Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 5th February 2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Beckett
Mega Forero

Default Google vs. Micoo (Microsoft Yahoo)

What are your opinions about this proposed buyout of Yahoo by Microsoft? Personally, I think competition is good, but I'm not sure Microsoft has the right DNA to become a strong and worthy alternative to Google. Microsoft has had more than a decade with MSN and has always been an also-ran in the Internet search business. I'm not convinced they can change that by solely buying Yahoo.

What are your thoughts?
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
gary
Samuri Forero

Naaah...

Its how microsoft always operate - they spend millions on development then buy.

If they were ever going to beat Google why, with all their resources didn't they actually get on and do it?

They are a software company. They make money by releasing new versions of their software and making previous versions obsolete. Often the new version is worse than the old version - many people are downgrading from Vista to XP (which offers a similar level of security when SP3 is applied)

Nothing in their history suggests that they will prevail here...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:25 PM   #3
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Microsoft will never beat Google on search, but a purchase of Yahoo! will claim all of Yahoo's IM and mail users, allowing them all (500 million combined) to be sucked into Windows Live!

With 500,000,000 vs Googles 51,000,000, Microsoft will be well placed to fend off Google Apps and keep control of its desktop software market as it slowly moves online.

Search has nothing to do with it. Microsoft is securing it's future in other areas.

Last edited by deecree; 6th February 2008 at 03:46 PM.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:28 PM   #4
gary
Samuri Forero

i reckon Google will eventually be a phone company - think of it, a free iPhone for everyone if you accept an ad every time you take a call....
gary is offline   Reply With Quote