Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,421
Default Seriously good music service.

A friend put me onto Spotify yesterday, and I have to say it is the best music app I've ever found on the web. You install the application on your computer (pc or mac only) and then basically have access to every album on the planet for free through a beautiful interface (the free version shows you very occasional ads but it really isn't a problem at all).

It's legal too, but only available in certain EU countries including Spain, Gernmany, France, UK and others. In theory I think you need to be invited to join (this is simply to slow the rate at which people join up - once you join you can invite 10 others anyway), but it seems that you can just sign up through the sign up page here without the invite (and in the UK I think it's totally open):

https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/

Let me know what you think (or if you are doubtful read more on Techcrunch first). Normally these things annoy me, but this is seriously seriously good. Haven't touched iTunes since downlaoding it. You can't keep the music e.g. to put on your iPod, but if you work at the computer a lot, of have it hooked up to your music system, this is simply incredible.

I wanted to listen to some old Dylan albums (Bob Dylan that is) that I wouldn't normally buy, and now I have ALL of them at my fingertips without being forced to listen to them as part of random selections a la Pandora etc.

Last edited by Ben; 2nd March 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco
 
gastephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gales
Posts: 1,932
Default

A colleague installed that on his machine a few weeks ago, and I have to say it did look pretty damn good. When I enquired about its coverage of less mainstream material, we did a test search for Gotan Project. Zero results. Needless to say I ventured no further.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,421
Default

It's got just about all the songs I can think of! Here's a random selection of lovely tunes (see screenshot). And if you have Spotify you can get that playlist via this link:

http://open.spotify.com/user/spanish...vMLF1PZZDiXSpz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-capture.jpg (20.4 KB, 14 views)
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:27 PM   #4
guapo
Mega Forero
 
guapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London
Posts: 364
Default

I think as Ben suggests, where this scores is as an alternative to the radio when working from home. I don't think it will replace your mp3 player just yet but it is good to finally see some legal alternatives to iTunes and it works on a mac.

Talking of less mainstream music, it is somewhat disturbing to see the top 3 tracks in Spain are:
1. Viva la vida, Coldplay
2. Womanizer, Britney Spears
3. Clocks, Coldplay

El Canto Del Loco does get in at number 5.
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:15 PM   #5
marcus
Forero
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Default

www.deezer.com is not a bad one either and you dont have to download anything

update: well after trying spotify for 10 minutes it seems much better than deezer!

Last edited by marcus; 2nd March 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: change of mind
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Acosta
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
A friend put me onto Spotify yesterday, and I have to say it is the best music app I've ever found on the web. You install the application on your computer (pc or mac only) and then basically have access to every album on the planet for free through a beautiful interface (the free version shows you very occasional ads but it really isn't a problem at all).

It's legal too, but only available in certain EU countries including Spain, Gernmany, France, UK and others. In theory I think you need to be invited to join (this is simply to slow the rate at which people join up - once you join you can invite 10 others anyway), but it seems that you can just sign up through the sign up page here without the invite (and in the UK I think it's totally open):

https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/

Let me know what you think (or if you are doubtful read more on Techcrunch first). Normally these things annoy me, but this is seriously seriously good. Haven't touched iTunes since downlaoding it. You can't keep the music e.g. to put on your iPod, but if you work at the computer a lot, of have it hooked up to your music system, this is simply incredible.

I wanted to listen to some old Dylan albums (Bob Dylan that is) that I wouldn't normally buy, and now I have ALL of them at my fingertips without being forced to listen to them as part of random selections a la Pandora etc.
sounds great, i signed up to get the invite and it told me I was on the waiting list.

Anyone care to send me an invite, if so PM me and I will send my email address.

Course perhaps there are restrictions in the US. But this sounds exactly what I want.

BTW, I do like iTunes only if all of it were DRM free.

Thanks Ben.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Jan
Forero
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lanjaron Granada
Posts: 16
Default Invite Needed

Same here.Iam in Mexico right now and it won't let me
sign up.
Very grateful for an invite Ben
Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Kralizec
Ací n'hi han dracs
 
Kralizec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: P.Cat.
Posts: 209
Default

I've been using Spotify since they were testing the closed beta.
In the free version, I don't mind hearing most ads but the Telepizza one (Spanish users only, I think) is too long and extremely annoying.
The music selection is nice but there are still lots of missing groups and albums.

Its grade of success here will depend mainly on the size of their music database, since downloading MP3s through ED2K/Torrent isn't just allowed in Spain, but perfectly legal even if you don't own the originals.

Last edited by Kralizec; 3rd March 2009 at 05:46 AM.
Kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
sounds great, i signed up to get the invite and it told me I was on the waiting list.

Anyone care to send me an invite, if so PM me and I will send my email address.

Course perhaps there are restrictions in the US. But this sounds exactly what I want.

BTW, I do like iTunes only if all of it were DRM free.

Thanks Ben.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Same here.Iam in Mexico right now and it won't let me
sign up.
Very grateful for an invite Ben
Jan
Ths link:

https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/

Plus a Spain postcode for example 28014 should do it, if not, PM me an email address and I'll invite you. Think the states may be hard though without a proxy server...
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:15 AM   #10
greytop
Hero Forero
 
greytop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pego, Spain
Posts: 3,363
Default

I signed up following Ben's link. When I tried to invite someone it says I have zero invites left. Maybe you have to subscibe to get invites?

Meanwhile in the FAQs
Can I invite my friends to try Spotify?We limit the pace at which we hand out invites to make sure the new users do not impact the service. You will get invites to share as soon as possible.

Last edited by greytop; 3rd March 2009 at 08:33 AM.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
I signed up following Ben's link. When I tried to invite someone it says I have zero invites left. Maybe you have to subscibe to get invites?

Meanwhile in the FAQs
Can I invite my friends to try Spotify?We limit the pace at which we hand out invites to make sure the new users do not impact the service. You will get invites to share as soon as possible.
You have to wait 24 hours (ish) then you get 10 invites. But with that link, you don't need them anyway!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:56 PM   #12
stella
Forero Senior
 
stella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Durham
Posts: 61
Default

I've just joined up without any trouble. I'd seen something like this mentioned a few weeks ago, but instantly dismissed it at the time due to the adverts. However, when I realised how much I spend on music (and films and books) - most of which I rarely listen to - and how much space on my computer it takes up, I thought I'd give it a try, but I couldn't find the recommendation again. So, thanks.

I'm listening to Luis Miguel now and haven't heard any adverts so far.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 09:57 PM   #13
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco
 
gastephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gales
Posts: 1,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
I'm listening to Luis Miguel now and haven't heard any adverts so far.
As far as I know, there are adverts every 30 minutes with the free account, which doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

There may be some concerns regarding security though for anyone signing up for a paying account:

http://www.nme.com/news/spotify/43228
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:11 PM   #14
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco
 
gastephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gales
Posts: 1,932
Default Muziic

Here's another one:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...-your-desktop/
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
As far as I know, there are adverts every 30 minutes with the free account, which doesn't seem at all unreasonable.
The ads are starting to annoy me! It's a bit like the trashy ones on Spanish radio - the solution is simple of course, pay the 10 euros a month - I'm getting tempted. They are very clever, if you try to mute your system audio during an ad, the ad pauses until you put the volume back up!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.