Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 6th May 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default Server for Macs at Home

I can't afford Xserve. Any thoughts on the HP MediaSmart servers? Can anyone recommend some other server suitable for Mac at home?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:53 AM   #2
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I can't afford Xserve. Any thoughts on the HP MediaSmart servers? Can anyone recommend some other server suitable for Mac at home?
Why do you need a dedicated server?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero

We use a 1Tb drive plugged in to the wireless router via USB2 to hold all the media and every mac in the house can access it - all 5 of them (4 over wifi but the 12 year old iMac Classic needs an umbilical)

Last edited by gary; 6th May 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:32 PM   #4
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
We use a 1Tb drive plugged in to the wireless router via USB2 to hold all the media and every mac in the house can access it - all 5 of them (4 over wifi but the 12 year old iMac Classic needs an umbilical)
I need it for similar reasons. It would allow me to rely on it to rather then the memory of our Macs and our Apple TV as well as our documents. If our Macs need to be serviced and have it's memory wiped, then all our important data is protected from such an event.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 6th May 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:10 PM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

You dont need a dedicated server to do that - a massive HD will suffice - the one w have can be daisychained by firewire to allow for expansion - I also have a Dot Mac account for the family so we get 20GB each for super critical stuff (for the burnt to the ground scenario!!) The Mobile Me thing is great for a number of reasons,
a)offsite storage
b)diary synching across all machines
c)A big one - address book synching - put all your stuff back on your iphone when you replace it cos lost it or drop it down the toilet
BUT
the best thing of all - you get an email address, nothing in itself (i dont use the address) but you can set it up to show in Mail as an account and build a file hierarchy into which you can drag and drop emails sent to all/any of your other accounts received by mail, to use as an archive - this is brilliant for wiping HD cos theres no messing saving to disc - you just type in the acc details and Boom! there it is!

We have an Airport Extreme wireless router... and 2 Airport Express bridged as signal repeaters placed round the house ( and garden - we let the pensioners next door piggyback on our wifi too)

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/...vesharing.html

But

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/
This would do the job and requires no external HD - wifi router and up to 1TB in a single enclosure $299 for 500Gb $499 for for 1TB - take someone in University level education wirth his student ID to your new Apple Store and watch 12% roll off those prices before your verty eyes!!
- 1 WAN and 3x LAN ethernet , USB 2 - shares a printer between all your macs really well, plus 802.11n dual band wireless. Most of all its designed to work with the kit you have (and of course works with PCs).
In the UK these are £229 and £375 respectively - a Mediasmart Server is £320 - £360 - its a no brainer

Last edited by gary; 6th May 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:59 PM   #6
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
You dont need a dedicated server to do that - a massive HD will suffice - the one w have can be daisychained by firewire to allow for expansion - I also have a Dot Mac account for the family so we get 20GB each for super critical stuff (for the burnt to the ground scenario!!) The Mobile Me thing is great for a number of reasons,
a)offsite storage
b)diary synching across all machines
c)A big one - address book synching - put all your stuff back on your iphone when you replace it cos lost it or drop it down the toilet
BUT
the best thing of all - you get an email address, nothing in itself (i dont use the address) but you can set it up to show in Mail as an account and build a file hierarchy into which you can drag and drop emails sent to all/any of your other accounts received by mail, to use as an archive - this is brilliant for wiping HD cos theres no messing saving to disc - you just type in the acc details and Boom! there it is!

We have an Airport Extreme wireless router... and 2 Airport Express bridged as signal repeaters placed round the house ( and garden - we let the pensioners next door piggyback on our wifi too)

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/...vesharing.html

But

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/
This would do the job and requires no external HD - wifi router and up to 1TB in a single enclosure $299 for 500Gb $499 for for 1TB - take someone in University level education wirth his student ID to your new Apple Store and watch 12% roll off those prices before your verty eyes!!
- 1 WAN and 3x LAN ethernet , USB 2 - shares a printer between all your macs really well, plus 802.11n dual band wireless. Most of all its designed to work with the kit you have (and of course works with PCs).
In the UK these are £229 and £375 respectively - a Mediasmart Server is £320 - £360 - its a no brainer
My only remaining question is, do you make house calls, doctor?
Old 6th May 2009, 02:17 PM   #7
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
My only remaining question is, do you make house calls, doctor?
No but I have a son that will if you pay the airfare!!

(you dont think I have a clue how all this threads together but it cant be any harder than doing it with non Apple Kit - can it?)
Old 6th May 2009, 03:27 PM   #8
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

I had, and will have again, a dedicated file server, rather than just a network accessible disk.

What I plan to do in the future is:

Buy a about-$300 computer (2.3ghz x2, 2gb RAM)
Buy four 1TB hdds

Then, via the magic of RAID, using those drives set up two continuous 2TB of which one will be visible and the other will be an on the fly backup. Should a disk fail, I´d swap it out and everything would continue as normal.

The benefits of a dedicated server is that its a place to hold multiple drives, allows you to perform RAID magic, and, should you desire at some point in the future, allows you to easily setup a simple web server, or mail server or anything else. Its also a good place to have programs running so you can turn off your main PC(s).
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 07:04 PM   #9
ForexGuides
Novato

Default Server for Macs at Home

Modded Mac Mini with Core Duo 2,16 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB hard drive running Mac OS X Server for home file, printer, file sharing and domestic e-mail and Web serving. Also runs Trixbox under Parallels Desktop for home telephony.
ForexGuides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Nice set up
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:03 PM   #11
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForexGuides View Post

Modded Mac Mini with Core Duo 2,16 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB hard drive running Mac OS X Server for home file, printer, file sharing and domestic e-mail and Web serving. Also runs Trixbox under Parallels Desktop for home telephony.
I presume thats the heat sink on top...
Old 6th May 2009, 09:03 PM   #12
guapo
Mega Forero

I use one of these http://www.readynas.com/ with a couple of mirrored drives to store all my important work stuff. It is plugged into my wireless router and plays nicely with Macs, PC's and Linux. It is actually a small linux server under the cover so, if you know what you are doing, you can install services directly onto the box.
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 12:19 AM   #13
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
I presume thats the heat sink on top...
I think it's a heavily used old-fashioned handkerchief.

It's official >> MACS GIVE YOU SWINE FLU!
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 09:14 AM   #14
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
I think it's a heavily used old-fashioned handkerchief.

It's official >> MACS GIVE YOU SWINE FLU!

Its okay Ive got the oinkment

- I rang the swineflu hotline but the no one was there all I heard was crackling
Old 18th November 2009, 03:52 PM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Paging Gary (and others in the know)

So before I purchase Time Capsule, could I place all or most of our applications on it and allow both Macs to access them? Would I have purchase additional licenses to place applications on it, to be accessible to both Macs? Is Time Capsule strictly just for backing up or can it be used as the source of content (and maybe applications) for all Macs at home?
Old 18th November 2009, 08:02 PM   #16
gary
Samuri Forero

Running apps over the network has the potential to be a ball ache - video especially - If you do have legal versions of the apps you wish to run, technically I suppose you would need extra licence if you wished to run them on two machines at the same time, I cant see why you would do that, so probably not. Even if the app phones home (which they usually donr) the licence will probably be tied to your IP address not the MAC number of your individual machine (Even non Mac hardware has a MAC number - it is the individual identifier if each separate piece of hardware) In the event Apple knocks at your door tthe most youre liable to get is a "Tut tut, please stop that"