Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 21st June 2007, 11:41 PM   #61
Palmerito
El Perro

Great website, Edith! I can't tell you how many e-mails are forwarded to me with some sort of warning of some danger or other. I check them all out with snopes.com and have forwarded the e-mail back to the sender with the snopes.com article attached.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 11:54 PM   #62
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmerito View Post
Great website, Edith! I can't tell you how many e-mails are forwarded to me with some sort of warning of some danger or other. I check them all out with snopes.com and have forwarded the e-mail back to the sender with the snopes.com article attached.
What a great idea, let's send a Snopes link to all our friends!

I'm a real aficionado of the Internet, but unfortunately cyberspace has got its down sides as well, one of them being the proliferation of hoaxes and urban myths. Within a week after 9/11, I received all kinds of Photoshop hoaxes involving 'authentic' pictures of strange paranormal events near the Twin Towers... we got them at the office, from friends, etc.

The Internet is also bristling with all kinds of conspiracy theories which usually target specific ethnic or religious groups.

And then there is the infamous claim involving Tommy Hilfiger's supposed racism - I'm so glad it turned out to be a hoax because I really like his clothing!

http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/hilfiger.asp

Last edited by Edith; 21st June 2007 at 11:57 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 02:00 PM   #63
eldeano
He's the most tip top

And you could always subscribe to This is True - it's free and I've been getting them for years. They are so unbelievable.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 07:40 PM   #64
Paco
Super Forero

Default Oye Jorge M.

la M despues de Jorge que significa? No no me digas. Ya me imagino.... HAAHAHAHAHAHAH....
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 07:41 PM   #65
Paco
Super Forero

Default Edith.

No son los liberales los que mantinen y ayudan a Israel recuerdalo...
Old 25th June 2007, 11:42 PM   #66
Paco
Super Forero

You should be in Nirvana or you are smoking ... today. If you have no guns guess who is going to get them the criminals always have guns and they always will, my brother in law is a warden in one Federal Institution and he told me the inmates make their all weapons with bullets and all. how about that?
Old 26th June 2007, 04:08 AM   #67
Dave_K
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
This is how urban myths are born...

But urban myths need to be debunked:

http://www.snopes.com/
I agree that these are no more than the seeds of future urban legends. The problem is that these things are being communicated by the mainstream media (including "El Pais", disappointingly) as if they are actual news stories.

So what? Well, these things have real effects in the world. For example, in relating the Bubba story to my wife, my suegra asked with serious concern if I also had a gun (I don't), expecting that, being American, I should have one (if not more).
Dave_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 09:40 AM   #68
Paco
Super Forero

Default Dear Dave K.

Go and get a gun, right now ,and vote pro-arm from now on. In my Neck of the woods people are using guns in their belt again, believe me. In the next election when Hillary is going to become president we have to fight her policy of gun control she is not going to control my ...gun let me tell you. And Billy well Billy is going to be very happy going back to the White House and becoming the first Lady.!!!!!!! hahahhaahahaha
Old 26th June 2007, 10:33 AM   #69
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
... And Billy well Billy is going to be very happy going back to the White House and becoming the first Lady.!!!!!!! hahahhaahahaha
Perfect excuse to mix with the other ladies
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 10:43 AM   #70
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Perfect excuse to mix with the other ladies
I would love to see a lady president in the White House, anyway!
No First Lady, but a Lady President! Go for it, Hilary!
Old 26th June 2007, 12:33 PM   #71
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

It would be great to have Hillary in the White House. Just getting rid of the current idiot and his band of right wing, money grubbing incompetents will do a lot to improve the situation in the US and the abroad. Especially increasing gun control to avoid further Virginia Techs and Columbines. I am also more than tired of being embarrassed of my country's doings.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 01:32 PM   #72
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
The problem is that these things are being communicated by the mainstream media (including "El Pais", disappointingly) as if they are actual news stories.
This is bugging me too. The media can never be fully trusted because they are often more interested in making profits than in dealing with facts. After all, it's the story which counts, and bad stories simply do not sell! Unfortunately, it's often the public which decides which kind of story it wants to hear. Telling outright lies is something most quality news media tend to avoid, but there are many other tactics to slant the truth, if only just a little.

Quote:
Well, these things have real effects in the world.
Unfortunately, this is true, especially when the media are playing into pre-existing beliefs and prejudices regarding other nationalities, races or groups.

Last edited by Edith; 26th June 2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 27th June 2007, 04:29 PM   #73
Paco
Super Forero

Default Hey that will be wonderful

Hilary in the White House, Billy having sex in the Oval Office again and showing in the tabloids again and again now in his new Position as First lady and people are going to start disappering again like in the last Clinton administration... Will be just wonderful.

Last edited by Paco; 27th June 2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 27th June 2007, 04:41 PM   #74
Paco
Super Forero

Default Edith now in Amsterdam

Now in Amsterdam things are getting a kind of Gray for the Liberals, I read the other day in the newspaper, some of the "ladies of the Night" are loosing their licenses and their business are getting closed, also some of the coffe shops are not allowed to sell... well they are selling only coffee and if you want to smoke p... you wont be able to do it. I guess they got tire of the Liberals destroying the country. Well if Hilary gets the White House you are safe Edith, you may even have one of those Amsterdam coffee shop in front of the White House, . Billy is going to enjoy this, he probably is going to bribe a doctor to diagnose Glaucoma for him so he will be safe going into one of those Coffee shop after all he never inhaled.

Last edited by Paco; 27th June 2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 27th June 2007, 04:54 PM   #75
Paco
Super Forero

Smile yes Valencia.

But you are not embarrassed of the whole non sense you post in this Forum and how a person so vias is a moderator for a Forum I would like for somebody to explain that to me.
Old 27th June 2007, 05:31 PM   #76
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

It's quite simple, the truth is the ultimate defense.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 07:35 PM   #77
Paco
Super Forero

Default Pathetic

hahahahahah Just pathetic...
Old 28th June 2007, 01:08 AM   #78
JorgeM
Paquirringo Starr

Hola Paquito:
La M que va detrás de Jorge significa muchas cosas, probablemente más de las que tu limitada inteligencia pueda llegar a imaginar.
No sé si realmente eres así de tonto o, simplemente, eres un provocador. Si se trata de la primera opción es realmente penoso, y tienes mi compasión. Si, por el contrario, se da el caso de la segunda opción te diré que lo haces rematadamente mal y, por tanto, también tienes mi compasión.
La compasión de un buen ateo anticlerical.
Saludos, y no me dispares con tu pistolita, por favor.
JorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 01:03 PM   #79
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeM View Post
Hola Paquito:
No sé si realmente eres así de tonto o, simplemente, eres un provocador.
Me gustan las provocadores. Hay imagenes pero no puedo publicarlas aquí. (Lo siento Sir R)
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote