Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 9th June 2009, 03:23 AM   #1
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default WWDC

So Gary, what will be your strategy for getting the new iPhone? Which one are you getting? Those Mac Books look so BEAUTIFUL! Faster and cheaper too. Has anyone seen the keynote speech?Snow Leopard gets released in September for $29! $100 cheaper then Leopard!

iPhone 3G S available June 19 in the US, UK, Spain and a few other European countries.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 9th June 2009 at 04:41 AM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
gary
Samuri Forero

Well, I have 7 months to run on my current 16GB iPhone out of an an 18 month contract so I am expecting that my carrier O2 will offer me an early upgrade if I sign up for 2 years more. Either that or I'll get an automatic upgrade free of charge replacing my current iPhone with a new model around Christmas time.
The CutnPaste, MMS and thethering capabilities are available with the software upgrade so the only thing there wont be wil be a digital compass and video, neither of which are urgent requirements on my phone at this moment.
Obviously I would like the top of the range model (no I dont need it, I want it), but it depends on what the premium is to upgrade, usually you can pay a lump sum or take on a more expensive contract to effect this.
Will definitely go to the 13" aluminium form factor when I change my MacBook, I always liked that size anyway. Still torn between the Pro and the Air, though. Dunno.
No doubt my in house Mac Guru, Michael, will make me shell out the £20 or so for Snow Leopard when it comes out...
At any given time we have an iMac, 2 15" MacBook Pros, A MacBook and a legacy iMac (the bubble one) in the house so she who must be adored will doubtless insist that something needs to go before we get new.

Incidentally, re resale value - recently Mikey held his laptop bethe screen and it cracked rendering the screen completely inoperable. The machine was replaced on our household insurance and the old "broken" unit was returned to us. It worked fine plugged in to the TV or another external monitor. He put it on Ebay and got £650 for it, Yes, thats over $900, for a broken one. So in the end he got a brand new MacBook ans a wad of money to go on holiday with!

Anyone sold a working PC Laptop @ 2 years old for more than £50 recently...?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

So I was going to buy Leopard with the bundle and get a Time Capsule My iMac currently runs on Tiger still (sigh!). But now that Snow Leopard will be available for $100 less, I think I'll wait until September for Time Capsule as well. Pity it can't run on Tiger. At the current time, our household consists of the 24"iMac, my son's Mac Mini and his recently purchased iPod Touch, my other son's iPod Nano, my better half and my iPhones and our Apple TV. Always room for more, thus Time Capsule and..
Old 9th June 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
But now that Snow Leopard will be available for $100 less.....
Err - think $29 is the upgrade price from Leopard...

Quote:
Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard when it’s available and follow the simple installation instructions.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Last edited by gary; 9th June 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 9th June 2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

Think I'll be getting a 13" Macbook Pro. I ordered a 15 inch one 6 weeks ago, but it had a faulty camera so I sent it back and haven't got a new one yet, thank goodness!

Now I'm debating between the 13" new MBP (with drive upgraded to 500 gb) or the highest spec 15" one. The 13" one is more portable (same as my current Macbook which has a form factor I really love) and will save us 600 euros so I think it's a no-brainer.

Only thing is slightly slower processer speed than the 15", but I imagine in most apps that won't be noticeable.... and can always be compensated for by doubling the ram at a later stage.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 02:02 PM   #6
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Only thing is slightly slower processer speed than the 15", but I imagine in most apps that won't be noticeable.... and can always be compensated for by doubling the ram at a later stage.
I reckon only thing it makes a gnats difference (apart from boot time which hardly matters) in is rendering large video files (waaay bigger than the ones you probably deal with)
Old 10th June 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

More nails added it seems, to the Microsoft coffin with Apple's aggressive pricing and engineering I know MS has plenty of wiggle room and padding but what do you all think?
Old 10th June 2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I reckon only thing it makes a gnats difference (apart from boot time which hardly matters) in is rendering large video files (waaay bigger than the ones you probably deal with)
Agree, and 3D graphics I suspect, which I'm not using either

Quote:
More nails added it seems, to the Microsoft coffin with Apple's aggressive pricing and engineering I know MS has plenty of wiggle room and padding but what do you all think?
Definitely. You get SO much more for your money with a Macbook Pro - windows machines with comparable specs cost more now, I'm sure... not how it used to be!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:56 PM   #9
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Its the dedicated stores in the malls that are screwing MS. In the old days at a major outlet the salesmen pushed the models with the higher markup wheic were never the macs. Now they have solved compatibility 99.99% there actually is no comparrison the best Eindows laptops are Macs

Now with the $100 iphone its a great present for junior - and hes happy cos at a glance it is the same as the $400 version to look at, now with the interface with 3rd party hardware and full integration with Exchange its going to take some stopping... There has been nothing new in the PC zone for years, Vista it is universally agreed sucks and W7 is just a rehash of the tired old OS with a shedload of glitter and sparkle to make it look like a mac!!

If you laid 2 of anything in in the same price bracket front of a kid he would, knowing othing about performance, pick the mac every time cos it liiks cooler. Same is probably true if he was spending his own money and the PCwas $200 cheaper - and THATs the magic - looking to the future not trying to hang on to the past.
Old 29th August 2009, 02:11 PM   #10
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Looks like Snow Leopard was released earlier than promised, yesterday. I'll be buying the family version to day for my son's Mac Mini and my iMac. Can't wait to sample the 64-bit computing.
Old 30th August 2009, 03:03 PM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

The differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard appear subtle initially. Images appear slightly crisper and brighter. Applications perform faster. The Quicktime viewer is all new and really slick.The only hitch I encountered so far, was that it will only run the latest version of Parallels, being version 4.0. That's because even though Snow Leopard is supposed to run applications written for earlier OS versions,somehow it can't run older versions of Parallel due to the 64-bit vs. 32 bit difference between Snow Leopard and previous OSs. I've yet to explore all the features and functionality.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:28 PM   #12
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
The only hitch I encountered so far, was that it will only run the latest version of Parallels, being version 4.0. That's because even though Snow Leopard is supposed to run applications written for earlier OS versions,somehow it can't run older versions of Parallel due to the 64-bit vs. 32 bit difference between Snow Leopard and previous OSs. I've yet to explore all the features and functionality.
So are you running 64-bit? I thought that Parallels 4.0 worked ok in 32-bit mode (good table here).
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 08:56 PM   #13
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
So are you running 64-bit? I thought that Parallels 4.0 worked ok in 32-bit mode (good table here).
The limiting factor is Snow Leopard, as it won't run older versions of parallels. I'm told it's due to the 64-bit, 32-bit difference.