Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > Cuisine from Spain Podcast Comments

Notices

Old 26th September 2006, 07:16 AM   #1
polostar
bioburt

Default food for a large group

So, this weekend I have a big party with a bunch of mormon missionaries who went to spain. We're supposed to bring some refreshments/appetizers to share. There's probably going to be about 100 people or so. I'm a very good cook and would like to make something that really stands out, but doesn't cost a ton (I'm a poor college student) and uses ingredients that I can find in Utah (No spanish chorizo here). Any suggestions or recipes would be great. I'll be sure to tell all of the people there about notes in spanish because they all have a deep love for spain since they have lived there for 2 years, many through 11 de marzo.
polostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Marina
NFS Admin

I hope that you will not be the only person to feed them all!!

I would go for a few tortillas de patata for two reasons: you can make them a in advanced (early that morning) as they are as nice cold as hot and also all you need is cheap ingredients: potatoes, onions, eggs salt and vegetable oil.
However if you've never done one I will try in advanced as the turning bit can be a bit tricky

You can listen to the Tortilla cast and follow the same instructions but without the pepper and courgette.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
polostar
bioburt

Default the tortilla

I've made tons of tortillas, and that's what came to mind first, but everyone will probably think to bring one of those. So far I've come up with your pisto or small tartas de manzana. You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for napolitanas or palmeras would you. I've been looking for spanish pastry recipes online but haven't been able to find hardly any.

Thanks for the suggestions
polostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 03:47 PM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by polostar View Post
I've been looking for spanish pastry recipes online but haven't been able to find hardly any.

Thanks for the suggestions
I've found www.arecetas.com to be a ueseful source of Spanish dishes, and they have a section for puddings.

www.recipe.com is also useful if you want a food biased search engine but does have pop-ups

Buen provecho
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 10:19 PM   #5
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

I wouldn't consider cigars a food for the whole family or anybody for that matter. It's a carcinogen to users and those around it.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 07:23 AM   #6
greytop
Hero Forero

¿Qué?
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 07:35 AM   #7
saiguanas
Super Forero

Just my personal experience. If they've been away from home for 2 years, no matter how much they liked or didn't like spanish food while they were there, they are probably looking forward to gorging themselves with as much home-style food as possible, atleast for the first week back.

Anytime I'm away from home for more than a month, I have to eat mexican food until I can't stand it anymore.

Besides, no matter how good of a cook you are, you probably won't be able to match anything that they grew fond of in Spain, especially since you will be feeding it to someone that probably just had the real thing for lunch in Madrid.

Give 'em what they miss and are probably craving. I'll guarantee you that none of them will be sitting on the plane saying "I can't wait to get back to Utah and eat some good old Paella".

Last edited by saiguanas; 1st May 2008 at 07:38 AM.
saiguanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 03:44 PM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top

2nd October 2006 to 30th April 2008 - must be the longest gap between posts.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote