Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 6th July 2010, 09:03 PM   #1
mybestbuds
Forero

Default POR QUE?

Tengo una problema!

Puedo leer bien en espanol, pero no puedo hablo en espanol. No puedo poner las palabras juntos! Es muy dificil para mi!

Any tips? What are some good tips to follow in order to start putting words together and not just memorizing vocabulary?
mybestbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Practise and speak as much as you can. It's as simple as that. Practise and more practise. If you have no one to practise with, speak to yourself. Do it alone so no one thinks you-re mad.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Uriel
Mega Forero

Try reading Spanish-language news online. Keep a dictionary open in the next tab, and just flip back and forth as needed. Tedious at first, but you'll get to see full sentences and paragraphs and how they are put together.

Try translating thoughts and stories that you would tell a friend about. I started describing my day or various incidents at work here on the forum, and having other people correct my errors. If I don't know the proper expression or grammar, I just bull through it word-for-word from English, and they show me the Spanish alternatives. After all, I figure, what would I want to say to someone in Spanish? The same crap I say in English -- this is what I did today, these are my plans for next week, etc.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 02:24 AM   #4
Acosta
Mega Forero

get a significant other that only speak spanish
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 03:49 AM   #5
Uriel
Mega Forero

That helps, too!
Old 20th July 2010, 03:00 PM   #6
timg
Mega Forero

Even though you might feel a little silly doing it, you could try reading aloud in Spanish (reading from a book or newspaper or a web page). This will help get your mouth used to making the Spanish sounds. It'll be quite tiring at first - the shapes your mouth makes speaking Spanish can be quite different to those needed for speaking other languages. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll improve.

suerte,
Tim
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Uriel
Mega Forero

So true. It looks easy on the page, but you're just not used to making certain sequences of sounds. Amazing how much of speech is just muscular memory. Even trying to mimic another accent in your own language shows you that!
Old 26th July 2010, 09:26 PM   #8
DarrenGriz
Loves Grammar

There is no single solution, but there is an entire constellation of possibilities:

Hide your watch and ask people what time it is. (Not recommended if you have a wild-eyed freaky look.)
Join a language club. Or start one.
Get the vocabulary together, then order food in a Spanish/Mexican/? restaurant. (You didnīt mention where you lived, so I donīt know how possible this is for you.)

BEST TIP OF ALL: Resign yourself to sounding strange to your own ears and feeling foolish and incompetent. Beginners often are too critical of their skills and mistakes. You could never learn to ride a bike by watching training videos. You have to ride, and fall off, then get back on!
DarrenGriz is offline   Reply With Quote