Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 25th May 2006, 05:18 AM   #21
Netsirksmada
Forero

Fourth year language. I'm a junior.
Netsirksmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 01:41 AM   #22
celia s
Forero Senior

Default spanish guitar music

Hi,has anyone listened to the Andalusian flamenco guitarist,Vicente Amigo?He is amazing!Playing instrumental guitar with incredibly complicated flamenco rhythms.He seems destined to succeed Paco de lucia,if that is possible!I have just bought his dvd of a live concert in Cordoba.Highly recommended.
celia s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 03:12 AM   #23
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by celia s
Hi,has anyone listened to the Andalusian flamenco guitarist,Vicente Amigo?He is amazing!Playing instrumental guitar with incredibly complicated flamenco rhythms.He seems destined to succeed Paco de lucia,if that is possible!I have just bought his dvd of a live concert in Cordoba.Highly recommended.
Celia,

Thanks for the suggestion! He's available on iTunes, so I purchased "Ciudad de las Ideas." It's very, very good.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 03:46 AM   #24
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Are the Gypsy Kings considered Spanish musicians? They sound like flamenco but think they're from France.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 10:00 PM   #25
deleste
Forero

They're Mexican, not Spanish, but Los De Abajo are fantastic, especially their second CD. If you can catch them live (they're in the UK at the moment), they're a great night out.
deleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 12:35 AM   #26
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
Are the Gypsy Kings considered Spanish musicians? They sound like flamenco but think they're from France.
The Gypsy Kings did a sizzling version of "Sing, Sing, Sing" with the band Chicago a few years back, a very fun record to listen to.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 12:50 AM   #27
guapo
Mega Forero

I'll second that, I also purchased this today on iTunes after reading it here. Muchas gracias!
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 08:02 PM   #28
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

I would recommend Diana Navarro, Bebe, Luar Na Lubre (a group from Galicia), Coti, Amaral, Niña Pastori, Estopa, CHambao, etc, etc
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 08:40 PM   #29
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleste
They're Mexican, not Spanish, but Los De Abajo are fantastic, especially their second CD. If you can catch them live (they're in the UK at the moment), they're a great night out.
According to their website, The Gypsy Kings are gypsies from southern France:

Over the years the Gipsy Kings—whose members hail from the gypsy settlements in Arles and Montpelier in the south of France—have included singers and guitarists from the Reyes (Canut, Nicolas, Pablo and Patchai) and Baliardo families (Diego, Paco and Tonino). Lead singer Nicolas Reyes is the son of famed Flamenco singer José Reyes, who, with Manitas de Plata, sold millions of records in the 1960s and 70s. The band’s vigorous guitar work and passionate vocals are the trademarks of an indigenous musical tradition known as “rumba flamenca.”
There are no other examples of a non-English speaking band (the group’s language is the Gypsy dialect of gitane) with such a consistent winning streak in the U.S., where the group is the biggest-selling French act ever. Since the 1987 release of the international hit single “Bamboleo,” from their platinum-selling eponymous debut album, the Gipsy Kings have dominated the World Music charts and sold more than fourteen million albums worldwide—more than four million in the United States alone. Their platinum compilation, The Best of the Gipsy Kings, was on the charts for more than a year.
Albums such as the gold-certified Mosaique, Allegria, Este Mundo, Gipsy Kings Live, Love & Liberté, Tierra Gitana, Cantos de Amor, and Volare! The Very Best of the Gipsy Kingshave provided a steady stream of hits to Billboard’s world music, Latin, and pop charts. The ensemble’s music has been used in numerous motion pictures, including Peter Weir’s “Fearless” and Joel and Ethan Coen’s “The Big Lebowski.”
Two PBS-TV specials have contributed to the Gipsy Kings’ ongoing success story. A documentary, “Tierra Gitana,” which aired on hundreds of public television stations in 1996, explores the band’s roots in gypsy culture and the members’ rich family heritage in flamenco music. Filmed in concert and in the Gypsy camps of Arles, “Tierra Gitana” provides a glimpse at the vanishing lifestyle of a vibrant traditional people. The hour-long film was released as a home video in December 1996. A second program, filmed in performance at Washington, DC’s Wolf Trap, captures the excitement of the band’s live show in a 60-minute special; it was broadcast on many PBS stations.
For the group’s most recent release, Roots, the core members of the Gipsy Kings settled into a stone villa in the small town of St-Andre-de-Bueges in the south of France, where they collaborated with producer Craig Street on the Grammy-nominated acoustic release, Roots. For the first time in years, the band recorded without a drum kit, synthesizer, or electric bass, bringing the music closer to its Flamenco origins. Billboard called the record a “treasure,” and People said, “Way beyond the strictures of language, these 16 songs will resonate with anyone who loves heartfelt, meticulously performed music.”

Source:

http://www.nonesuch.com/Hi_Band/bio....ipsy_kings.gif#

Los de Abajo are from Mexico, though. They named themselves after a story from Mexican novelist Mariano Azuela about the role of the poor during the Mexican Revolution. Hence, los de abajo, the underdogs.

Last edited by Edith; 10th August 2006 at 08:44 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 04:33 PM   #30
guapo
Mega Forero

for those of you with a liking for the music of Ojos de Brujo I just noticed that a new EP - Todo Tiende has appeared on iTunes. It features some remixes of tracks from their last album Techari.

If you head over to the Ojos de Brujo web site you can download some of the tracks for free.

Links follow:

todo tiende (radio edit)
Sultanas de Merkaillo (videoclip audio)
Piedras Contra Tanques (radio edit)
Old 13th August 2006, 04:34 PM   #31
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Anyone hear of the Pinkertones, alternative group out of Barcelona?
Old 13th August 2006, 04:54 PM   #32
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
Anyone hear of the Pinkertones, alternative group out of Barcelona?
Can't say I have. Found this review on NPR with a quick sample though. Tell us more....
Old 13th August 2006, 06:13 PM   #33
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Cool

The Pinkertones is an alternative band out of Barcelona. Listen to this podcast where they were interviewed on NPR's Latino USA.
Old 19th August 2006, 01:09 AM   #34
Chiny
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Jaynes
Manu Chao, not sure if Mexican but what the hey, very good anyway
Excellent stuff. ISTR that he is Spanish but lived in France from an early age with his parents fleeing Franco. His Spanish sounds South American to me. The description of a concert in Columbia... all the audience with guns

--
Chiny
Chiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 12:11 AM   #35
Señora
Forero

This is what I have in my collection......

Shakira, Carlos Vives, Chayanne, Cafe Quijano,Sergio Dalma, Juanes, Enrique Iglesias, Gloria Estefan,Ojos De Brujo ( Barí, Vengue, Techari ) plus many "Todo Exitos"

-----
Señora
Señora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 11:22 PM   #36
Francisco Javier
Forero

If you like independent music, music of radio 3 I have several recommendations:

in the last ten years perhaps I would stand out:

Los Planetas
Los Enemigos
Los Hermanos Dalton
Los Piratas(Iván Ferreiro) ... All begin with "Los ..." .

Currently I recommend Deluxe and very interesting Argentinian group Babasónicos(Anoche,Infame...).

And if you prefer mod music Los Flechazos from Leon, Currently Copper.
Francisco Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 12:10 AM   #37
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Javier
If you like independent music, music of radio 3 I have several recommendations:
does radio 3 refer to the RNE-3 that I can hear here http://www.rtve.es/rne/web/index.php?

out of interest how would you classify the programmes played on the other national Spanish radio stations? Radio 5 Todo Noticias and Radio Clásica are obvious but what about radio 1 and 4? Are they mostly music stations?
Old 21st August 2006, 12:10 AM   #38
intrepida1981
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Javier
If you like independent music, music of radio 3 I have several recommendations...
I suggest another Spanish independent and psychedelic band called Sidonie On their website http://www.sidonie.net/ you'll be able to listen some of the songs of their last album called Fascinado:

which is sung in Spanish altough they used to sing in English... Maybe the singer's pronunciation is difficult to understand at first but you can find the lyrics easily on their site. They are pretty good I think

Songs from Fascinado:

1. Fascinado
2. Dos Murciélagos
3. Bohéme
4. Fiebre
5. Jardín Polar
6. Gente de Barrett
7. Joe
8. Acrobacias en Exopotamia
9. MTA
10. Tienes Gracia
11. Viajero Nocturno

Last edited by intrepida1981; 21st August 2006 at 12:13 AM.
intrepida1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 07:13 PM   #39
koki142
Euskadi

You should listen to "Amaral", they have been working on the music world for more than ten years, but is a couple of years ago that their work started to be recognized.

Listen to Amaral and "El universo sobre mi" song!
koki142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 11:55 PM   #40
Tony
Super Forero

Thumbs up Hay mucha musica maravillosa en Espana!

Hi I am new to NFS and have just set up my details so I hope it all goes well anyway I started listening to spanish rock and pop about 2 years ago and its sooooooooooooo good I cant believe it isnt more popular.

Me gusta mucho las musica pop y rock en espanol. Mis bandas favoritas son Amaral (Pajaros en la cabeza), El canto del Loco (Zapatillas), La orega de Van Gogh (Lo que te conte mientras te hacias la dormida), Mana, Juanes y mucho mas.

The above album by Eva Amaral was the best selling album in Spain last year and once you hear it you will know why! - Get it now!!
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote