Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 28th August 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Della
Forero

Question Mucho? Mucha? Muchos? Muchas?

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with what I think should be really simple.... I'm struggling with when to use mucho, mucha, muchos or muchas in certain sayings e.g. is it mucho gracias? muchas gracias? muchos espanol? muchas espanol? etc is there a gender rule at all on such examples? Help!! Thanks in advance. Della.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with what I think should be really simple.... I'm struggling with when to use mucho, mucha, muchos or muchas in certain sayings e.g. is it mucho gracias? muchas gracias? muchos espanol? muchas espanol? etc is there a gender rule at all on such examples? Help!! Thanks in advance. Della.
Hi Della! Yep; mucho/mucha/muchos/muchas are words that modify nouns. As such, they must agree in gender AND number with the noun they modify.

We can look at some examples:

gracias (feminine, plural) needs feminine, plural muchas = muchas gracias

libros (masculine, plural) needs masculine plural form muchos = muchos libros

carácter (masculine, singular) would take masculine singular mucho = mucho carácter

personalidad (feminine singular) would take the singular feminine mucha personalidad.

And so on and so forth!

So, in a nutshell: they must always agree in gender AND number with the word they are modifying. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Perro Callejero; 28th August 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Perro Callejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Della
Forero

Muchas gracias Perro Callejero! I just gotta keep up with those not-so-obvious genders now!!!
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 09:26 AM   #4
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
libros (masculine, plural) needs masculine plural form muchos = muchos libros
I've just got back from Andalucia where they don't seem to be aware of the concept of the letter 's' when talking
Un libro
Mucho libro
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
I've just got back from Andalucia where they don't seem to be aware of the concept of the letter 's' when talking
Un libro
Mucho libro
So true!
De to' mo', es bueno poner enfasís en el fin de la' palabra' cuando está' hablando con la' persona' That's how my conversation teacher this summer would have said it.

Translation:
De todos modos, es bueno escribir el fin de las palabras cuando estás hablando con las personas.
Old 10th September 2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Moho
Soya, LA Leche!

So when used as an adjective we have mucho/muchos/mucha/muchas. When used as an adverb it is always "mucho", right?

e.g. "Me gusta mucho la cerveza"

is this way because mucho is not associated with la cerveza, but rather with the verb.
If you tell me I have got that wrong I am going to eat SPAM in public and post the pictures on this forum.

Now here's a thing madam. When you have an adjective that can also be used as an adverb, it's rather a nuisance that some adverbs seem to be the same as the masculine singular adjective, and others are the same as the feminine singular adjective with "mente" on the end.

e.g.
adjective --> adverb
mucho/muchos/mucha/muchas --> mucho (similar for todo, poco)
rápido/rápidos/rápida/rápidas --> rápidamente

How is a boy supposed to know which form is correct when trying to guess the adverb from the adjective? Can't something be DONE about this?
Moho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho View Post

How is a boy supposed to know which form is correct when trying to guess the adverb from the adjective? Can't something be DONE about this?
And of course English is SO precise It wouldn't be fun if it was easy
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
So true!
De to' mo', es bueno poner enfasís en el fin de la' palabra' cuando está' hablando con la' persona' That's how my conversation teacher this summer would have said it.

...... or even perhaps, depending on where in Andalucía, "¡De to' mo',e bono ponel enfasí en el fín d' la parabra cando e´ta harbando con l´persona chacho!" ?
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho View Post
So when used as an adjective we have mucho/muchos/mucha/muchas. When used as an adverb it is always "mucho", right?

e.g. "Me gusta mucho la cerveza"

is this way because mucho is not associated with la cerveza, but rather with the verb.
If you tell me I have got that wrong I am going to eat SPAM in public and post the pictures on this forum.
That's right Moho! I forgot about that instance. Yes, you are correct in saying that "mucho" is the proper form to use in the sentence "Me gusta mucho la cerveza,".

We know this because in that sentence, "mucho" is not describing how much beer there is, but rather answers the question "HOW does the beer please me?" In other words, "mucho" is modifying the verb gustar (so it's an adverb) rather than the noun cerveza (in which case it would be an adjective). Since verbs do not have gender, the "default" masculine singular form is used.

It gets easier if you just think of it in terms of asking what the word is describing. Is it describing the quantity of beer, or how it pleases you? This will answer whether it is modifying a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb. If it is modifying the noun, it MUST be an adjective and if it modifies any of the others it MUST be an adverb!

Whew! I'm worn out!