Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 8th August 2008, 12:37 AM   #21
gtappend
Mega Forero

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
You said the same problem existed in Firefox. It now exists in IE.
This suggests to me you run some kind of security software that deactivates browser functions, such as Javascript for example, and now certain things don't work on certain websites.
This may be clutching at a very thin straw, but could the provider by scanning the HTTP stream (eg. in order to add context-relevant ads) and messing up or even removing the javascript code for the multi-quote at the same time?

It might be worth taking a look at the source code from Margot's browser and comparing it with the code that the rest of use receive.
gtappend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 02:15 AM   #22
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappend View Post
This may be clutching at a very thin straw, but could the provider by scanning the HTTP stream (eg. in order to add context-relevant ads) and messing up or even removing the javascript code for the multi-quote at the same time?
It might be worth taking a look at the source code from Margot's browser and comparing it with the code that the rest of use receive.
1.Who is the "provider"? Wouldnt it either be the same as everyone elses - or if not - then wouldnt we all have different providers? Does it even matter ?
2.Where would I find the "source code"? Is it something I could find, copy and paste here?
3.Where are the Java Script settings/permissions etc. stored on ones computer...can they be tweaked?

To re-state the obvious - tho, dummy-me thinks its the heart of the matter:
Whats allowing my computer to put into memory (ie: copy) one quote, which I can, - whilst seemingly preventing it from briefly storing multiple quotes in memory - so they all appear after I hit the "Post Reply" button? Is there a way of seeing whether more than 1 even gets stored? If so - then the problem occurs after I hit the Post Reply - and its just not getting "pasted".

This is worse than deciding to watch grass grow

Also since you've quoted Stuart (Deecree) above (can't include that quote for obvious reasons!)...I'll just say again...I don't run anything other than Norton Anti-Virus and 1 thing I failed to mention before...the free version of Lavasoft Adaware. (which doesnt run in "real time" at all!....I must open it to run a scan...it's not proactive or "real time" protection). No one else has ever used this computer and I know everything that I've installed.

I really appreciate your input Graham (I remember you gave me very good advice once sometime ago cautioning me against installing something.....was it Vista...cant remember...but I heeded your warning)
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 09:08 AM   #23
gtappend
Mega Forero

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
1.Who is the "provider"? Wouldnt it either be the same as everyone elses - or if not - then wouldnt we all have different providers? Does it even matter ?
The provider is the company that allows you to access the internet. If you are at home on in your office, then the provider is going to be a telecommunications company like AT&T, BT, Telefonica, Deutsche Telekom (depending on where you are).

If you are using mobile internet, then it will probably be your mobile phone provider (eg. T-Mobile). Some of these do alter websites that you download to improve the download time, eg. compressing pictures.

So even in one country people use different providers to access the same site. It's just possible that yours is scanning the pages that you read and removing or altering the bit of code that does the multi-quote (a long shot, but possible - take a look at this article on BBC news).

Quote:
2.Where would I find the "source code"? Is it something I could find, copy and paste here?
In Firefox, right-click on the page and select "view source code", or select it from the "view" menu. (I'm guessing at the English translations here).

When you do this, a new window will open with a long multi-coloured text. Select the "save as" option in the menu, and save this showthread.txt (not as the default .php) You can then attach the file to your reply in the forum using the paperclip icon in the reply editor.

We can then compare the code you are receiving to the code that the rest of us receive.

Quote:
3.Where are the Java Script settings/permissions etc. stored on ones computer...can they be tweaked?

Also since you've quoted Stuart (Deecree) above (can't include that quote for obvious reasons!)...I'll just say again...I don't run anything other than Norton Anti-Virus and 1 thing I failed to mention before...the free version of Lavasoft Adaware. (which doesnt run in "real time" at all!....I must open it to run a scan...it's not proactive or "real time" protection). No one else has ever used this computer and I know everything that I've installed.
The javascript options are usually stored within the browser settings. Since both browsers are not working, I agree with Deecree that it must be something outside of the browsers such as a firewall or AV-software. That is why I thought it was worth mentioning the provider. Which version of Norton are you running? When you access an internet page it is temporarily stored on your hard disk (in the so-called cache), and Norton will normally scan that file when it is saved, maybe before the browser has a chance to display it.

Quote:
To re-state the obvious - tho, dummy-me thinks its the heart of the matter:
Whats allowing my computer to put into memory (ie: copy) one quote, which I can, - whilst seemingly preventing it from briefly storing multiple quotes in memory - so they all appear after I hit the "Post Reply" button? Is there a way of seeing whether more than 1 even gets stored? If so - then the problem occurs after I hit the Post Reply - and its just not getting "pasted".
The quotes are not being stored in memory, only the information about which messages to quote. The "quote" button passes this information on for the last message to quote, but the other multi-part quotes are activated using a little bit of Javascript code. It's that little bit of code that is the problem.

If all else fails, would you consider some remote support, ie. letting me access your PC remotely to look at the problem for myself?
Old 8th August 2008, 09:36 AM   #24
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
I'm sometimes unsure if you're "pulling my leg"
I'd only ever do that around 60% of the time. So, if it is 60% of the time, assume I'm pulling your leg; otherwise, assume I'm being serious.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 07:49 PM   #25
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:

Did what you suggested (BTW...is it safe to post it here?)using this actual forum page. Files is on my desktop but rec'd an error message when I tried to post it with the attachment:

showthread.txt:
Your file of 59.0 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

I tried doing the same thing with a very brief forum post...but it still downloaded as 39.4(?)kb

Which version of Norton are you running?
I tried disabling Norton Anti-Virus (2005 - with up-to-date everything, as of yesterday) to see if it made a difference....nope.

The quotes are not being stored in memory, only the information about which messages to quote. The "quote" button passes this information on for the last message to quote, but the other multi-part quotes are activated using a little bit of Javascript code. It's that little bit of code that is the problem.

If all else fails, would you consider some remote support, ie. letting me access your PC remotely to look at the problem for myself? Let me know if I can send the attachment....couldnt seem to find a short enough post
And thanks so much Graham...I'm ..I know its not worth this bother....
Old 9th August 2008, 06:35 PM   #26
gastephen

Default Multiquote

Margot, I think that your issue is probably due to a problem with browser cookies. A cookie is a small item of information saved to your computer (either just in memory or also written to disk) and sent back to the server each time you make a request for a new page. Web servers use these, for example, to keep track of various items of information regarding your browsing session.

As far as I can tell, the way that the multiquote mechanism works is as follows. When you click a multiquote icon in a thread, the page currently in your browser should modify a cookie on your machine containing a list of the post IDs that you want to multiquote. When you then click on 'Quote' or 'Post Reply', your browser sends a request back to the server for the page newreply.php, which brings back the page with the 'Reply to Thread' editing box in it.

The request for newreply has various "query string" parameters attached, depending on which button you pressed.

If you clicked 'Post Reply' it will be something like this:

newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=58380

where the number after p= is the ID of the last post in the thread and the noquote=1 instructs the PHP page not to quote the post when it builds the form to send back to the browser.

If you clicked 'Quote' it will be something like this:

newreply.php?do=newreply&p=58380

This is similar to the above, but as noquote=1 is not included, the PHP will quote the post specified by the variable 'p'.

Now, remember that when the browser makes a request back to the server for a new page, it also sends back all the cookies that have been saved for that server's domain. One of these will specify the IDs of the posts to multiquote and will be read by newreply.php before it builds the contents of the Reply form.

The particular cookie in question is called vbulletin_multiquote, will be defined for the host www.notesfromspain.com, and will have contents such as 43766%2C43765, where %2C represents the character code for ',' (so it is just a comma-separated list of post IDs). If, for whatever reason, this cookie is not presented back to the server when you make a request for newreply.php, then that page will assume that no multiquoting has been selected.

You can manually have a look to check whether or not this cookie is present as follows:

Load a forum thread page in Firefox and activate several multiquote icons, then -

Open Tools / Page Info and go to the Security tab, then click on the View Cookies button. Under 'Site' you should see a bunch of cookies for notesfromspain.com. Look for one with a Cookie Name of vbulletin_multiquote. If it is present you can click on it to select it and then view its details in the bottom panel.

I suspect that vbulletin_multiquote might only exist in memory, in which case, you won't be able to see it via IE, as this only shows you cookies that have been written to disk in your Temporary Internet Files folder (viewable via Tools / Internet Options / General / Browsing History / Settings / View Files in IE7).

To conclude, then, the problem you have could be caused if the vbulletin_multiquote cookie is being blocked. It is possible that security software could be interfering with your browser cookies. The security settings in your browser(s) could also be preventing the cookie from being set.

You might want to check what settings you have in your browser. You can find these in IE under Tools / Internet Options on the Security and Privacy tabs, and in Tools / Options / Privacy in Firefox.

I'd suggest perhaps trying the test above in Firefox to determine whether or not the cookie is actually present after you've selected a few posts for multiquoting, and then, if it is not, further investigating the privacy settings in your browser and/or other security software.

Good luck with it!
Old 9th August 2008, 08:36 PM   #27
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

[quote=gastephen;58445]Margot, I think that your issue is probably due to a problem with browser cookies.
... cookie in question is called vbulletin_multiquote, ... :
Load a forum thread page in Firefox and activate several multiquote icons, then -
Look for one with a Cookie Name of vbulletin_multiquote.
To conclude, then, the problem you have could be caused if the vbulletin_multiquote cookie is beingblocked.[quote]

EUREKA! .....
Dr. Graham aka:Gastephen - (not to be confused with Dr. Graham aka:Gtappend):
I did everything you suggested, using Firefox - but alas no vbulletin cookie......." listed with NFS cookies.
You've obviously pinpointed the (or at least 1 )problem!
The detailed explanation was fantastic -
Now, before I wear out my welcome, I'd best admit defeat and thank everyone who let me pick their brains and gave me all their $$$$$$ professional expertise - ...(I never want to take advantage of peoples professional skills in the forum) - so thanks again guys - you'll never see a multi-quote from me. I surrender and humbly accept my defeat

Last edited by Margot; 9th August 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 9th August 2008, 08:53 PM   #28
gtappend
Mega Forero

Quote:
Did what you suggested (BTW...is it safe to post it here?)using this actual forum page. Files is on my desktop but rec'd an error message when I tried to post it with the attachment:

showthread.txt:
Your file of 59.0 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

I tried doing the same thing with a very brief forum post...but it still downloaded as 39.4(?)kb
You could send it to me by normal e-mail (check your PM for the address), then I'll take a look at it.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:19 PM   #29
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
You could send it to me by normal e-mail (check your PM for the address), then I'll take a look at it.
just sent it (email)
Old 9th August 2008, 09:24 PM   #30
gtappend
Mega Forero

I've taken a quick look at the file, and it shows that you (or your provider...) are running something called "AdSubtract".

Basically that is a program that removes adverts from websites. It also blocks pop-ups and cookies.

Do you know if this is installed on your PC?

If not, take a look in the control panel in "Add/remove programs", or in Firefox under "Add-ons".

Otherwise I'll carry on scanning the code...
Old 9th August 2008, 09:28 PM   #31
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
I've taken a quick look at the file, and it shows that you (or your provider...) are running something called "AdSubtract".

Basically that is a program that removes adverts from websites. It also blocks pop-ups and cookies.

Do you know if this is installed on your PC?

If not, take a look in the control panel in "Add/remove programs", or in Firefox under "Add-ons".

Otherwise I'll carry on scanning the code...
I know about that - however I've done the following: I've closed it entirely and exited it so it's not running...also - I've put NFS into the list where I permit all cookies and ads when Adsubtract is running - just in case
Old 9th August 2008, 09:41 PM   #32
gtappend
Mega Forero

Quote:
I know about that - however I've done the following: I've closed it entirely and exited it so it's not running...also - I've put NFS into the list where I permit all cookies and ads when Adsubtract is running - just in case
Was it closed when you saved the source file? There are still traces of it in the file that you sent to me.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:47 PM   #33
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

I honestly don't remember....I could close it and try again...theres one problem tho,,,when I downloaded firefox the other day it (adsubtract was running) was open...and since I usually connect to the Web while adsubtract is running...i connect thru a "local proxy serer"rather than directly. So when I open Firefox is uses that äddress"...even tho I can subsequently close Adsubtract.

I cant remember where I go to change the address for connecting directly to web - using firefox.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:51 PM   #34
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

ok...found it.....now I'll have to log off...and then log on again...copy a file again and re-post....it'll take me a little time...i'm not that fast......but here goes
Old 9th August 2008, 10:00 PM   #35
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

well graham (germany) I tried multi quoting right here after what i said id do in my previous message...no go!

will now try copying something and emailing it again...itll take me a few mins. - im slooooooo slow
Old 9th August 2008, 10:08 PM   #36
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

mission accomplished (and warning...I copied the message you sent me yesterday so be warned...it very long

)
Old 9th August 2008, 10:10 PM   #37
gastephen

Quote:
i connect thru a "local proxy serer"rather than directly.
Ahhh! If you are using a proxy then that could explain a lot. It sits between your browser and the internet and makes the actual requests to web sites on behalf of the browser (with plenty of scope for 'munging' in the middle).

You can sometimes also get problems with not getting the latest version of pages if a proxy doesn't update its cache properly.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:15 PM   #38
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

right Graham (Wales)...that's why today I exited adsubtract BEFORE following your instructions...but in any case as I said above - I just changed the way Firefox is connecting (its now DIRECT,,,no proxy),,,,so it'll be interesting to see whether Graham (germany) finds its stillshowing up. It was not running nor did I connect thru originally, as was the case before
Old 9th August 2008, 10:23 PM   #39
gtappend
Mega Forero

Well, it's not showing up in the source code this time. I'll comparing the rest of it...
Old 9th August 2008, 10:29 PM   #40
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

'well thats progress...on the other hand...I just tried multi-you--know-whating right here and still...no go!

this isn't how you should be enjoying your day off
saludos
Guilty Margot