Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 2nd January 2007, 11:48 AM   #61
britinbangkok
Forero

The big problem with Starbucks (which I never frequent any more by the way) is that they deliberately try to close down their competition.

I used to live in Santa Monica, California just off an amazing street called Montana Avenue. On that 12 block strip there were about 19 coffee shops and two of them were Starbucks. I went to one called Seattle's Best Coffee - every day for more than 5 years. It was a fabulous coffee shop where everyone knew everyone and where you could go and hang out for hours. I used to go at 7am and some days not leave until 5pm. Then Starbucks decided that they were too much of a threat so.....they bought out the company. They promised to keep the cafe open but, surprise, surprise they closed it down within 2 months.

Now they've done the same with another rival company, Diedrichs. The only other coffee shop on the street worth going to. A friend of mine told me they were closing down at the end of September.

I HATE Starbucks and it would be a cold day in hell before I ever bought coffee there again. I'd die of thirst first.
britinbangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:52 PM   #62
felipe
Forero

Here in Hobart we have had a Starbucks for a few months. Hard to imagine why they would come here given that in a small city of 200,000 people the city centre already had 52 places where you could buy GOOD coffee.
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:55 AM   #63
Jimmy
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe View Post
Here in Hobart we have had a Starbucks for a few months. Hard to imagine why they would come here given that in a small city of 200,000 people the city centre already had 52 places where you could buy GOOD coffee.

Just like McDonalds are not in the burger industry, so too Starbucks are not in the coffee industry. They are both fronts for being in realestate !!!

Which stores position themselves in the best locations ??????
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 03:26 AM   #64
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinbangkok View Post
The big problem with Starbucks (which I never frequent any more by the way) is that they deliberately try to close down their competition.

I used to live in Santa Monica, California just off an amazing street called Montana Avenue. On that 12 block strip there were about 19 coffee shops and two of them were Starbucks. I went to one called Seattle's Best Coffee - every day for more than 5 years. It was a fabulous coffee shop where everyone knew everyone and where you could go and hang out for hours. I used to go at 7am and some days not leave until 5pm. Then Starbucks decided that they were too much of a threat so.....they bought out the company. They promised to keep the cafe open but, surprise, surprise they closed it down within 2 months.
I live in Torrance but I used to live in the West LA and spent alot of time in that part of Santa Monica. Actually I remember when they decided to redo that street in the early 90s. Funny thing prior to that Westwood was the place to be and after that Westwood even though next to UCLA has been struggling more to be that in place to go. With that said yes I know the startbucks there that you are thinking of and also the other coffee Diedrichs is-was quite nice. Oddly I have seen a few of them still in Orange county.......
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 03:42 AM   #65
britinbangkok
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe View Post
Felipe, because their intent will be to do what they have done almost everywhere else. Open up, get some business, look like they're 'part of the community' and then start to buy out the smaller coffee places to decrease their competition.

If you'll notice, they open in areas NEAR other coffee shops and then do everything they can to steal their business.

I'm in Thailand and I will walk a mile to a local Thai cafe before I'll frequent Starbucks. Their business practices people are the scum of the earth as far as I'm concerned.

Acosta, they just bought out Diedrichs about 3 months ago I think, so the word on 'the street' :-) is that all their other locations will be closing down in the next year also. I was never a big fan of Diedrichs coffee (too strong) but their location on Montana Ave was fabulous. I'm sure Starbucks will love being there (they have 2 stores on that street already and are planning on opening two more apparently? I mean, HOW MANY Starbucks do you need?)
Old 3rd January 2007, 04:43 AM   #66
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinbangkok View Post
Felipe, because their intent will be to do what
Acosta, they just bought out Diedrichs about 3 months ago I think, so the word on 'the street' :-) is that all their other locations will be closing down in the next year also. I was never a big fan of Diedrichs coffee (too strong) but their location on Montana Ave was fabulous. I'm sure Starbucks will love being there (they have 2 stores on that street already and are planning on opening two more apparently? I mean, HOW MANY Starbucks do you need?)
understood.

With that said did you enjoy your time in Santa Monica? If you knew of the prominad then I am sure you knew the british stores that were there.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 01:47 AM   #67
Jerezano
Forero

I loathe the fact that Starbucks is present in such a country as Spain, and they have earned my eternal derision for having set up shop directly opposite the Catedral of Seville.

"Nihil sanctimusne?"
Jerezano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 04:48 AM   #68
britinbangkok
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
understood.

With that said did you enjoy your time in Santa Monica? If you knew of the prominad then I am sure you knew the british stores that were there.
Hey:

Yes, I LOVE Santa Monica - lived there for 5 years. I don't like the US (have no real interest in ever living there again, even after 23 years there), but if I DID ever move back I would only move to Santa Monica. It's beautiful, the weather is perfect, the people are liberal-minded and friendly and it's just a nice lifestyle. I have great friends there too.