but it sounds horrible. Wouldn't we normally say 'your grandmother emigrated from Ireland to America'?
We might, but thindi wrote: "my grandmother immigrated from ireland."

I suppose I should have written, emigrated from or immigrated to, instead of and.

Me da igual.
Old 17th June 2008, 07:08 PM   #38
Edith
Pangolin Forero

OK, let's discuss the Melungeons and how their ancestors got to North America.
Old 17th June 2008, 07:12 PM   #39
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Some more great Spanish food...

http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Gast...a/?Language=en
Old 17th June 2008, 07:33 PM   #40
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
My father is going to Valencia in September. He is a diabetic and wonders if there is any diabetic horchata and other foods in Spain modified for diabetics.
The supermarkets have a range of diabetic or diet food (including horchata) and there are many health food stores around that also supply dietary foodstuffs. Larger farmacias may also be helpful.
A bit more difficult in cafes although they all have "light " or "zero" soft drinks. The bottled water makes a great alternative - some of the con gas products are very tasty.
There is a Spanish diabetic association I think but I don't know the name of it. Get Googling as they may be able to offer you advice, or PM me and I'll ask around.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote