Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 28th June 2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Do you like camping?

Just saw this quote flash up above my gmail inbox:

Quote:
"Camping is nature's way of promoting the motel business."
How true! I love the idea of camping, but have never really enjoyed the reality. You are either too hot, too cold, too uncomfortable, or too annoyed by other campers - usually a combination of all the above!

Any happy campers out there? Anyone ever had a good tent experience in Spain?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 09:18 AM   #2
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Never been, and never likely to!!!! (apart from when I was in the scouts!) The idea of a camping holiday absolutely horrifies me, I could think of nothing worse! But each to their own, many thousands love it, so long may they continue to enjoy it. We have had free use of a luxury caravan on a 5* site a couple of times, it's big, 8 berth etc, but I must confess I don't really enjoy that either. And can you believe they rent for nearly £800 a week in summer!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
pedroenespana
pedroenespana

I love the "idea" of camping but my girlfriend won't go with me unless it's a five star resort
pedroenespana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 09:29 AM   #4
omeyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroenespana View Post
I love the "idea" of camping but my girlfriend won't go with me unless it's a five star resort
Sounds like a sensible girl! Especially if you are paying!
Old 28th June 2008, 10:47 AM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Just saw this quote flash up above my gmail inbox:

How true! I love the idea of camping, but have never really enjoyed the reality. You are either too hot, too cold, too uncomfortable, or too annoyed by other campers - usually a combination of all the above!

Camping is a thing dad do with their lads, probably once, twice at the most. Mrs C will only consider a tent with at least 2 stories. As a mad, impetuous youth my college friends and I went off to the Costa Brava by train to camp for the summer. We camped in Lloret de Mar more or less where the football ground is now. It lasted 2 nights. On the second night there was a massive electrical storm which flooded us out. We spent the night in the toilet block. Next morning as my mates were drying stuff out and separating their belongings from an assortment of drowned fauna I set off muttering my never agains towards the town. I sourced a Pension, twin room and shared shower which was actually cheaper than the camp site fees.It was in Pasatje del Puig (I think), anyway its still there despite the remodeling of Lloret and overlooks the road that now covers the massive storm drain down the centre of the resort

Last edited by gary; 28th June 2008 at 10:51 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Marina
NFS Admin

I prefer the 5 start hotel option as well
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 12:03 PM   #7
tad
virtual idiot

Anybody go to Glastonbury this year I wonder, or are we all past it
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 01:01 PM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Camping is a point of contention in my husehold. My wife and kids want to go every now and then but having spent the first 4 years in the army assigned to the infantry and living in the field at least 60% of the time, I am in no rush to enjoy what nature has to offer without indoor plumbing, electricity, a bed with a mattress and clean sheets, etc.. Five star accomodations better yet serve my "camping needs" as well.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Diana
Super Forero

Well, I cannot say I love real camping but we do have a caravan with good beds. Since we are able to go to places off season, we can enjoy empty or fairly empty camping sites. To be truthful we spend very little time at the site though. We bike or hike about the area, do some sightseeing and then take off for another place. If it rains any length of time, off we go. Works for us but I guess it isn't really camping.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 02:07 PM   #10
MrMark
Convert to vinos

I've enjoyed camping in the UK (so long as the site has a shop and shower facilities), but it's very much a summer activity. Having said that, I'm not sure I would find it comfortable in the heat of a Spanish summer. I may try camping one year in somewhere like Cantabria where the summer is milder and there's plenty of free space. Also , I don't think I'd care to do it for more than a few days either; I'd certainly book a hotel room for the last couple of nights if I was going camping for a week or more. Wimp factor 7.5 I suppose!
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 04:13 PM   #11
ksgrossman
Super Forero

Camping is an activity I've mostly enjoyed with my kids. We've had some wonderful times together that have resulted in some great stories. Late-night campfires and early-morning silence make up for the hard ground and the dirt.

I don't know whether my camping experiences will continue once my kids are out of the house and meds and orthopedic shoes are part of my camping gear.
ksgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 04:40 PM   #12
omeyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
I've enjoyed camping in the UK (so long as the site has a shop and shower facilities), but it's very much a summer activity.
We have just spent the last few hours walking the coast path here, and we saw lots of tents, people setting up tents, and thought of this thread!
Some are simply plonked in a field, I guess their thoughts on toilet facilities, or complete lack of them, are different to mine! Great fun at the moment, as it's a lovely afternoon, but that's not guaranteed to last!
Old 28th June 2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Edith
Pangolin Forero

I used to enjoy camping as a kid (when my parents had to do all the hard work! ), now I would prefer staying in a caravan or a bungalow if given the option. I'm not really a hotel person.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 05:14 PM   #14
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
Anybody go to Glastonbury this year I wonder, or are we all past it
Michael my son is going to Leeds Festival at the end of Aug - currently they are saving wood for the fire so access to the garage is very limited.

I shall be 'camping' out in barcelona - student accomodation with a shared shower is as near as I'm prepared to get. Wimp factor 8.5

Last edited by gary; 28th June 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 28th June 2008, 05:51 PM   #15
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Wimp factor 8.5

After a certain age, we can always say those flimsy mattresses make our backs hurt too much. And it's true!!!
Old 29th June 2008, 07:15 AM   #16
camiann
Novato

I enjoyed camping all throughout my childhood. We would go up to the mountains in Utah in the usa. Ride horses, swim in the river, fishing, campfires and cooking in the dutch oven. I tried to take my european husband last year and to say the least it wasn't his favorite vacation. I can't wait to find some good spots to camp on the beach in spain.
camiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 10:45 AM   #17
richardksa
Jedi Forero

When I was young I camped with various youth organisations. None of these down-filled sleeping bags or rubber matresses for us. On arrival at the campsite we were given empty palliasses which we had to fill from the supplied pile of of straw bales. On that I laid the two army blankets my mother had sewn together as my sleeping bag. My pillow was a rolled up towel. There were six of us in a huge wig-wam of a tent. Did we sleep? Did we heck!
Later, camping independently, a friend and I arrived at a site in a national park and found we had forgotten the tent poles. So we used our knives to cut down a couple of saplings. No one asked where we got them from!
Before the oil industry dragged itself into the modern world our accomodation was always tents. Sleeping under canvass in the middle of the African bush could be unnerving. Sometime we would find lion paw prints around the tents in the morning! One of my colleagues entertained an unexpected hyena one night and don't even mention the things that creep and crawl in the dark: Camel spiders, scorpions and snakes. And the noise! The bush becomes alive at night. Sleep was almost impossible.
Those holiday shows on TV about being under canvass in the Rift Valley or somewhere display a level of luxury we didn't even know existed!
Later on, with a family, I dragged a 5 berth caravan around Europe for a few years. I enjoyed that very much. It was the only way we could ever afford to stay at San Tropez for the summer! Or with a young family, afford to stay anywhere. I towed that caravan tens of thousands of kilometres. Wonderful times meeting wonderful people. That, I strongly recommend.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 12:07 PM   #18
gary
Samuri Forero

I have often fancied 6 weeks in a hired mobile home/camper van, fly out to Santander/Bilbao, hire the thing and wander for a month or six weeks with the occasional stay in a pension or parador - does this count as camping?
Old 29th June 2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Sleeping under canvass in the middle of the African bush could be unnerving. Sometime we would find lion paw prints around the tents in the morning! One of my colleagues entertained an unexpected hyena one night and don't even mention the things that creep and crawl in the dark: Camel spiders, scorpions and snakes. And the noise! The bush becomes alive at night. Sleep was almost impossible.
Now that's what I call camping! I don't think I would get much sleep though; I would keep thinking of those lions. Bears also like to visit campgrounds. I remember spending a sleepless night on the back seat of a locked car in the Colorado Rockies - it was during the first week of September, and the place was completely abandoned.
Old 29th June 2008, 12:56 PM   #20
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I don't like the idea of camping if it means staying in the same place for days on end, though Glastonbury is the exception to this since there is so much going on that he camping part is secondary. However I love trekking and hiking, and putting my tent down in a different place each night. My best experience of this was in a fantastic piece of jungle between Panama and Colombia called the Darian. We travelled by foot or dugout canoe through the jungle and slept under mosquito nets and a plastic sheet. I was permanently soaked for 2 weeks, however the sensation of sleeping out in the jungle, surrounded by all that noise and life was incredible.

I also worked in the oil exploration industry and we often had to sleep in strange places. Perhaps the most memorable was in Libya, in the Sahara desert. If there was no accommodation at the well site, I'd sleep on the back of my pickup truck under the clearest and most star-filled skies you could imagine. Sleeping in the trusty old pick-up under the northern lights in Canada was pretty incredible as well.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote